Sitemaps

• Minne
  • Student
  • Student
  • Minne
  • Loc: Small Sports

Post 3+ Months Ago

I read that having a site map helps the page rank. i copy and pasted it.

Site Maps

Site maps are useful in at least two ways:

If a user types in a bad URL most websites return a really unhelpful “404 – page not found” error page. This can be discouraging. Why not configure your server to return a page that shows an error has been made, but also gives the site map? This can help the user enormously
Linking to a site map on each page increases the number of internal links in the site, spreading the PR out and protecting you against your vote “donations”

How can i do this? this would be a great help to some peoples sites.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin
  • Loc: Seattle, WA & Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well this is exactly what I do on my other site:

http://www.bigwebmaster.com/Tree/

That is a complete site map of the entire site. However I do not have that showing on every page, but if you look at my menu I have it linking to the majority of main pages throughout the site which does help spread the PR and increase internal links. I also link directly to the site map from every page of the site.
  • Minne
  • Student
  • Student
  • Minne
  • Loc: Small Sports

Post 3+ Months Ago

I am just bout done with my site map. I am making it simple. all you do is go into our cpanel and goto error pages and goto 404 and put the site map and it shows up when someone types in a page that dont exist for your site
  • b_heyer
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Maryland

Post 3+ Months Ago

This makes sense because it would be creating a page with A LOT of keywords for google, and A LOT of backlinks to other pages.
  • Johan007
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Aldershot, UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

A site map is very good for dynamic sites that have ? in the url.

For example my movie reviews do not get spidered because they can link from a dynamic page eg:

/cinema.asp?page=3

Instead have a page that list all the urls from a static page like

/sitemap.asp

Then out put all the dynamic links

.../movie.asp?no=2>Blade Runner</a>
.../movie.asp?no=3>Momento</a>
.../movie.asp?no=4>Lord of the Rings</a>
.../movie.asp?no=5>American Pie</a>
  • phaugh
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

Be a good host/hostess...

After a fun time with your friends you will say..."Hey lets do this again"

Why not do the same for the spiders....use this tag
<META name="revisit-after" content="10 days">
  • emitind.
  • Student
  • Student
  • Loc: england

Post 3+ Months Ago

Having a page with links to every page on your site apparently is supposed to boost your overall ranking. However I've had little improvement, so is this true?
  • Solutions
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Denmark

Post 3+ Months Ago

I don't think so. I actually believe in internal PageRank leak.

However a sitemap is the only right thing to do if your links are not spiderable ones.

I myself don't use a sitemap. Instead my pages are reachable from various points on my site.
  • phaugh
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have noticed that internal linking passes page rank to the other pages in the site and if they are linked back to the main entrance they then pass PR back. If you pass enough PR to your internal pages then you will get backlink credits for all the links pointing back to your site entrance and to other internal pages. This works best when you link all the sites pages to each other.
  • Solutions
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

I am not so sure. That would mean that a HUGE site actually could sort of generate it's on PageRank :?: by just adding filler after filler page...
  • phaugh
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

Correct...but the amount of PR that is passed decreases or spreads out over the entire site.
  • Solutions
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
Correct...

How can it be correct and then there is a "but..." ?

I agree that the PageRank spreads to other internal pages but the total amount of PageRank equals the PageRank that comes in from external pages and the amount that Google gives for code etc.
  • vetofunk
  • A SEO GUY
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Chicago

Post 3+ Months Ago

With all my sites, I usually have links to all the top pages from my index. I wouldn't ever have a link to every single page from my index. It may give different PR results, but this way has always worked well for me.
  • disgust
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • disgust

Post 3+ Months Ago

I link to my home page on every page- it may not be a huge jump, it's not going to boost you from a 5 to a 6, or even a 3 to a 4 probably, but it doesn't hurt.

plus it helps with anchor text.

however if you had some sort of freakish situation where your homepage is a 4, and an internal page is getting a lot of links, and is a 5 or 6 or even 7, then obviously you'd want to make that page link back to the main page.
  • madmonk
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • madmonk
  • Loc: australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

If I am to make a site map, on which part of index should I put the link of site map?

top part or anywhere on the page?
  • emitind.
  • Student
  • Student
  • Loc: england

Post 3+ Months Ago

i wouldve thought the closer to the top it is the quicker it will be followed... don't know if it matters too much.
  • disgust
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • disgust

Post 3+ Months Ago

it doesn't matter at all unless the page is over 100kb, in which case it'd need to be in the first 100kb.
  • vetofunk
  • A SEO GUY
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

I may not have said it right. I do have a link on every page to my index, always very important. But, I do not believe you need a link to every page from your index.
  • madmonk
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • madmonk

Post 3+ Months Ago

hi vetofunk
what effects will tehre be if you have a link to every page from index?
  • vetofunk
  • A SEO GUY
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Like I said, I have never tried it, just due to most of my sites having dozens and dozens of pages, which clutters up the index page.

I'd also rather have my index page give a bigger percentage of PR to my main category pages instead of a smaller percentage to all the pages in my site. But this is just my opinion, I am sure others have done it the opposite way with great results.
  • madmonk
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • madmonk

Post 3+ Months Ago

I see your point vetofunk.

also, For my website- travel, there are no high PR sites for my backlinks purposes. definitely not lonely planet. haha. they wouldnt want my link.

suggestions?
  • vetofunk
  • A SEO GUY
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

If Lonely Planet is your biggest competitor, I would go through the directory they are listed in an see if any of those sites are willing to exchange links with you. Also I would take a look at their backlinks to see where they are listed and where it might be possible for you to be listed. Do all the searching for (travel "exchange links" or travel "add site") and so on. Make sure to get directory listings in Yahoo and DMOZ. Try to add your site to the categories all your biggest competitors are in. Also, think about business.com and Microsoft's directory if you can get into a nice PR'd category.

Travel is going to be a tough job, as I am pretty sure it is one of most searched terms online. I travel a lot so I will keep your site in mind next time I go on a trip.

Good Luck!
  • phaugh
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

just catching back up with this thread....

I think I may have been misunderstood. I didn't mean to put a link to every page from every other page. Unless you site is less than 10 pages total. Otherwise that's what the site map is for.

Here's what I try to do as far a structuring the whole site:

1. site map - a map of the entire site with headings to your main sections...perferably enclosed in Hx tags and linked to that section below each section is a sub set of links to all the catagories internal pages and is also linked back to the main page.

2. Index Page - Is linked to the site map and each of the catagories main pages.

3. Main Catagory page - Optimized to that catagories keywords, linked to all the other catagories, linked to all that catagories internal pages.

If I use graphics or java script for any of the navigation I also include a text link somewhere on the page. As well as alt tags on the graphics.
  • madmonk
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • madmonk

Post 3+ Months Ago

yes. thanks for all those tips. I have done a check on lonelyplanet already.took me an entire day for that. real tiring. heh.
dmoz 's still making me wait.

I will look into business.com n MS dir too. Good idea. :-)

travel website's not easy. haha. too late for regrets. I chose travel coz i travel lots too. another big big problem is that keywords are too competitive.
  • vetofunk
  • A SEO GUY
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Anything like this:
http://www.discount-home-office-furnitu ... cfm?SID=1&
  • phaugh
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

Exactly!

Your business site uses a similar structure as well and a better use of anchor text to link to the additional catagories with a little text blurb about each.
  • madmonk
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • madmonk

Post 3+ Months Ago

thanks for the example. I am also going to cut down my keywords.
and add more links to index:-)
  • jlknauff
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

How does a site map help your placement?
  • beefcakejcc
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • beefcakejcc
  • Loc: Atlanta,GA

Post 3+ Months Ago

it increases the likelihood of all your pages getting indexed
  • CazpianXI
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yes, that's right. Also, it makes the search engine spider's job easier... meaning that:

1. All your pages will get a better chance of becomming indexed
2. Your site may get indexed faster
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 106 posts