Is SEO sleazy?

• abrewitt
  • abrewitt

Post 3+ Months Ago

From a usability perspective, designing a website to be read by a search engine will inevitably lead to poor readability and usability. SEO seems like a way of hacking away at the structure of your website and implementing keyword schemes and accepting reciprocal links from companies and individuals that you wouldn’t touch with a ten foot barge pole in real life. Sounds kind of sleazy to me.

Do you think [url]SEO is sleazy and unethical?[/url]

coincidentally i have also set up a post on my blog about this, which has had quite a response: http://www.designbit.co.uk
  • meman
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: London Town , Apples and pears and all that crap

Post 3+ Months Ago

It depends what type of SEO you mean.

It's acceptable to;
Build your sites structure so bots can spider it all
Build backlinks
use H tags

It's not acceptable to;
Spam
have sneaky redirects
keyword stuff
  • Hgrealtor
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Hgrealtor
  • Loc: Oakland

Post 3+ Months Ago

I don't think it's sleazy, it's simple competition. As long as you arent breaking the rules then it's fair game in my book.
  • wingnut
  • Born
  • Born
  • wingnut

Post 3+ Months Ago

Not sleazy... necessary. Sure there are some scummy ways to go about it, but in general, if you're not optimizing for search engines, you're missing out on a boatload of traffic, and probably will not be in business much longer.
  • jbladeus
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • jbladeus

Post 3+ Months Ago

some bad apples have created bad impressions about SEO which also hurts the good guys. However, i must say that the overall quality of coding and usability has improved in the last few years exactly due to these SEOs.
  • SEO_Pro.
  • Student
  • Student
  • Loc: SLC, Ut

Post 3+ Months Ago

SEO is a web site rich with information such as articles, search engine friendly forums, blogs etc. Some of the best SEO I believe is made up of excellent navigation, clean layout, information users can not get enough of or services, RSS feeds, podcasts, well organized site structure, sites optimized for the blind, hotkeys, table summarys yada yada yada. I do not believe SEO is sleazy at all. Black hat SEO yes, but the most successfully and longest lasting SEO is a web site that gives the user exactly what they are looking for and makes it easy to retrieve.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 6 posts