What are msn and yahoo good for?

• quantumcloud
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Dhaka, Bangladesh

Post 3+ Months Ago

Currently I get about 95% of my search engine hits from Google. The same keywords I hold high at are also ranking the same in both yahoo and msn. For example, http://www.quantumcloud.com/ ranks number 1 in google and yahoo for "outsource web solution". Number 2 in msn search. It's almost the same for most other keywords that I targetted. But...I get almost zero hits from msn or yahoo! What's the problem here? People just stopped using yahoo and msn search? What are your experiences?
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Johan007
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Aldershot, UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yes I get 85% of my traffic from Google. Google powers everything at the moment. - Has Google become a electronic god? - Happy Days!
  • Petebadger
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Petebadger
  • Loc: Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

It is true that the majority of (current) search engine traffic will be coming from Google, Google provide around 85% of the total web's traffic and that is reflected in your results. This was not always the case and Yahoo & Msn used to be the number one and two search engines worldwide.

Most people are using Google these days but Msn have just announced that they are making radical changes to their search facility which would appear to make it a much more vioable option again. Unless you are promoting a large blue chip (brand name) site I would not advise you to pay for inclusion to Yahoo but would still register using fast (alltheweb). On smaller scales this may not seem worthwhile but it is free and total coverage is still total coverage.
  • madmonk
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • madmonk
  • Loc: australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
I would not advise you to pay for inclusion to Yahoo but would still register using fast (alltheweb). On smaller scales this may not seem worthwhile but it is free and total coverage is still total coverage.

I think it depends on the spender/client. As long as he thinks it is worth the money, hey why not?

we are not talking abt big spenders here- how much does it cost for yahoo inclusion? 300 per year?

its worth a try for smaller companies too! :wink:
  • Petebadger
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Petebadger
  • Loc: Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

If you are receiving traffic from your Yahooo paid inclusion then more power to you, however for many start up sites £300 outlay that is unlikely to bring you anywhere near the traffic that a free listing in google would is not a viable option, as I said total covergae is always better than almost total coverage.

Many big named companies still perceive Yahoo to be a major player and contrary to the advise that they receive they still want to be listed in their directory, mainly to "keep up with the Jones" by this I mean that if Pepsi were listed in Yahoo then Coke would also HAVE to be listed whether it brought them any more traffic or not
  • dprichard
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Loc: Clearwater Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

I agree that Google is god, but I think it is important to rank for the other major players also. Google does account for a good amount of our traffic, but it is that one non Google using fool that finds your company that could be your biggest client. I optimize for Google first and the others seem to follow.
  • quantumcloud
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Petebadger,

Quote:
I would not advise you to pay for inclusion to Yahoo but would still register using fast (alltheweb). On smaller scales this may not seem worthwhile but it is free and total coverage is still total coverage.

What you mean by paid inclusion to yahoo? Yahoo has about 270 of my pages indexed ( Yahoo Results for quantumcloud). And the pages do appear in the SERPs for the relevent keywords. Is there anything more that paid inclusion can offer?

dprichard,

Yes, I agree that optimizing for google works for other search engines too. But the fact that google has become such a all in all god in driving traffic to our sites makes me little nervous. What if I displease the god somehow inadvertantly? lol. It will be really hard to get around without google sending all the traffics!
[/url]
  • vetofunk
  • A SEO GUY
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Chicago

Post 3+ Months Ago

Sometimes you do have to pfi to Yahoo. This mainly is the case when they index the wrong URL for your site or you just cannot get indexed. I have a site that had about 50 backlinks, and still has not been indexed yet.

Also, I do it for a site that has over 1000 products. This ensures me that everything is being indexed. Also, I get a report showing me every listing that is being clicked and every keyword that is being used to find my site in Yahoo's serps.

So it does have it's uses.
  • vetofunk
  • A SEO GUY
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

The difference between Google and Yahoo/MSN is that Google pay s a lot of attention to off-page factors while Yahoo and MSN mostly pay attention to on-page seo.
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: Sub-level 28

Post 3+ Months Ago

Petebadger wrote:
however for many start up sites £300 outlay that is unlikely to bring you anywhere near the traffic that a free listing in google would is not a viable option

But, depending on your market, it may cost MUCH MUCH more than 300 quid to have your site SEO'd and promoted to actually appear anywhere in the appropriate search results. Simply being indexed by Google isn't enough.
  • madmonk
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • madmonk

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
however for many start up sites £300 outlay that is unlikely to bring you anywhere near the traffic that a free listing in google would is not a viable option,

you are doing a $300 yahoo inclusion vs free listing google. thats not rite. afterall they could be targetting different pple altogether.

As long as start up sites is a part of yr commerce (ie, selling stuffs, revenue channel),

and not just a company website where they put their company info up,

I dont see why startup sites shld not fork out the $$ and get more exposure for thier businesses. as long as they want to earn $$from their site, they shld do it. unless it is like what Axe has said, it may costs more than 300 for soem industries....-----thats differetn story altogehter..
  • vetofunk
  • A SEO GUY
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well the advantage for new sites have paying the money to Yahoo is:

1) Almost instant inclusion
2) Guaranteed refreshing every 72 hours

Both you, as a new site, will not get in Google.

But yes Google is free and is most used; and thats why is is the most powerful search engine online.
  • quantumcloud
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks vetofunk for putting it nicely.
  • phaugh
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

"Google provide around 85% of the total web's traffic" I think that's a little overstated.....do you have any proof of this. I receive slightly more hits from yahoo than google. But I have dozens of terms that I rank very well for in yahoo and only a few that I rank well for in google. It has become harder to be diverse on google since Jan 04....especially for real estate terms.
  • vetofunk
  • A SEO GUY
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

I would say Google takes maybe 40-50%, not 85%.
  • phaugh
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

That sounds reasonable....but my logs show an increase in yahoo traffic since Jan 1, nearly matching that of google and in some months surpassing bigG.....yahoo traffic has increased most since they stopped using google results.....not sure if this is a result of more people using yahoo or just better rankings in yahoo....I some times have to use yahoo to find what I want since google has certain keyword areas that it returns poor results for...a la hilltop
  • phpservers
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • phpservers

Post 3+ Months Ago

Bill Gates stated that he will be investing $6.8 Billion on the MSN Search Engine... Which is about 10 times the amount google invests per year.

For the past few years Yahoo! has also been using google to get it's results - A couple of months ago Yahoo! chose to pull out of this contract... I dont know what is happening from there.

Google might have some competition within the next few years although personally I cant see other Search Engines gaining a lot of ground on the industry giant.
  • madmonk
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • madmonk

Post 3+ Months Ago

lol. I would luv to read on the article on that.
linky?
  • phpservers
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • phpservers

Post 3+ Months Ago

I read the $6.8 Billion article a couple of days ago, i will look through my history to try and get something but I cant promise anything....
  • phpservers
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • phpservers

Post 3+ Months Ago

It seems I've misquoted Bill Gates :shock:

He is investing $6.8 Billion, but not just on MSN Search alone. Neither one of these are the page that I got my information from, so it could have been that page that misquoted him....
http://www.spacedaily.com/2003/03111708 ... ixrjk.html
http://www.a42.com/node/view/87

And heres a transcript of BG talking about his investments:
http://www.microsoft.com/billgates/spee ... artner.asp
  • madmonk
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • madmonk

Post 3+ Months Ago

thanks for linky. it is good to read from the source. :-)
  • phaugh
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

"Google might have some competition within the next few years although personally I cant see other Search Engines gaining a lot of ground on the industry giant."...nobody ever thought that netscape would be knocked from the top of the browser world...what will happen when the msn search engine is integrated in to Windows desktop...it will get used quite frequently as long as users get the results that are relevant
btw you can get a preview of the new msn search engine here: http://techpreview.search.msn.com
  • madmonk
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • madmonk

Post 3+ Months Ago

I read the articles. and what uncle bill said..(long winded). It looks pretty promising for msn. with that kind of budget, it seems like nothing is impossible for them!

although I can hardly agree to this..

"when we put those new features in, the price is $50. So you spend billions and billions and billions and it's way better, but it's the same price."

lol. yeah right..
  • jlknauff
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

Petebadger wrote:
It is true that the majority of (current) search engine traffic will be coming from Google, Google provide around 85% of the total web's traffic and that is reflected in your results.

Where did you get that info from? It is not correct.

Google provides 41%, Yahoo 31% and MSN is 27%. AOL provides 13% but it's powered by Google so add the two together and you are at 54%-a far cry from 85%

http://searchenginewatch.com/reports/ar ... hp/2156451

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 24 posts