W3C Validation and SEO

• BillW
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Loc: Redondo Beach, Ca.

Post 3+ Months Ago

How important, if at all, is W3C validation in terms of SEO?
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• meman
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: London Town , Apples and pears and all that crap

Post 3+ Months Ago

Validated strict code has no effect on SEO. Search engines strip out most code, they are only interested in content.

I'm confused though, your poll seems to be on a different subject.
  • simmi
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • simmi

Post 3+ Months Ago

W3C validation in terms of SEO

Validation plays an important role in terms of SEO too. If website is nt validated it do creates problem for search engine to crawl your website.
Once you validate your website its free with errors....
  • SEO_Pro.
  • Student
  • Student
  • Loc: SLC, Ut

Post 3+ Months Ago

meman,

You seem so sure about the fact that w3c validation of syntax does not affect the placement of a web site within the SERPs. I believe it does. I believe anything you can do to make your web site more user friendly and more compatible across multiple platforms and browsers has a big impact on your ranking. So W3C validation may not have a HUGE impact it self but I do believe it helps. It's one of the many things that you can do to optimize for search engines (search engines want to please the user, the more you do to make your site user friendly and compatible will help) when developing a web site.

It also makes you look a little more professional and trusted to search engines. Just like if you register your domain for 20 years ahead or if you spend a decent ammount of money on online advertisements google factors all of those things and many other things when ranking a web site I believe.

So.......... In conclusion I believe w3c validation does help with SEO. It may not have a huge impact but I do believe it will give a web site a little boost. ;)

- Jacob

- Jacob
  • meman
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
Validation plays an important role in terms of SEO too. If website is nt validated it do creates problem for search engine to crawl your website.

Bad code does not make it difficult for search engines to crawl., Search engines do no render the code like a browser does, It does not see the page, It looks at the words between tags.

SEO_Pro:
Matt Cutts, Google engineer, said there is no signal in the google algo for valid markup
Obviously it's best if your site validates, but as for SEO, it makes no difference.
  • simmi
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • simmi

Post 3+ Months Ago

meman wrote:
Quote:

Bad code does not make it difficult for search engines to crawl., Search engines do no render the code like a browser does, It does not see the page, It looks at the words between tags.

SEO_Pro:
Matt Cutts, Google engineer, said there is no signal in the google algo for valid markup
Obviously it's best if your site validates, but as for SEO, it makes no difference.

But for user friendly website i hopw u must agree with this fact that website must be free with errors, in same way validation is important in seo too. Search engines read the page coding from the top down. Having valid clean code will make it easier for the search engine spider to index your page.. :)
  • khasmoth
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • khasmoth

Post 3+ Months Ago

simmi wrote:

But it seems to be impossible to have 0 errors because I check Yahoo website has lot of errors also. Do you know some sites that has no errors when you validate the site in W3C?
  • simmi
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • simmi

Post 3+ Months Ago

khasmoth wrote:
simmi wrote:

But it seems to be impossible to have 0 errors because I check Yahoo website has lot of errors also. Do you know some sites that has no errors when you validate the site in W3C?

well yes i myself worked so many sites that dosent hve errors but unfourtaneutly i cant disclose sites names as it was my previous organization client' s websites otherwise i would have shown you the sites created by me have error or not :) . i understand its hard to believe that websites dnt hv errors as u said yahoo has i knw yahoo has even google has bt they themselves are such big names and nw might be dosent matter to it i hv read articles that validation is imp... read this

http://www.htmlbasictutor.ca/code-valid ... n-code.htm,
  • camp185
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: San Jose, CA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hardly impossible. Having a validated site can improve you rankings. Who wants to link to a site that border line crashers their pc? Good site with good code=more back links. More back links = better ranking.
  • meman
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

simmi wrote:
But for user friendly website i hopw u must agree with this fact that website must be free with errors, in same way validation is important in seo too.

For user friendly sites it helps to have valid code, But it's not essensial. Search engines don't look at code though and they don't render pages. Look at your site using a text based browser. That is how search engines see your pages, The coding makes no difference to them.
simmi wrote:
Search engines read the page coding from the top down. Having valid clean code will make it easier for the search engine spider to index your page.. :)

No it doesn't, Matt cutts said it doesn't, He is a google engineer. He knows what he is talking about. Search engines strip out the vast majority of code and they only look at the text, bold, underline, itallic and H tags. They don't look at CSS, tables, divs or anything else and they don't render the page like a browser does.

camp185 wrote:
Hardly impossible. Having a validated site can improve you rankings. Who wants to link to a site that border line crashers their pc? Good site with good code=more back links. More back links = better ranking.

You are joking, right? You go to W3 and check that a site is valid before linking to it?
  • camp185
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

Joking? Did you just write that without checking yourself? I checked before I posted, and I check again now.

My site is compliant with zero errors. It may not be on every page, but I know it is on most of them. I check all of them every few weeks. The home page certainly is: http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http% ... ype=Inline

Sorry meman, but I am going to have to agree with SEO_Pro on this one. Also, W3C might not be a technical way of SEO right now for google, but you cannot deny that it someday may be, and it surely cood be already with another search engine. Heck, it may even be a marketing technique for searh engines in the future...like making your search query pull up only w3c sites. It may not be the biggest market, but there are a lot of people out there who need w3c sites.
  • meman
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

The argument wasn't that it might one day be a factor in SEO, People were claiming that it is a factor in SEO now and that is just plain wrong, Incorrect, missleading information...
  • camp185
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

meman wrote:
The argument wasn't that it might one day be a factor in SEO, People were claiming that it is a factor in SEO now and that is just plain wrong, Incorrect, missleading information...

So what do you think will produce better results in a search engine?

<pHot Babes</p> Fails compliance test

Or

<p>Hot Babes</p> Passes test
  • meman
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

<pHot Babes</p> isn't "invalid" code, It's just wrong. Obviously if you want a search engine to take note of bold, underline or header tags it finds on your page you have to at least close and open the tags properly. But that isn't what W3C validation is and you know it, You are just being pedantic.
  • camp185
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

Pedantic? Classic! Isn't that what being compliant is about? You either pass or don't. I don't think the validator says "Your doing a good job, but you made one little error.". Also, that may be one stupid typo, but could be a big mistake when you suddenly drop in hits by 30%.
  • meman
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

So w3c validation is about closing and opening tags properly? Of course it isn't and you know it... You could see if tags are opened and closed properly by looking at it in any browser, that isn't what w3c validation is about.

Listen, if you want to think you know more about google than matt cutts (google engineer) then go ahead, But im afraid you wont be getting me too side with you against him.
  • camp185
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hmmm....

Your saying that I should not make an error like <pHot Babes</p> because I can check it in any browser. You also say w3c is not about that. So where is the line drawn? Is it by some idea that you have, or by passing the validation completely. I gave you one small example. What if you had the closing body tag before your content. Hardly compliant, hardly good html. The person would have done a poor job building their site, but entirely possible. Where does that leave them in SEO? Would you not suggest to them to take a course in writing html, or maybe even how to build a site that is....

W3C compliant?

I don't say Matt is wrong, and in fact I agree with him. W3C is important but not essential. Most sites do have errors, and the quality/value of information should not be judged by the skill of a webmaster. In your defense, the line:
<p Hot Babes</p> though still failing test is equal to <p>Hot Babes</p> as far as google is concerned. But in mine <pHot Babes</p> fails both goals...seo, and w3c.

I realize that the concept to making sites w3c is not about tag correction, and that it is about making your site as clean and well organized as possible so that anybody on any browser will not have a disavantage. So all said and done I am going to say yes I believe that making a site w3c will give you an advantage in seo. Not because of it's validity ability, but because it natural abiltiy to clarify everything you do on your site.
  • meman
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

w3c validation isn't about closing and opening tags. It's just some pedantic tenuous argument you are clinging onto to make it look like you have a valid point..

You know what w3c validation is about, it's not about something ludicrous like correcting glearing markup errors such as forgetting to close tags.
  • camp185
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

geez, you don't even read my comments.

I am not sure what you have against me.

Your first comment toward me during this whole discussion was just a untrue blast. Your attempt to appear superior by saying "You are joking, right? You go to W3 and check that a site is valid before linking to it?" You didn't even check yourself because if you had you would not have posted that. My site is w3c.

Second, when I called you on that comment you didn't even answer me. Too busy trying to be the oppressor I guess.

Third, when I showed you a simple expamle of why it can make a difference, and then asked you what you thought you shoved more words into my mouth that I did not say. Needless to say that you failed to answer another question from me. You couldn't answer that one though, could you:)

Fourth, you either did not read my previous post or you think that you can win a discussion by saying the same thing over and over again.

Fith my disucssion with you on this, and other topics are completely over. I am no longer watching this topic, and will delete in pms from you before reading.
  • meman
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Firstly, i wasn't claiming you didn't validate your own sites, i was claiming you didn't check other peoples sites before linking to them. You claimed that sites which have validated markup are more likey to get backlinks, Which is a complete and utter fabrication.

Secondly, When you "called me" on that point i didn't answer because you had clearly misunderstood, and to be honest, it was such a trivial point i didn't want to sit around while you went back and re-read what i has posted..

Thirdly, When you showed me an example i pointed out that it wasn't a validation error, It was just a glearing markup error. W3C validation isn't about opening and closing tags, A point which you are still spectacularly failing to grasp.

fourth, no i didn't read you last post. Because untill you grasp the simple concept that W3C validation is not about correcting glearing markup errors there is little chance of you being able to understand that W3C validation will not help with SEO.

Fith, My heart bleeds..

To anyone who reads this thread, Ignore every post in it, including mine.
Just go and watch the matt cutts video i posted, He is a google engineer, he said google have no signal for validated markup in thier algo.
So that means, Google don't care about validated markup. It's as simple as that.. There is no discussion required, It's a simple fact.
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin
  • Loc: Seattle, WA & Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

While I believe both of you have made your valid points, I do agree with parts of what what camp185 has said and what Meman has said. First I would like to say that with my sites I do indeed validate them. I do this for a few reasons, one is that I feel that having a website revolving around web design should mean I should set an example and have valid code. Second I do indeed do it for SEO purposes and have done very well in that department, however, I do admit the SEO effects there are negligible. As Meman already stated many search engines simply look at the text, so as long as you look at a text browser and you see all of your content there like it should be, then you are probably good to go. When using validators I do often find mistakes that actually do affect the appearance of content that I overlooked, so I have to agree with a few points Camp185 said here as those mistakes can affect SEO.

Google isn't the only search engine, and its possible that some search engines do take into account small factors regarding using good code. While for the most part this probably isn't the case, I am just saying its possible. I feel that when creating websites I should do the best I can in each area (including validating code), because just in case that does ever become a factor, I am good to go there. It is not something that will hurt your website, and I would rather have valid code over not valid code. It helps in other ways too such as having a better chance of displaying correctly in browsers, however, even with valid code this always doesn't happen. It is important to actually look at your website using many different browsers due to the bugs different browsers have and how they interpret coding.

So basically what I am saying is this: while Matt Cutts has said it won't help, and for the most part that is probably correct, I feel that validating your code can't hurt you and in fact could potentially help you (if not today, maybe another day), even if only a little bit. You never know when a tech might do something to give a few extra points for valid code, things change. What Matt Cutts reported on was what techs currently told him, remember like many search engines things are always changing with them and how they score documents. So as for me and my websites I feel I should do everything in my power to ensure that my websites do score the best. While I am not perfect, and already know areas I can improve on, doing little things can still help... and if not for SEO, for your users. My primary concern are the users, and second is SEO. I have the belief that if you truly make a website that makes visitors want to come to it, then search engines will fall in line and really want to show your site on top of their SERPs.

So in summary I do validate code, even if the SEO effects are small if not zero. Validating code has caught things I have overlooked before that can affect my SEO, and has helped me resolve a few problems in browser compatibility.
  • antonyx
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • antonyx
  • Loc: London UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

if someone visits your site and it doesnt display properly... they may not visit again..

if someone visits your site and it takes sooo long to load... they may not visit again..

if someone visits your page.. and it displays fine.. and loads instantly.. but they cant access certain parts of it.. eg some javascript or flash.. i don't know.. then they may not visit again..

they almost definately wont recommend your site to a friend.. it will simply go through their eyes, and straight out the back of their head.

i know that when it comes to seo.. and search engines.. and the rat race to get hits.. we all try to think in terms of how the machine looks at the page..

but try to think of it that way instead... plus you might as well keep up with the latest standards and get into that habit or you wont last in this game my friend.
  • meman
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Your points are correct antonyx, I would agree with all of them. Which is why it's good to validate your code.

But improving user experience, site accessability and encouraging people to return isn't SEO.
  • SEO_Pro.
  • Student
  • Student

Post 3+ Months Ago

Meman,

Why would google let their techs tell the world that W3C compliant code will help with a web sites position in their SERPs? Right now only a small percentage of web developers make sure their code is valid, that percentile would rase a considerable amount if they were to let their techs release that information to Matt Cutts there for it would not help their algorithm as much.
  • meman
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

SEO_Pro, Yeah that's right, it's a big conspiracy, Matt Cutts must be lying :roll: ...
Give up.
  • SEO_Pro.
  • Student
  • Student

Post 3+ Months Ago

That was a sorry response. I did not say Matt Cutts was lying.
  • meman
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Bottom line is he is telling the truth, Not hiding anything, not misleading anyone, you know it and i know it... but for some reason, people find it hard to let go of this misconception that validated code is benificial to SEO.

If you want to carry on thinking incorrect statments are true, go ahead, But anyone with any sense what so ever will listen to what matt cutts says very carefully.

So if validated code helps SEO, why did matt cutts say it doesn't?
  • SEO_Pro.
  • Student
  • Student

Post 3+ Months Ago

Nvm. I never said Matt Cutts is lying or misleading anyone. Matt Cutts might think W3C validation does not help with SEO, but I do not trust that Matt Cutts really knows everything that does and does not help with SEO.
  • meman
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

SEO_Pro. wrote:
Nvm. I never said Matt Cutts is lying or misleading anyone. Matt Cutts might think W3C validation does not help with SEO, but I do not trust that Matt Cutts really knows everything that does and does not help with SEO.

Are you serious?
Quote:
Matt Cutts works for the quality group of Google. He specializes in search engine optimization issues. He is well known in the SEO community for enforcing the Google Webmaster Guidelines and cracking down on link spam.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matt_Cutts
  • SEO_Pro.
  • Student
  • Student

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have read some articles written in the past by some really good web analyst etc. I trust those people more then someone who is so big just because he is associated with google. I have seen some of his videos online and I would have to say I do not think he knows much and if he does he is holding back big time.. I do not credit people for their popularity only. Show me an article where Matt Cutts has something to say that I do not already know and have not picked up on somewhere else then I will give him the credit you think he deserves.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 41 posts