SEO and Google importance

• homer simpson
  • Student
  • Student
  • homer simpson

Post 3+ Months Ago

What are the importance of each of these factors...

1. number of sites linking to you
2. number of sites with high PR linking to you
3. number of sites with high PR with same keywords as you linking to you
4. keyword optimization on your pages
5. amount of traffic your site is getting

what are the other basic factors that I didn't include?
  • pompei
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • pompei

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think no-one has answered this post because its all just speculation as to what the correct answer is. Also, I think the correct answer would change occasionally from Google-update to google-update. If I _were_ to hazard a guess though, I'd say the importance for the above points would be: 3, 2, 1, 4, 5
  • Bompa
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Philippine Islands

Post 3+ Months Ago

homer simpson wrote:
what are the other basic factors that I didn't include?

Can you say "anchored keywords"? :)
  • beefcakejcc
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • beefcakejcc
  • Loc: Atlanta,GA

Post 3+ Months Ago

what is the difference between a regular keyword and an anchored keyword?
  • Bompa
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Philippine Islands

Post 3+ Months Ago

Anchored means the keyword is part of a link.

For example, 'philippine' is an anchored keyword in my signature.

Bompa
  • vetofunk
  • A SEO GUY
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Chicago

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think that keyword optimization would be the most important and then the other 3 are alike because you want to get them all, links from high PR'd sites pointing to you using your top keywords in the link.

This will then in turn bring you more traffic.

Besides that, get listed in directories including DMOZ, Joeant, Yahoo and others.

Also it is always a good idea to subscribe your URL to Inktomi for your site to be in MSN.
  • vetofunk
  • A SEO GUY
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

One more thing on anchor text and why it is important. An example is if you did a search for "miserable failure" on Google. Look at number #1. Do you think they phrase is anywhere in that site? No, its only there because many other sites used that phrase in their anchor text that linked to the site.
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: Sub-level 28

Post 3+ Months Ago

Keywords/phrases are most important with regard to what searches you appear in.

Your PR (number of links to you, and the PR of those sites linking to you - I don't necessarily think similarly keyworded referrals are important, but they could be) is most important with regard to how high you rate in those searches - although, content is always key. It doesn't matter if you are #1 in your desired search phrase. If you don't have something people want, they're just gonna click the back button and go to the next search.
  • webcertain
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • webcertain
  • Loc: uk

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
One more thing on anchor text and why it is important. An example is if you did a search for "miserable failure" on Google. Look at number #1. Do you think they phrase is anywhere in that site? No, its only there because many other sites used that phrase in their anchor text that linked to the site.

Ok, but Google bombing is a right slap on Google's engineers Faces, so it shouldn't have a long life.. A sure bet is to get some links from relevant pages. You can't go wrong with that! 8)
Johann,
Webcertain: Dutch, French, German internet marketing
  • vetofunk
  • A SEO GUY
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

I agree with you totally that this is not good in Google's eyes, but it does show that keyword usage in anchor text plays a part in your ranking for that keyword.
  • pompei
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • pompei

Post 3+ Months Ago

Before the last google update I was almost convinced that some kind of topic sensitive algorithm was playing a part (i.e., the topic of the sites linking to you). But after this last one, it doesn't seem to matter too much where the links are coming from.
  • webcertain
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • webcertain

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi Pompei,
I'm convinved that Google Algorithm is able to assess the quality of a link, ie what the page is about, and if it's worth anything.. No tangible proof there, but if you review the links of several sites, you may get this feeling.
  • nuclei
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: On a mountain

Post 3+ Months Ago

webcertain wrote:
Quote:

Ok, but Google bombing is a right slap on Google's engineers Faces, so it shouldn't have a long life.. A sure bet is to get some links from relevant pages. You can't go wrong with that! 8)
Johann,
Webcertain: Dutch, French, German internet marketing

Its only been around years. what are the chances of it being around much longer.

Googles and many other search engines entire systems are built around link popularity. I do not see it going anywhere anytime soon, but rest assured when it does, it will most likely be semantics that replaces it. And even then I doubt it will fully phaze it out.

If you want an idea of the part that IBL's play in your rankings, check out the third thing in my sig.
  • nuclei
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

Oh and while we are on the subject of keyworded anchors, if anyone could use say 500 extra IBL's or more, let me know in PM here :)
  • webcertain
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • webcertain

Post 3+ Months Ago

Anyone could use IBL, but not from any pages.. :wink:
  • nuclei
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

webcertain wrote:
Anyone could use IBL, but not from any pages.. :wink:

I dont use just any pages. All of our sites are high quality informational websites, most with hundreds and even thousands of pages of pure content.
  • webcertain
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • webcertain

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
All of our sites are high quality informational websites, most with hundreds and even thousands of pages of pure content.

That sounds very good, but the pages are, I suppose, not always (and probably rarely) relevant to the sites. I do believe that a link coming from a page which talk about astronomy is not bringing a lot of credit to a site selling matchboxes.
  • nuclei
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

webcertain wrote:
Quote:
All of our sites are high quality informational websites, most with hundreds and even thousands of pages of pure content.

That sounds very good, but the pages are, I suppose, not always (and probably rarely) relevant to the sites. I do believe that a link coming from a page which talk about astronomy is not bringing a lot of credit to a site selling matchboxes.

One thing you will learn is that links are links. Granted all links are not created equal, but 1000 non relevant links from high pr sites will still do more for you than 500 relevant ones.

(at least currently)
  • webcertain
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • webcertain

Post 3+ Months Ago

agreed,
currently :wink:
  • benoitb
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Washington, DC

Post 3+ Months Ago

question,

are there any websites where one could pay for, a text link with a high pr?
  • nuclei
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

benoitb wrote:
question,

are there any websites where one could pay for, a text link with a high pr?

http://webworkshop.net/seoforum/viewtopic.php?t=272

that will tell you all you need to know
  • vetofunk
  • A SEO GUY
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

There are many sites out there that auction out Pagerank too. You can even find people selling it on Ebay. Do a search for "page rank".
  • nuclei
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

pagerank is one thing, but that alone doesnt help your rankings. Lot's of inbound links from high PR sites can shoot you to the top of the serps. The links we sell generally give you between 500-1000 inbound links from pr4-8 pages :)

It was these same links that put webworkshop.net in #1 for his keyword of "seo forum" which is a competitive keyword.
  • vetofunk
  • A SEO GUY
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

He is def right. One example is a site I have. It is #2 out of almost 6,000,000 results. But guess what, it only has 39 backlinks and a PR of 5.

As much as this is said, we need a smiley for this:

CONTENT IS KING
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

lmao, that's funny, selling PR on eBay, hehehe
  • vetofunk
  • A SEO GUY
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Reminds me of the guy that sold a ghost in jar. He actually got $50,000 for it. What people buy on there...hahaha
  • nuclei
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

If you do pay attention to your IBL's check out http://anchorwizard.com

nice way to see your trends, etc
  • subotai
  • subotai
  • Loc: Los Angeles

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have noticed a few SEO sites that were a Page Rank of 8 go down to 7.
One even gained 4000 IBLs but still dropped a PR point.
Someday Google will filter out textlinks with a proximity towards sponsored links, IMHO.
  • nuclei
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

subotai wrote:
I have noticed a few SEO sites that were a Page Rank of 8 go down to 7.
One even gained 4000 IBLs but still dropped a PR point.
Someday Google will filter out textlinks with a proximity towards sponsored links, IMHO.

Why in the world would google do that?
If google makes it policy that you cant sell text ads then google itself in in violation. think. adsense, adwords.

You need to look at the bigger picture that google has to look at for every decision they make.
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Not necessarily, because if Google loads a URL that contains Google AdSense script, they don't use the 4 random links that come up in the AdSense, and count them as links to those URLs.

So, how would they be in violation? I don't think it was suggested that Google would tell you to not sell ad space..

The better question would be, how is Google going to know what ads are paid for on your site, and which are good ol' fashioned regular off-site links? It can't.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 46 posts