Advice Needed : Purchase of Website

  • schmikes
  • Newbie
  • Newbie
  • schmikes
  • Posts: 6

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi guys,

I hope I am posting this in the correct section.
Need some opinion/advice here.Someone wants to sell me a website for USD3000.

I have been monitoring the stats for almost 2 weeks.It gets around 30000 visitors and 300000 pageviews daily.However I noticed the traffic has dropped since the start of the month.According to him, this is due to the holiday season/period thats approaching (Christmas,New Year etc)
Does this apply to all websites?

What other things do I have to look out for before actually purchasing the website?

Thank you.
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 5738
  • Loc: Sub-level 28

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well, it doesn't apply to all websites.. I mean, if you're selling Xmas Tree Ornaments from your online store, chances are you'd get more traffic during November/December. :)

But yeah, it's common for some industries to have their traffic go down at this time of year.

I'd look at the past couple of year's worth of stats (AWStats is good for this), to see trends in how much it's growing on average each month, and how it compares now vs. the same time the previous year (and the year before that if possible), to try to guestimate how much it could grow in the future.
  • schmikes
  • Newbie
  • Newbie
  • schmikes
  • Posts: 6

Post 3+ Months Ago

Axe wrote:
Well, it doesn't apply to all websites.. I mean, if you're selling Xmas Tree Ornaments from your online store, chances are you'd get more traffic during November/December. :)

But yeah, it's common for some industries to have their traffic go down at this time of year.

I'd look at the past couple of year's worth of stats (AWStats is good for this), to see trends in how much it's growing on average each month, and how it compares now vs. the same time the previous year (and the year before that if possible), to try to guestimate how much it could grow in the future.


Its not an ecommerce website.
I do not have last years stats.This site was started in May 2004.Had a major facelift in October 2005.
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 5738
  • Loc: Sub-level 28

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well, I'd still ask them for stats from a while back...

You can't just look at a couple of weeks. They may have paid for a service 3 weeks ago that sends tens of thousands of fake hits to their site, just to make the traffic look busy :)
  • schmikes
  • Newbie
  • Newbie
  • schmikes
  • Posts: 6

Post 3+ Months Ago

Axe wrote:
Well, I'd still ask them for stats from a while back...

You can't just look at a couple of weeks. They may have paid for a service 3 weeks ago that sends tens of thousands of fake hits to their site, just to make the traffic look busy :)


Wow! You mean to say such service actually exists?

Hmm... So the best would be to get last year's stats?
I mean from May 2004 onwards?


Traffic Rank for inethouse.net: 106,907
Does that mean anything ?
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 5738
  • Loc: Sub-level 28

Post 3+ Months Ago

Oh yeah, there's services out there, as well as scripts you can create to give the impression of false hits in the log file (which is what AWStats and other apps use to generate the informaiton they display)..

I'd check out the site's history in http://www.archive.org ("The WayBack Machine"). See how it's evolved over time, if it's even LOOKED like a busy site in its history...

Possibly check Alexa information for the past however many months it shows... See how it's doing for its targeted search terms, etc.

You can pretty much make any site earn back the initial $3,000 investment. How much work it's going to take though, well that's what you've got to try and figure out now based on how it's been performing (and increasing, or decreasing) over the past few months.
  • schmikes
  • Newbie
  • Newbie
  • schmikes
  • Posts: 6

Post 3+ Months Ago

Axe wrote:
Oh yeah, there's services out there, as well as scripts you can create to give the impression of false hits in the log file (which is what AWStats and other apps use to generate the informaiton they display)..

I'd check out the site's history in http://www.archive.org ("The WayBack Machine"). See how it's evolved over time, if it's even LOOKED like a busy site in its history...

Possibly check Alexa information for the past however many months it shows... See how it's doing for its targeted search terms, etc.

You can pretty much make any site earn back the initial $3,000 investment. How much work it's going to take though, well that's what you've got to try and figure out now based on how it's been performing (and increasing, or decreasing) over the past few months.


Went to http://www.archive.org
Doesnt really say much.Based on what I get in archive.org how would I know if its a busy site?

As for Alexa, nothing much was provided.
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 5738
  • Loc: Sub-level 28

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well, if it's archiving pages like a forum index, you can see how many users it's picking up each month, number of posts, etc. Can be an indication of past traffic levels..

Ozzu back in the day :)

Post Information

  • Total Posts in this topic: 8 posts
  • Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests
  • You cannot post new topics in this forum
  • You cannot reply to topics in this forum
  • You cannot edit your posts in this forum
  • You cannot delete your posts in this forum
  • You cannot post attachments in this forum
 
 

© 1998-2014. Ozzu® is a registered trademark of Unmelted, LLC.