What Google looked like in 1998

• Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin
  • Loc: Seattle, WA & Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

Check this out. I thought this was interesting. Check out what Google used to look like many years ago:

http://web.archive.org/web/199812022304 ... oogle.com/

Suprisingly it does not look all that different. They have pretty much stuck with the same plan from the start it appears (design wise). But in my opinion its great because its so simple! and it has obviously worked :)
  • Borrow -A- Geek
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: Dallas/Ft Worth, Texas

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thats unbelieveable! wow! they have come a long ways! when did they first launch? 1998?
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin

Post 3+ Months Ago

"But the dot-com parallels end when you look at the finances. The dot-bombs burned through tons of other people's money. Google makes a pile of cash on its own. After it went live in September 1999--six months before the Internet bubble finally popped--Google took in perhaps $25 million in 2000. Then it leaped fourfold to approach $100 million in 2001 and tripled to $300 million last year. Its gross could more than double this year to $700 million, estimates Safa Rashtchy of U.S. Bancorp Piper Jaffray."

Looks like it went live in September of 1999. So that archive is google before anybody really even knew about it.
  • Borrow -A- Geek
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

well, actually here is an even earlier edition of google before they even had the domain name... have a look

http://web.archive.org/web/199811111835 ... nford.edu/
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin

Post 3+ Months Ago

Very nice, I notice how they used to have that e-mail link so that you could get on their mailing list. That is amazing, nobody really even knew who they were then, and now everybody knows about them. It is kind of cool looking back to see how they started.
  • UNFLUX
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: twitter.com/unflux

Post 3+ Months Ago

that truly is amazing! in terms of graphics they haven't change much at
all! haha they need a logo update! wonder if they'd hire me....

anyway, daydream over. very cool links. archive.org is fun to browse.
  • guitrspaz
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • guitrspaz
  • Loc: Baltimore, MD

Post 3+ Months Ago

just thought it was interesting that all the links on the pages (such as the about page) drive to the 1999 versions of the pages...for example, in the credits, the nasa and darpa links drive to their 1999 websites...hee hee. I'm amused by the dumbest things.
  • Borrow -A- Geek
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

actually your not alone.. it amuses me too... but i cant begin to fathom the size of that database... even though the images are gone from most of the archived sites, it still has to be HUGE
  • UNFLUX
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

yes it does! I wondered that myself. seriously must be HUUUUUUUUGE! :shock:
  • Borrow -A- Geek
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

i just did a rough estimate on the calc, and at an average of 20Kb per page online, TIMES 3,083,000,000 (rounded down) pages found and spidered on google, that equals approx 61TB (Terra Bytes) (or 61,660,000,000,000 Bytes!!!)

un believable!!
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thats alot of hard drives!
  • UNFLUX
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

no kidding! :shock:

how many actual servers you think they run?
  • RBeau
  • Student
  • Student
  • RBeau
  • Loc: Aurora, CO

Post 3+ Months Ago

Now I am not a technical genious, but I wonder how they can search your search string you put in through 61 terabytes of information in so little time??? kinda makes you think eh?

Rbeau
  • UNFLUX
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

it's absolutey unfathomable -- pure craziness
  • RBeau
  • Student
  • Student
  • RBeau
  • Loc: Aurora, CO

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
UNFLUX it's absolutey unfathomable -- pure craziness

It just actually makes you think that that is probably why Google is used so widely on the internet, they found something that works for people out on the net and something that works good. I know I would probably be sad If I woke up one day and google was not there.

I guess I don't know everyone yet, and I should someday know how everyone's sense of humor works out here... your last post UnFlux, was that sarcasm? heheh or were you being serious? :)

I can be a humorous person too, but I don't want to make anyone mad on here to get myself banned. :) So I usually am trying to do my best to observe and find out what will and will not make people upset, I know that this is a relatively serious Forum, and I don't want to get away from that Attitude here.

:)

Rbeau
  • UNFLUX
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

that wasn't a joke at all, but more pure amazement! and we joke here
too ya know. Just don't joke too many times in a short period or you will
be banned.

Oh yeah, and don't make fun of moderators or you will be banned.

One more thing, if you question me or any other member again, including
yourself, you will be banned.

aw hell....if you come back to this forum, you will be banned!

breathe - banned
blink - banned
swallow - banned

hehe jk ;)
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin

Post 3+ Months Ago

Haha :anonymous:
  • b_heyer
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Maryland

Post 3+ Months Ago

I am bumping this up because of this:
Quote:
Index contains ~25 million pages (soon to be much bigger)

The soon to be much bigger part cracks me up!

That was in 1998, and now it says:
Quote:
Searching 3,083,324,652 web pages

Its 120 times the size it was back in 98, and thats in 5 years, so we could easily be seing the real reason it's called google in the near future.
(Google is a really really big number, don't remember how many zeroes but heck they are still close with 3 trillion!)
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well its actually googol that is the huge number, but Google is related directly to that. I read an article on how they figured out their name and it was based off the huge number of googol. For anyone curious:

"Google is a play on the word googol, which was coined by Milton Sirotta, nephew of American mathematician Edward Kasner, to refer to the number represented by 1 followed by 100 zeros. Google's use of the term reflects the company's mission to organize the immense amount of information available on the web."

http://www.google.com/corporate/history.html
http://www.google.com/corporate/facts.html
  • b_heyer
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Maryland

Post 3+ Months Ago

well if google grows steadily based on 120 times it size every 5 years... (which it wont it should grow much faster)...

then in 50 years: 1,857,520,926,720,000,000,000,000,000,000
or 1.9 nonillion

in 100 years: 5,324,666,656,177,048,780,800,000,000,000,000,000
or 5.3 undecillion

in 250 years: 2,688,196,740,684,200,183,964,802,112,510,400,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000
or 2.7 trevigintillion

in 500 years:
3,082,334,383,309,505,588,012,526,977,710,100,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000
or 3.1 octovigintillion

almost there (god I was really bored!)
ah crap
I lost count! it's not really in 500 years, more like 400 but who cares, this is really insignificant, considering google should grow at an increasing rate, probably from 120x every five years to 240x every five years and so on, at which point google would probably make a googol at somewhere around 50 years.

Yes I am really bored. Yea I really have no life. Yes, this all was rather pointless!
  • The Shrew
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

Heh, it was still fun to see Brandon. That'll mean for every search given, google will give you more results than can be read through in a lifetime. :shock:
  • Nucleo
  • SausagePorkPie
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: UK - England

Post 3+ Months Ago

well, i find it hard to beleive as well, i mean, it can search thru all those pages in 0.3 seconds at times, makes u wonder, they store all that information....what internet connection r they on, and how much a month lmao :D:D:D:D
  • dr nick
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • dr nick
  • Loc: Frankfurt

Post 3+ Months Ago

If you're really interested in how google works, here's the beginning of their technology:

http://dbpubs.stanford.edu:8090/pub/1999-66

That contains the original paper from Sergey Brin and Lawrence Page from Stanford, and describes the original pagerank and search database algorithm in some detail. They have some neat tricks to get the results so fast...but rest assured, they don't scan through the billions of pages for each query!!!
  • phaugh
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

Those colors hurt my eyes 8)
  • Cuerock
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Cuerock
  • Loc: My cubical

Post 3+ Months Ago

They really need a overhaul huh!!! LOL :twisted: