Submitting to Web Directories - helpful or useless?!

• Snooper
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

:? How important are directories?!

For many of people web directories seem to be a master key for their own websites success. They submit to almost everything that even looks like web directory, thinking of... thank God for this easy way to catch good PR... as much directories I submit, better PR I have... higher PR directory, even better... etc...
So they submit hundreds of directories, but their PR was still zero. It doesn't move from the spot at all, even after months and months of hard submitting.

:| What's the problem?!

Honestly, it could be a lot of problems in relation between website and good PR, but we are talking about web directories now. What could be wrong?! You submit to so many of web directories, even a good one directories, with high (5, 6 or 7) PR, and nothing?!

The problem is in relation between web directory and Google. They are simply, worthless!!! So are the backlinks from them. You may have a millions of that kind backlinks and still have PR zero, even if they have really high Page Rank...

:hmm: How could it be?

If you do a little research about web directories, you will find out soon why is it so. You will find tons of generally web directories, those kind of websites who are not explicitly web directories, and they have very mixed content. Just a little of SEO things, a little of web design, some free templates... little of this - little of that... which means, they are generally-content websites. Most of them are junk or spam, in best cases just another website with a lot of Adsense. Certainly, some of them are really good websites, with trusty and valuable content on their pages, so they earned 5, 6 or 7, some of them even 8 PR, but they are still generlly-content... and also, by the way web directories who offers bacllinks to you, mostly conditioned with reciprocal links. So... they are practically chasing after their own backlinks, which is in some cases hundreds of thousands of them, because people gladly submitting websites, expecting good valuable backlinks.
The pages that contains submitted links (pages with categories where have you done your submission) are not actually indexed by Google spider on purpose of hiding them, because they actually don't need them to be indexed. All they need are backlinks that you have provide by putting reciprocal links into your index page.

:cry: Watching from other view... whole game is about their backlinks, not yours!
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

If The Internet were a human, directories would be cancerous cells.
  • Snooper
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

joebert wrote:
If The Internet were a human, directories would be cancerous cells.

:wink: Yeah man... It appear to be so! Glad you agree with me... Not long time ago I had a different opinion about this. I thought its best and most important way for websites success. After a while I was surprised that my PR doesn't move at all. Done some research on the topic and conclude... that's useless job. Was so disappointed after months and months of submitting...

Anyway, thanks for support!
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ever send spiders crawling through directories ? Rarely do you find somthing that's not just directing you to another directory. I've gotten less of a runaround trying to make an appointment at the DMV.
  • Snooper
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

No man, as I tell you... absolutely worthless links. I wouldn't lie if I say that I submitted to more then 100 directories. I have try even to f...... DMOZ year ago (almost), guess what?! They never even f...... answer me... Is it bad website, or wrong category, or they just don't like my shoe number.

By the way, what's DMV?
Anyway... sory, english isn't my mother-lenguage... So, I am not just like fish in the water, on this forum.
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

I've heard great things about DMOZ for the most part, but I never use it.
I've never had a listing from DMOZ show up in a search result either come to think of it.

DMV is the Department of Motor Vehicles in the U.S. It's where we take care of driving licenses & they're notorious for giving people the runaround in some states.
  • Snooper
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

Oh, that is DMV!!! I am a little far away from the States...

About DMOZ... You won't get them listed in the search results, because they don't want to. You know... robot.txt file, and staff like that. Who knows what reason for?! I guess because they are a >really< web directory by >default<. If you noticed they are specific only to be a web directory, not generally website and just by the way, some directory.
Here it is, my friend... Its a little late here (02:30 after midnight) and its time to go sleep...
Nice to chat with you joebert!

Snooper.
  • htcorp
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • htcorp

Post 3+ Months Ago

Directories is very important and useful for web administrators if their sites hope a high rank level and anyone want to find a web address that they need with shortest time.
  • Snooper
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

htcorp wrote:
Directories is very important and useful for web administrators if their sites hope a high rank level and anyone want to find a web address that they need with shortest time.

:!: :!: :!: Guys, guys, guys...

:shock: Firstly, there isn't such a thing... SEO ranking!!! It is only, SEO does effect to the ranking... I could agree with that.

:? Secondly, can you give me a proof, but explicitly your own... something like your own websites PR, based only or mostly on web directories backlinks?!

There could be some exceptions, like DMOZ or YAHOO. Its probably valuable directories... but have you ever submitted to DMOZ, or pay to YAHOO almost $300 for a single backlink?! I'd like to know your own experience, with proofs, of course.

:wink: That's what I am talking about. Whole story with directories is a little shaky!!!
  • delNorto
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • delNorto
  • Loc: Netherlands

Post 3+ Months Ago

@Snooper & joebert :thumbsup: :salut:

Exactly ... I get so tired of this backlink-sh*t ! If webmasters would check their mark-up, (meta, title, headers) put content in the right place & make sure that their URLS make sense .... dhaa ... that would be sooo much more effective than having a gazillion backlinks.
  • coolslko
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • coolslko
  • Loc: India

Post 3+ Months Ago

Snooper wrote:
:? How important are directories?!

For many of people web directories seem to be a master key for their own websites success. They submit to almost everything that even looks like web directory, thinking of... thank God for this easy way to catch good PR... as much directories I submit, better PR I have... higher PR directory, even better... etc...
So they submit hundreds of directories, but their PR was still zero. It doesn't move from the spot at all, even after months and months of hard submitting.

:| What's the problem?!

Honestly, it could be a lot of problems in relation between website and good PR, but we are talking about web directories now. What could be wrong?! You submit to so many of web directories, even a good one directories, with high (5, 6 or 7) PR, and nothing?!

The problem is in relation between web directory and Google. They are simply, worthless!!! So are the backlinks from them. You may have a millions of that kind backlinks and still have PR zero, even if they have really high Page Rank...

:hmm: How could it be?

If you do a little research about web directories, you will find out soon why is it so. You will find tons of generally web directories, those kind of websites who are not explicitly web directories, and they have very mixed content. Just a little of SEO things, a little of web design, some free templates... little of this - little of that... which means, they are generally-content websites. Most of them are junk or spam, in best cases just another website with a lot of Adsense. Certainly, some of them are really good websites, with trusty and valuable content on their pages, so they earned 5, 6 or 7, some of them even 8 PR, but they are still generlly-content... and also, by the way web directories who offers bacllinks to you, mostly conditioned with reciprocal links. So... they are practically chasing after their own backlinks, which is in some cases hundreds of thousands of them, because people gladly submitting websites, expecting good valuable backlinks.
The pages that contains submitted links (pages with categories where have you done your submission) are not actually indexed by Google spider on purpose of hiding them, because they actually don't need them to be indexed. All they need are backlinks that you have provide by putting reciprocal links into your index page.

:cry: Watching from other view... whole game is about their backlinks, not yours!

Well.......I think just submitting a website to maximum possible number of web directories is not good. We should focus only on popular directories and not just submit your site to directory but submit a site properly to most relevant category with relavant anchor text and description to a web directory....it will sure help in rankings but in long term as it takes long to get listed in popular web directory.
  • Snooper
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

delNorto wrote:
@Snooper & joebert :thumbsup: :salut:

Exactly ... I get so tired of this backlink-sh*t ! If webmasters would check their mark-up, (meta, title, headers) put content in the right place & make sure that their URLS make sense .... dhaa ... that would be sooo much more effective than having a gazillion backlinks.

:idea: Backlinks are great idea only to help (?!) better ranking, but a lot of guys think that is more important even then content of the website. I saw a lot oh guys making senseless websites, and they expecting great success after numerous of submitting.

:x I'd really like them conceded once: "Yes, I have wrong, my website is worthless, can't be reputable and I am going to do something better!"
  • erikko
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • erikko

Post 3+ Months Ago

directories are good but due to constant abuse in site submissions, they are now the new place for link spamming
  • psyche
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • psyche

Post 3+ Months Ago

For me submitting in web directories still have a value even a little...Just choose those reputable one, those well manage and has PR...There are free there and don't need reciprocal to be included...However, don't expect too much for it...It is one way in a lot of SEO technique in getting BL...Building quality BL to have high PR is depends on your effort and strategy to be used...Don't rely in just one strategy...For me on of the most important is having a good and valuable contents in your site, it will give you natural links...
  • aikabeatrice
  • Loc: Las Vegas, Nevada

Post 3+ Months Ago

psyche wrote:
For me submitting in web directories still have a value even a little...Just choose those reputable one, those well manage and has PR...There are free there and don't need reciprocal to be included...However, don't expect too much for it...It is one way in a lot of SEO technique in getting BL...Building quality BL to have high PR is depends on your effort and strategy to be used...Don't rely in just one strategy...For me on of the most important is having a good and valuable contents in your site, it will give you natural links...

I agree. I don't depend much on directory submission, I only submitted to those reliable sites.
  • goodamr
  • goodamr
  • Loc: http://elearningking.blogspot.com

Post 3+ Months Ago

submiting your site/blog to directories is so useful. why?
because you will get more backlinks to it and as a result your site get ranked
  • Snooper
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

goodamr wrote:
submiting your site/blog to directories is so useful. why?
because you will get more backlinks to it and as a result your site get ranked

:?: What's about your Rage Rank?! I can't see nothing more than "0-PR"
Only a few web directories would provide you valuable backlinks... Submitting to bunch of worthless directories won't help to your PR, my friend.

:idea: Keep this on your mind... Web Directories are like any other business on the web. Its all about money!!! Look at this one... submitting to DMOZ is free of charge. Its suppose to provides valuable backlink to you. OK, but how many persons do you know, that are actually submitted to DMOZ... I don't know anyone who have done it! Oppositely, I know a lot of guys who are submitted successfully to Yahoo! web directory. Do you know why??? Its simple... They pay $300 for submission, my dear friend. Same situation is with any other web directory who are really reputable. You have to pay for it! If you don't like to pay them, which I personally don't, then your PR will be low...
Whole bunch of so call, useless web directories are actually doing a favour to those who are really reputable, when people realize, taht there isn't any use of comprehensive submitting to those...

:D Fortunately, web directories, with all the jokes about, aren't the only way of creating successfully website. People easily forget how important is to write a good and useful content! It will provide you more backlinks than hundreds of so call, web directories... There's also, whole series of other good technics that helps cearting a reputable website.

:arrow: I have wrote so many pages of useful informations on those topics, which you can read on my website.
  • Snooper
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

:flasingsmile:
How does it looks like to Google?

:bash2: There comes one guy offering something for nothing, and than comes another guy offering nothing for something... Something to nothing... Nothing to something... When you put all together it gives one big nothing. Nothing!!! So, nothing could be your PR, unless you change your strategy.

Thinking that way... my recommendation will be to avoid submitting to generally web directories, especially those you need to pay for. Its just throwing money away. Submit only to those directories which you're absolutely sure about value of their links. I wrote about some effective methodes how to determine valuable web directory. Read more on SnoopMoney.com
Even if they are mostly worthless, it will always be some exceptions like DMOZ or Yahoo!. They will probably provide valuable backlinks to you, so Google will be happy about it... or maybe not, who knows?! I mean, there isn't any guaranties for success just because you are submitted to many web directories.
Just remember great Blue Find web directory couple years ago. It was respectable and trusted web directory with very high PR... I think it was 8 PR, really valuable link... and than was banned by Google because of manipulation and selling high Page Rank to directories. Now they are changed to Webdirectory7, about year ago, but without any use. Their PR is still zero.

:iconthumbright: This was written by Snooper for SnoopMoney.com
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think Google is realizing that the only people who use directories these days, are people who are submitting to them.

"real" surfers are much more likely to type a query into a search engine than they are to go looking through a directory. It just doesn't make sense to look yourself when a search engine can find it in no time.

I think there will come a day in the near future, where even DMOZ will hold little if any weight when it comes to casting a vote for the importance of a page.
  • amxcorey
  • amxcorey

Post 3+ Months Ago

i find that submitting to directories helps. not a lot but always a little. never do reciprocal though. google does not like links exchanges that much. Paying for links is frowned upon also. i found that the best way to get good pr.....Forum posting and it helps people out. kill two birds with one stone.
  • jr991
  • Born
  • Born
  • jr991

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have had good luck with directories, but I only submit to high PR directories and always use use anchor text with my links. I think search engines are now not paying too much attention to links found in directories.
  • Cerebro
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Michigan & Mackinac

Post 3+ Months Ago

Article submissions and unique content on my blog helps me. I do not do link submissions anymore... Those are a waste of my time.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 22 posts