The last news!

• karinca
  • Student
  • Student
  • karinca

Post 3+ Months Ago

dmoze is down for three or four months ? when does it work again? do you know?
they say "Please check back in a day or two."

is it a big problem?

http://www.dmoz.org/unavailable.html
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

works just fine for me.

Just type dmoz.org into browser. Comes right up.
  • dyefade
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

Submissions and approvals are down until further notice.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Most likely because they don't have anymore dedicated editors. I've been trying to get my site listed for three years and still waiting. Not holding my breath either.
  • meman
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: London Town , Apples and pears and all that crap

Post 3+ Months Ago

Someone deleted the dmoz admin server, nobody can login and all pages are caches of pages from months ago.

People have likened fixing it to "glueing together a vase after it has been completely smashed" sinse they turned off automatic backups.

Dmoz is in a bad way, It's time to put it out of its misery.

http://www.resource-zone.com/forum/show ... p?p=229551
  • karinca
  • Student
  • Student
  • karinca

Post 3+ Months Ago

meman wrote:
Someone deleted the dmoz admin server

is it a hackers job? or is it a googles own workers job?
do you know it?

meman wrote:
http://www.resource-zone.com/forum/showthread.php?p=229551

i read this thread before! i hope they solve this problem!
  • karinca
  • Student
  • Student
  • karinca

Post 3+ Months Ago

ATNO/TW wrote:
I've been trying to get my site listed for three years and still waiting.

waw. :o its very long time! why it does happened?
is it only for you :?: or am i a lucky man because when i want to add a site to google , google indexed it instantly. ( before dmoze is down! ) :?
:?
  • websiteacquire
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • websiteacquire

Post 3+ Months Ago

amazing news, I really hope they clean up the ODP and fix a lot of these issues that everyone complains about
  • meman
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: London Town , Apples and pears and all that crap

Post 3+ Months Ago

It would be better if they just get rid of it. Dmoz is outdated now, there is no place for it on the internet. I can't imagine anyone seeing dmoz as a useful resource anymore.
  • karinca
  • Student
  • Student
  • karinca

Post 3+ Months Ago

meman wrote:
It would be better if they just get rid of it. Dmoz is outdated now, there is no place for it on the internet. I can't imagine anyone seeing dmoz as a useful resource anymore.

im with you meman :) i hope they solve the problem quickly!
  • karinca
  • Student
  • Student
  • karinca

Post 3+ Months Ago

i find a new article you will look over it!

Google (NOT) Hacked? Just A DNS Glitch says Google

Posted Saturday, May 7, 2005 at 3:11 PM PT Recap: 6:13PM PST: Google was not hacked, but instead had a DNS problem. For some readers the site was redirecting to the SoGoSearch page. That continues to fox me, and I plan to investigate further. All services have been restored. I find it amazing: Google is now as integrated in our lives as a phone company, or heaven forbid, TV networks. Multiple experts say that the screen grab I got was result of broswers not being able to resolve to Google.com, and instead stumbled upon google.com.net (com.net is the SoGoSearch website, and they have a wildcard match). Once Google’s DNS was restored, browsers stopped the appending, and started functioning normally.

Update #6: Yet another screen shot And another one, plus looks like someone swiped the domain name. Larry Magid was on the local CBS radio talking about the Google’s great vanishing trick.

Update #5: Everything back to normal. All Google services are working. Though as an aside, Google has reached the full capacity for its Web Accelerator Beta.

Update # 4: More from Mr. Krane of Google: BTW, this was not the result of a hack or any kind of security issue. “Yes, it was a DNS issue. We’re seeing things as fully restored as of more than 30 min. ago. You’re the first to send such a screen shot and report this kind of issue. I’ll bounce it to the tech staff and will keep you posted.” I got another screenshot which was as of 5.08 PM PST. Not sure if I am having this problem in specific or others noticing the same issue. I use comcast as broadband provider. Any updates people?

Update #3: David Krane, the big cheese @ Google PR wrote back a few seconds ago and had this to add, “Google’s global properties were unavailable for a short period of time earlier today. We’ve remedied the problem and access to Google has been restored worldwide.”

Update #2: Some people are saying in the comments here and over at Engadget, that Google might have been in middle of a DNS software switch. I still can’t believe that a strange image would just show up there.

Update #1: Some people say they have it back, but I am still having trouble logging in to my Gmail. And still not getting Google homepage. I have left voice mail and sent emails to Google’s PR people and their hotline. Not sure, what’s going on precisely but will be on the story.

03.11 PM, PST: Looks like we are having a Google outage - apparently someone has hijacked their Domain, and something called SoGoSearch is showing up instead. GMail was down as well. Google ads are not being served up as well. Am I the only one, or did you guys feel the webquake as well? Man if this is a hack, then we now know nothing - not even god, I mean Google is safe! Is this someone’s idea of teaching them a lesson? Or has the Web Accelerator shown its true colors? Lots of unanswered questions. Here is a screen grab by the way!

Written by
Om Malik
  • dyefade
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
Posted Saturday, May 7, 2005

so, you bring us an article from 18 months ago, having disagreed with meman while claiming to agree. nice contributions.
  • karinca
  • Student
  • Student
  • karinca

Post 3+ Months Ago

dyefade wrote:
Quote:
Posted Saturday, May 7, 2005

so, you bring us an article from 18 months ago, having disagreed with meman while claiming to agree. nice contributions.

when i see the date first i shocked :shock: but i m with you nice article!
  • vetofunk
  • A SEO GUY
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Chicago

Post 3+ Months Ago

DMOZ editing is back up and running, but you still cannot submit sites.

As for being outdated, it needs a lot of work, yes, I mean there are only so many editors and a ton more submissions. I don't use it that often, but it is a good way to find specific types of sites that you would never find using a search engine. Lots of sites in there are pop n pop shops that have unique things and information, but don't really do any type of SEO work so you would never find them in Google, MSN or Yahoo.
  • karinca
  • Student
  • Student
  • karinca

Post 3+ Months Ago

vetofunk wrote:
DMOZ editing is back up and running, but you still cannot submit sites.
As for being outdated, it needs a lot of work, yes, I mean there are only so many editors and a ton more submissions. I don't use it that often, but it is a good way to find specific types of sites that you would never find using a search engine. Lots of sites in there are pop n pop shops that have unique things and information, but don't really do any type of SEO work so you would never find them in Google, MSN or Yahoo.

you are really true! i m with you!
  • TomK
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: Ontario, Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

Getting listed in DMOZ is generally a big help for new websites. I really hope they start accepting submissions again soon.
  • David Eaves
  • Loc: Lancaster

Post 3+ Months Ago

Fingers crossed, they should be excepting submissions again in January.
  • karinca
  • Student
  • Student
  • karinca

Post 3+ Months Ago

new! :)

dmoze team says "Notice: Editing is Back! Login now for more information - Dec. 18, 2006 "

look over it!

http://www.dmoz.org
  • karinca
  • Student
  • Student
  • karinca

Post 3+ Months Ago

they say;

UPDATE: December 18, 2006 -- Editors have regained access to the editors server and the public pages are now up-to-date. However, the public ODP scripts (including site suggestion, update listing, editor application, and abuse reporting) are still not available and we currently have no ETA for their return. Please be patient and, again, we ask that you not start threads asking when those forms will be available again--we will update this announcement when we have further information. Thanks.
  • TomK
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: Ontario, Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

I can hardly wait for the backlog that will be created by this. Getting listed in DMOZ will now take 3 years instead of 1. :P
  • karinca
  • Student
  • Student
  • karinca

Post 3+ Months Ago

you must be patient ! :D

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 21 posts