• No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• prophetesque
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • prophetesque

Post 3+ Months Ago

To be honest i have no idea, but if i had to guess, i would say this: a metric is a mathematical function that associates with each pair of elements of a set a real nonnegative number with the general properties of distance such that the number is zero only if the two elements are identical, the number is the same regardless of the order in which the two elements are taken, and the number associated with one pair of elements plus that associated with one member of the pair and a third element is equal to or greater than the number associated with the other member of the pair and the third element.
In search engine terms, it would have to do with the quantifying of search phrases used, and site hits, along with various other statistics that the search engine keeps track of.
Again i dont really know, this is the best guess i can come up with off the top of my head.
  • rtchar
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

In plain english 'metrics' are the factors that search engines use to determine relevance of search results.

In the case of Google ...

Quote:
In order to rank a document with a single word query, Google looks at that document's hit list for that word. Google considers each hit to be one of several different types (title, anchor, URL, plain text large font, plain text small font, ...), each of which has its own type-weight. The type-weights make up a vector indexed by type. Google counts the number of hits of each type in the hit list. Then every count is converted into a count-weight. Count-weights increase linearly with counts at first but quickly taper off so that more than a certain count will not help. We take the dot product of the vector of count-weights with the vector of type-weights to compute an IR score for the document. Finally, the IR score is combined with PageRank to give a final rank to the document.

Taken from The Anatomy of a Large-Scale Hypertextual Web Search Engine
  • dreams
  • Student
  • Student
  • Loc: New Delhi

Post 3+ Months Ago

hi

you will find lots of informations from different peoples around the work all of them will speak there own research methods. I found noone can suggest you the best then google. so read this http://www.google.com/webmasters/index.html

carefully. You will find your answer.

Cheers

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 4 posts