SEO and .ca domain

• Fussybaby
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Fussybaby

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi all,

I have a question regarding SEO on a .ca domain. Does having a .ca domain (hosted in the US) hurt my chances of ranking well in the US? The site is not geared towards Canadians, although I am in Canada. Looking back, I should really have chosen a .com but didn't know any better at the time!

A few weeks ago I chose the term 'screaming baby' and optimized a page for it, to see what would happen. The page is now #11 on the SERP's on google.ca (not 'Search in Canada only'), but doesn't rank at all (as far as I can tell) in google.com.

Is this just the Google US sandbox at play? Will that page just rank for that term later?

After checking on other key terms, some rank similarly in both, while others are vastly different (like #5 as opposed to 10th page in the SERPS or even more).

Any wisdom would be much appreciated!

Holly
  • claireo
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • claireo
  • Loc: Coventry

Post 3+ Months Ago

I Think google has different servers for different areas, and can tell where abouts in the world you are, so even if you do not search using an area, you will most likely bring back results nearer to you.

If you are aiming at America, it definatly would have been better to get a .com i think, as i am sure that Google will value this more as it can see it is an american domain.

However, a bit if extra work, it may come out top and prove us all wrong .. i suppose you don't know until you give it a try. Let me know what happens
  • Samuraii
  • Student
  • Student
  • Samuraii

Post 3+ Months Ago

As far as I know you have nothing to worry about. Just make sure you web hosting have no downtimes especially while Google updates.
  • Fussybaby
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Fussybaby

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks so much! So does anyone know if the US results are bound eventually to catch up with the CAD ones? I'm just not sure if I should keep tweaking my site to improve the results in Google US or not...
  • luxscold
  • luxscold

Post 3+ Months Ago

Don't worry about your website zone. Most of them are fine, but some of them are perfect (EDU AC.UK, etc.). As well as I know there is no serious problem with any zones. For example I've start new project for America with *.TJ zone.
  • Yiwu
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Yiwu

Post 3+ Months Ago

yep, nothing worry about that,in my eye,,that the same
  • potchie
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • potchie

Post 3+ Months Ago

nothing to worry.. it is only on your SEO techniques.
  • InterHost Solutions
  • InterHost Solutions

Post 3+ Months Ago

absolutly nothing to worry. Extentions don't count for SEO it doesn't matter if you have a .com or a .info or al the rest

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 8 posts