reciprocal linking

• simmi
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • simmi

Post 3+ Months Ago

hi :)

Can anybody advised me that is reciprocal linking is good for getting high rankings or not yesterday i was going through one aticle and it said google considered it as SPAM it said that its a BLACK HAT SEO TECHNIEQUE

help is needed. comments are welcome

reagrds
simmi
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• meman
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: London Town , Apples and pears and all that crap

Post 3+ Months Ago

It's not blackhat and it's npot spam. But if you are going to reciporal link only do it with a few highly related sites otherwise the links will be useless.
  • bebsie
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • bebsie
  • Loc: Philippines

Post 3+ Months Ago

i agree, it's not black hat. If it's from/to a related content and with good PR, it would increase your PR..
  • sezerb
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • sezerb

Post 3+ Months Ago

Try gaining backlinks too and not just reciprocal.
  • Millsons Leather
  • Student
  • Student
  • Millsons Leather
  • Loc: Uganda

Post 3+ Months Ago

You should pay more attention to get more backlinks than reciprocal links.

Its ok if you get reciprocal link but it should be related to your website and with better PR which will help you get good PR too.

You can also submit RSS or blog submission.

Or submission os articles will also be of beneficial for your websites popularity.

Puneet.
  • john5269
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • john5269

Post 3+ Months Ago

I don't really bother with Reciprocal links. I don't really see any point in them. I have tried them and find it much less hassle to get one way links and you can still find sites that have a high PR.
  • sergeyrusak
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • sergeyrusak

Post 3+ Months Ago

Are you kidding me, it is good way to create good traffic and perfect way to get better pr. Google count reciprocal links but give them less power. But still...
I really don't know who started this panic. All forums and article websites i just see posts like this.
  • meman
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

yeah reciprocol links on related sites are great at bringing targeted traffic.
And targeted traffic is what it is all about isn't it?
  • john5269
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • john5269

Post 3+ Months Ago

sergeyrusak wrote:
Are you kidding me, it is good way to create good traffic and perfect way to get better pr. Google count reciprocal links but give them less power. But still...
I really don't know who started this panic. All forums and article websites i just see posts like this.

I have done reciprocal linking for about 1 year in the past and I know that it was a waste of time. When you have the submission forms on your site people link back to yours, but put your site on a place that can't even be found by the search engines or they put you on a bad site.

With one way links you just add your links to the site and you don't then get emails every month saying, where is my link, I can't find it, have you moved it, when you haven't even touched it and it is in the totally same place.

Once way links are the best things to get and the easiest, but I do still reciprocate on one of my sites, and it does work well there.
  • quantumcloud
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Dhaka, Bangladesh

Post 3+ Months Ago

Reciprocal linking works well if you choose the partner carefully and pay attention to where you are getting your links from. Also most experienced webmasters do 3 way linking, so Google has no way of knowing these are link exchanges. Every link counts.

I will even go as far as to say that even if it is not related site those links help. If the backlink is from a high PR but non-related site, your PR will increase still. This is a proven fact. When your PR increases you will be able to exchange links with more quality sites and pages. Your bargain power increases and you can get links from related sites to help you better rank in serp.
  • meman
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Linking for the sake of PR is something i would advise against. If google see a PR 6 site about cars linking to a PR0 site about gardening do you not think they will think it's a bit suspect? Why would this PR6 site link to an unknown new site that has a completely different topic? Google will give that link very little credit and you will be wasting your time.

When it comes to links relevancy, trust rank and quality > PR.

SERPS are what you want to increase, not PR. Otherwise you get caught in this PR game and you end up with a PR7 site that no one visits because it's never going to appear in the SERPS. So no one clicks your adverts and no one buys your products.

If you only want to make a few $ from selling text links to other people who have got caught up in this PR fad then sure, Spend your time increasing PR.

If you are serious about attracting visitors, Becoming a trusted site in your induustry and selling lots or products then you should be a million times more worried about SERPS.
  • quantumcloud
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

A site can link to an unrelated site for various reasons. It can be just design credit. Or it can be a co-venture of the same company. Also I would not overestimate the Google algorithm. It has to work within a flexible boundary too to match with the reality of how it is.

And pr may not be very important for high ranking in SERP. It has 2 very important roles.

1. Sentimental value. Still a lot of webmasters and site owners think PR is important for site value and ranking. Let us not forget the practicality here. I doubt anyone is very much interested in a backlink from a pr 0 site no matter how relevent it is. So as I said, even unrelated links from high pr sites give you a bargaining power to negotiate a 3 way linking with a quality related site

2. A good PR like 5/6 indicates that the site is not banned and has been online for enough time to earn it. Thus, it has a good trust rank.

The summary of the matter is ranking in SERPs is the most important factor, of course. But PR helps to get high ranking in SERPs.
  • meman
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

1. sentimental value is no value. It's only valuable if you are interested in exchanging links with other people who simply fail to grasp how unimportant PR is. I tend to stay away from them people, They oviously don't know what they are doing and i have no interest in linking to them from my site.

2. pr 1 also indicates that a site isn't banned. doing a google search for the domain shows that the site isn't banned. You don't need high PR to see a site isn't banned.

Quote:
But PR helps to get high ranking in SERPs.

It is one of the minor factors in a list of over 200 factors. It certainly doesn't deserve all this attention people give it. (and that is REAL PR, Not useless innacurate outdated 1 to 10 PR that we see)

I don't know why people have such a hard time letting go of this fallacy that PR has some kind of important value. people spend more time looking at that *peach* green bar than they do looking at thier visitor stats.
  • debarati
  • debarati
  • Loc: India

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
simmi wrote:

Can anybody advised me that is reciprocal linking is good for getting high rankings or not yesterday i was going through one aticle and it said google considered it as SPAM it said that its a BLACK HAT SEO TECHNIEQUE

help is needed. comments are welcome

reagrds
simmi

Simmi, the article what you read must have said...a page having too many links or only links without texts or contents will be a spam. Also the page you are linking to must serve to almost the same topic.

Actually first it was reciprocal linking. Now Google as emphasised on 3-way linking.

i.e you have page A and B. Other person has page C

Now, if C links to page A, you will provide a back link to C from B (and not from A). which in turn comes to 1-way links

Thus both of you get benefited. Also as told earlier, if you get 1-way links that is also good for PR. You will get 1-way links by Articles, Forums, paid links etc.

Quote:
I also use 2 blogs for 3-way links

http://www.findnews.blogspot.com
http://travelstours.blogspot.com
  • quantumcloud
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
1. sentimental value is no value. It's only valuable if you are interested in exchanging links with other people who simply fail to grasp how unimportant PR is. I tend to stay away from them people, They oviously don't know what they are doing and i have no interest in linking to them from my site.

Yeah, in an ideal world everyone would be so intelligent and wise that there would be no war. lol. And saying that you would not link to a good site because the site webmaster is not a whiz in SEO does not lend the statement any credit.

Quote:
2. pr 1 also indicates that a site isn't banned. doing a google search for the domain shows that the site isn't banned. You don't need high PR to see a site isn't banned.

Yeah, many ways to check that. And it is advisable to check in all ways possible. So what? PR is one good way. I know all about the relevency and PR factor. I still would not want to link to a site from one of my pr 5 page in exchange for pr 0 link. For me PR is a good indicator of how good the site is. It just works. In my searches I hardly came across sites with high PR that are worthless in what I am looking for.

Quote:
It is one of the minor factors in a list of over 200 factors.

In my personal opinion it is not so minor.

Quote:
It certainly doesn't deserve all this attention people give it. (and that is REAL PR, Not useless innacurate outdated 1 to 10 PR that we see)

Who says it has to deserve it? Just because people(webmasters) pay the attention is a strong factor in itself if you can use the fact wisely.

Quote:
I don't know why people have such a hard time letting go of this fallacy that PR has some kind of important value. people spend more time looking at that *peach* green bar than they do looking at thier visitor stats.

I agree with that.
  • meman
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
Yeah, in an ideal world everyone would be so intelligent and wise that there would be no war. lol. And saying that you would not link to a good site because the site webmaster is not a whiz in SEO does not lend the statement any credit.

If a webmaster is hung up on pagerank i can't trust them not to do something stupid like use doorway pages, cloaking or spamming. I don't want to be assosiated with them. I only want to link to sites run by people who understand google and understand what is important. Which is quality of content and quality of backlinks.

Quote:
In my personal opinion it is not so minor.

do a google search, you will see low PR sites appearing before high PR sites all the time. If it was a major factor then google wouldn't give it such little importance when they are ordering serps. If it had any kind of importance google would order serps based on pagerank, And they don't

Quote:
Who says it has to deserve it? Just because people(webmasters) pay the attention is a strong factor in itself if you can use the fact wisely.

Unfortunately google dont use what webmasters think is important in thier algo.
No amount of belief makes something a reality.
  • quantumcloud
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
If a webmaster is hung up on pagerank i can't trust them not to do something stupid like use doorway pages, cloaking or spamming. I don't want to be assosiated with them. I only want to link to sites run by people who understand google and understand what is important. Which is quality of content and quality of backlinks.

A fallacy of gross generalization.

Quote:
do a google search, you will see low PR sites appearing before high PR sites all the time. If it was a major factor then google wouldn't give it such little importance when they are ordering serps. If it had any kind of importance google would order serps based on pagerank, And they don't

I have done and every day do my share of google searches. It is the other way around most of the times. High PR sites usually rank higher in serp. Not because Google algo gives high PR more value, but because of the side effects of high PR that I mentioned.

Quote:
Unfortunately google dont use what webmasters think is important in thier algo.

Fortunately, webmasters are the ones responsible for all kinds of things that Google do use. If you can convince a large group of webmasters, in whatnot ways you can manipulate google! The living prrof is the "GOOGLEBOMB" factor. How many Govt. sites linked to Bush biography to produce high serp for 'miserable failure' is a question of utmost interest.

Quote:

The definition of reality itself is obscure at the best. It is a reality that taking PR into account helps. It helped me.
  • meman
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
A fallacy of gross generalization.

How can it be? It's my opinion.. If a webmaster is running round worrying about PR i don't want to link to them. Sorry if you don't like it, But that's how it is.

Quote:
It is the other way around most of the times. High PR sites usually rank higher in serp. Not because Google algo gives high PR more value, but because of the side effects of high PR that I mentioned.

Sometimes it may be the case, but unless higher PR sites ALWAYS appear above lower PR sites we have to assume that the PR has very little effect on the serps.
Backlinks are important, Not PR. Backlinks cause PR, Backlinks increase serps. That does not mean PR increases serps. You are mixing up cause and effect.

Quote:
Fortunately, webmasters are the ones responsible for all kinds of things that Google do use. If you can convince a large group of webmasters, in whatnot ways you can manipulate google! The living prrof is the "GOOGLEBOMB" factor. How many Govt. sites linked to Bush biography to produce high serp for 'miserable failure' is a question of utmost interest.

A googlebomb is nothing to do with pagerank what so ever.
It's caused by backlinks not PR.

You have to understand that just because backlinks are important and backlinks cause PR that does not make PR important.

Quote:
The definition of reality itself is obscure at the best. It is a reality that taking PR into account helps. It helped me.

It didnt help you though, It only appeared to help you because you don't seem to understand what is happening. The backlinks helped you, Not the PR, The PR was simply a biproduct of the backlinks.
  • articlehorizon.com
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • articlehorizon.com
  • Loc: Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think I would make a concluision here, if I say that PR is important, mostly for link exchange and for making better SERPS, but not for drawing a traffic. Google downgraded the reciplinks, so there is no reason to make it for PR, but for bringing more traffic. And I believe that recip links bring more traffic, than 1way links, so you have to chose better PR or more traffic ?
  • quantumcloud
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
How can it be? It's my opinion.. If a webmaster is running round worrying about PR i don't want to link to them. Sorry if you don't like it, But that's how it is.

Guess, I missied a few words. I should have explicitly stated that your this opinion which is posted by you on Fri Nov 03, 2006 5:49 pm in the Google forum on ozzu, in the 1st paragraph under the topic reciprocal linking, URL: http://www.ozzu.com/other-google-information-and-resources/reciprocal-linking-t70599-15.html, is a fallacy of gross generalization.

Quote:
Sometimes it may be the case, but unless higher PR sites ALWAYS appear above lower PR sites we have to assume that the PR has very little effect on the serps.
Backlinks are important, Not PR. Backlinks cause PR, Backlinks increase serps. That does not mean PR increases serps. You are mixing up cause and effect.

Umm...I did not say PR has any effect on SERP directly. Here, I will just quote again from my last post, "High PR sites usually rank higher in serp. Not because Google algo gives high PR more value, but because of the side effects of high PR that I mentioned." Hopefully the bold words will demand your attention little more and dissuade you from making up whatever arguments you think I am making inside your head.

Quote:
A googlebomb is nothing to do with pagerank what so ever.
It's caused by backlinks not PR.

Who said googlebomb has anything to do with pagerank? I mentioned googlebomb to illustrate how webmasters can influence google in response to your saying that "Unfortunately google dont use what webmasters think is important in thier algo."

Quote:
You have to understand that just because backlinks are important and backlinks cause PR that does not make PR important.

Never once I argued in this way. I held that PR is important because it helps you get better 3 way backlinks from related sites. I mentioned it almost in every reply in this thread. But looks like you are having a real hard time wrapping your head around this simple matter.

Quote:
It didnt help you though, It only appeared to help you because you don't seem to understand what is happening.

Since I won't go into the specifics of how it helped me you can bask in the glory believing that you can telll what I understand or not without even knowing the details or trying to understand them. But as memen says
Quote:
Sounds almost appropiate here.

Quote:
The backlinks helped you, Not the PR, The PR was simply a biproduct of the backlinks.

Of course, the backlinks helped me. PR helped me get those quality backlinks from related sites. Not that you would try to understand the complex process involved here. But witness the board members, I tried to explain!
  • meman
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
Umm...I did not say PR has any effect on SERP directly. Here, I will just quote again from my last post, "High PR sites usually rank higher in serp. Not because Google algo gives high PR more value, but because of the side effects of high PR that I mentioned." Hopefully the bold words will demand your attention little more and dissuade you from making up whatever arguments you think I am making inside your head.

What side effects of PR? It's pagerank that is the side effect, It's a side effect of backlinks. WORRY ONLY ABOUT THE BACKLINKS. NOT THIER SIDE EFFECT

Quote:
Of course, the backlinks helped me. PR helped me get those quality backlinks from related sites. Not that you would try to understand the complex process involved here. But witness the board members, I tried to explain!

It seems that you only want high PR so that high PR sites will exchange links with you, But why worry about getting links from high PR sites? You are going round in circles with this PR thing. Try to make a quality site instead of relying on PR to get recip link exchanges. That way you get oneway backlinks from trusted related sites and you wont have to run around looking for link exchanges after comparing each others PR.

Google have created this stupid notion that, In the world of seo, A stupid green bar and a number between 1 and 10 has some kind of importance. It's lunacy.
It panders to people who don't really want to understand SEO, They want instead to have it dumbed down to a number between 1 and 10.

Quote:
Who said googlebomb has anything to do with pagerank? I mentioned googlebomb to illustrate how webmasters can influence google in response to your saying that "Unfortunately google dont use what webmasters think is important in thier algo."

Webmasters didn't influence google into changing anything though, they simply manipulated something that was already known about the google algo, And that is backlinks and anchor text are important. The "miserable failure" thing didn't work because people believed it would, It worked because people understod how google works.
  • quantumcloud
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Looks like you are finally reading into what I am saying.

Anyways, the crux of the matter is that as far as SEO is concerned getting backlinks from quality and related sites is probably the most important factor to get high ranking in SERP. There are many ways to go about collecting those back links. From my experience, if you have few high PR sites under your belt it helps to collect those quality back links through 3 way linking. Of course, there are numerous other ways that are as effective if not more. A good webmaster should apply as many tactics as possible.
  • markov
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • markov

Post 3+ Months Ago

Its a mere waste of time when reciprocal linking is from unrelated sites.
  • blackhatbook
  • blackhatbook

Post 3+ Months Ago

Actually you are completely right.. exchanging links is regarded by search engines as black hat seo, I know 99.9% of you will disagree.

But search engine guidelines state that many people exchanging links are doing do to manipulate serps.

Search engines want a link to be a genuine vote for a site, but if you are just scratching each others back and trading links then its not a genuine vote, therefore its an attempt to manipulate serps - therefore its black hat SEO !
  • psyche
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • psyche

Post 3+ Months Ago

Link Exchange sees by SEs as just trading and not a real value at all...
  • g00db0y
  • Born
  • Born
  • g00db0y

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi psyche,
Quote:
Link Exchange sees by SEs as just trading and not a real value at all.......
eventhough there is no payment involvement?
  • psyche
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • psyche

Post 3+ Months Ago

g00db0y wrote:
Hi psyche,
Quote:
Link Exchange sees by SEs as just trading and not a real value at all.......
eventhough there is no payment involvement?

yes...because of its reciprocal nature...And sometime just for the sake of link we engage in this kind of technique even the site is not related to our site which causes link farm...

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 27 posts