Your thoughts on this article

• GimmeMyDomains
  • Student
  • Student
  • GimmeMyDomains

Post 3+ Months Ago

I ran across this article, and was pretty turned off after just a few lines. Here's the first paragraph:
Quote:
/24-7PressRelease/ - (New York, NY) - October 30, 2006 – There are a few guaranteed basics to help with your search engine listing ranking. The second option is one that some still debate, however we feel has great pull. List your site in DMOZ directory and list in Yahoo Directory. Anyone can do this, and most people do.

The part that floored me was the statement regarding DMOZ, saying "Anyone can do this, and most people do."

I say BALONEY! From my own experience, and from reading forums like this one I know that lots of people with decent websites have busted their butts to get listed in DMOZ, and can never manage to get listed. DMOZ's listing process seems extremely subjective, and at times I wonder if the reason I can't get listed in there is because the editor for my category must be my biggest competitor or something.

Since I highly respect the opinions here on this forum, I'm interested in some of your reactions & insight, and if the rest of the article made any decent points.

Full article is here: http://www.24-7pressrelease.com/view_pr ... ssID=20101

Thanks for your insights,
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• meman
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: London Town , Apples and pears and all that crap

Post 3+ Months Ago

people worry far too much about DMOZ. It's just a directory. A link from DMOZ has no greater effect that a link from any page of equal quality.
  • Solutions
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Denmark

Post 3+ Months Ago

DMOZ is good no matter how you put it.
  • meman
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

It's no better than any other link . DMOZ is just a directory, It doesn't have any special powers.

What makes it so special?
  • Solutions
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Denmark

Post 3+ Months Ago

It is special that many, many other sites makes mirror sites of the DMOZ listings and therefor a single listing in DMOZ ends up giving you many links for free - not great quality, but more than you asked for.
  • quantumcloud
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Dhaka, Bangladesh

Post 3+ Months Ago

Not to mention that Google directory itself uses dmoz data verbatim.
  • dyefade
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dmoz

Quote:
The ODP's main server suffered a "catastrophic" system failure on or around 20 October 2006. Editors have not been able to log into their accounts, no updates or corrections to the site have been possible, and the version of the site visible to visitors is an older build. Public as well as internal forums are working, but there is no official word as to when the site will be fully functional again. It is said by one of the editors that the site is working again but the Dmoz staff have not yet brought the website back to its normal operation due to testing. Access has been restricted to a few editors, staff members and administrators, and one Dmoz editor has suggested that normal work will not be possible until restored data has been thoroughly tested. No expected testing completion date has been announced.

Errrr.... Anyone know anything more?
  • meman
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

I hadn't heard about that dyefade. Hopefully DMOZ will speed up it's slow death so we can all forget about it.

Solutions, Maybe i am old fasioned, But the last thing i want is backlinks from scraper sites.
  • quantumcloud
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Dhaka, Bangladesh

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yeah, it is true about the coma of dmoz. I am an editor of dmoz but having problem logging in. According to resource-zone:

Quote:
We are currently experiencing technical problems with our servers. Currently the public pages are static pages that have been generated from a backup. This means:

(1) the public pages do not reflect the most recent updates made to the directory;

(2) scripted pages, including site suggestion and application forms, are not functioning; and

(3) editors are unable to check the status of new editor applications.

We do not currently have an ETA for the resolution of the technical difficulties. We will update this announcement when the system is fully functioning again -- please do not start threads asking why the system isn't working properly or when it will be available again.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 9 posts