Any DMOZ editors here?

• DavyDuke17
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • DavyDuke17

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hey,

I was wondering if any there are any DMOZ editors registered and if they could awnser some questions like:

I applied to a topic without an editor, so who will look at my submission

and

I had applied to a different category thats very similar and another person working on my site also submitted not knowing I had - will my site be considered spam?

Thanks for anyone that can help. If the editors can't make certain comments I understand.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

• vetofunk
  • A SEO GUY
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Chicago

Post 3+ Months Ago

I am an editor for a few categories in DMOZ.

The answer to the first question is, well im pretty sure, that an editor in that sector (not the right wording) will handle it. If a smaller category does not have an editor, usually the editor of the larger catgory that it falls under will look at it.

As far as spamming, I doubt the editor will ban it or anything. We always check to see if that is the best place for the submission to be. And if it listed somewhere else, I usually just delete the latest submission unless I feel it is more valuable in my category.

Then again, I have only been an editor for a short time, so others may have other opinons.

:P
  • vetofunk
  • A SEO GUY
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Chicago

Post 3+ Months Ago

One more thing, a great place to get answers to your questions concerning dmoz is their forum, http://www.resource-zone.com.
  • Buster
  • Student
  • Student
  • Buster

Post 3+ Months Ago

Just because a category does not have a 'named editor' there is no category that could not be edited by a higher editor. There are many editors who can edit in the entire directory and of course there are then the editors higher in the branch. There is no way of determining 'who' will review the submission, only that 'someone' will.

As for the spam question. For obvious reason editors will not enter into conversations relating to spam so as to ensure the integrity of the systems in place however I will not be overstepping the mark by simply saying that a few 'mis' categorised submissions here and there are unlikely to get a user labelled as a spammer.

Just to add that just because a person is labelled a spammer does not mean all their sites are 'banned'. DMOZ lists sites based on ..content ... content & content. If the site has content of value to the category within which it has been listed then it is highly likely to remain. DMOZ look at sites on behalf of the directory users and downstream data users and as such the opinions or behaviour of the webmasters/companies etc are of no importance in the process.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 5 posts