Attracting Visitors

• TheNotoriousMogg
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • TheNotoriousMogg
  • Loc: Silicon Valley, CA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hey I am a newbie and I run a console gaming discussion forum. http://www.console-crazy.com I am trying to figure out how to get my name out there more, I submitted to search engines and stuff and still no real luck. Can anyone help me with tips? if this is the wrong forum I apologize in advance.

Thank you.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• alien
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • alien

Post 3+ Months Ago

You got a nice forum.

Forum always take time to build up the visitor base.
1. Link Exchange with related sites.
2. Put your site in your signature.
3. Paid advertising.
  • jfvb1225
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Ohio

Post 3+ Months Ago

alien wrote:
3. Paid advertising.

Try google ad-words (pay-per-click)
  • CazpianXI
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Check out http://www.webmasterbids.com.

Hope this helps.
  • TheNotoriousMogg
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • TheNotoriousMogg

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have google adds, they dont get me visitors
  • Johan007
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Aldershot, UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

Google adds NO way cos there is no return on expenditure.

My brother has a website you may want to exchange links with at http://www.whatconsole.co.uk

Do that then do more!
  • TheNotoriousMogg
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • TheNotoriousMogg

Post 3+ Months Ago

Johan007 wrote:
My brother has a website you may want to exchange links with at http://www.whatconsole.co.uk

Do that then do more!

I sent him an e-mail :D
  • vetofunk
  • A SEO GUY
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Chicago

Post 3+ Months Ago

I would continue to read the other threads in this forum. They share a great deal of information on what needs to be done to have a successful site.
  • CazpianXI
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

TheNotoriousMogg wrote:
I have google adds, they dont get me visitors

Google pays you to display ad-sense on your website. Dosen't give you any traffic.

Mayble you're thinking of Google ad-words, where you pay Google to be a "featured listing" on the top or top-right of the search results, which should give you more traffic. (ad-words is PPC)
  • vetofunk
  • A SEO GUY
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

There is much more involved than just throwing up Google Ads. You have to do keyword research (so important!), track your click through rate, your conversion rate (if possible) and measure results.

One thing you can do off the bat is change that homepage title. You can keep the site name but put it at the end. Find what phrase best describes your site and see if it is searched.
This can help you (also with Google Adwords):
http://inventory.overture.com/d/searchi ... uggestion/

Also, make sure you submit your site to DMOZ as well as other directories for better free search positioning.

Alot more information all over this forum.
  • CazpianXI
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

alien wrote:
Forum always take time to build up the visitor base.
1. Link Exchange with related sites.
2. Put your site in your signature.
3. Paid advertising.

My personal opinion is that all the above help, but paid advertising pays off the best. BUT make sure that if you spend money, don't go the cheepest route - make sure that you money is going to be worth it.
  • CazpianXI
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

If you want free links, try this: write an article, then post it on http://www.articlecity.com. Make sure that you link to yourself at the and of the article. It's a good way to get a free link... and since it's got a Google PR 6, it'll help your popularity in Google.

Also, try submitting your article to the following list of sites:

http://directory.google.com/Top/Computers/Software/Internet/Site_Management/Content_Management/Content_Providers/?il=1
  • Johan007
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

CazpianXI wrote:
My personal opinion is that all the above help, but paid advertising pays off the best. BUT make sure that if you spend money, don't go the cheepest route - make sure that you money is going to be worth it.

I disagree. There is no ROI (Return on Investment) on pay per click for TheNotoriousMogg console site. Unless you sell a product. My brothers console web site gets plenty of visitors from Google without pay per click however they never spend anything on the banner advertising.
  • CazpianXI
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Very good point - search engine traffic is often better than ads... and you don't pay anything.

Point well received.
  • vetofunk
  • A SEO GUY
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think it all depends on the product your trying to sell. I have many clients that have a 5-10% ROI, and I have a few that have a 25-30% ROI. And then the branded clients I have very low ROI because they only compete with their own free listings.

Pay Per Clicks are always good in the beginning when you have no web presence. If you are looking for people to sign up on your site and you have no free listing presence, you can try it. There are also other ppc engines that have worked well, but cost 10x less like enhance.com. You won't get the traffic of Google, but you'll spend a hell of lot less.

I would stop focusing on the amount to spend on PPC, but concern yourself with optimizing your pages (title, description, h1 tags...). Also exchange links with other relative sites, forums. I think I stressed this earlier, but submit to directories such as DMOZ.

Good Luck 8)
  • Johan007
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

CazpianXI wrote:
Very good point - search engine traffic is often better than ads... and you don't pay anything.

Point well received.

No mon that’s not what I meant at all!

Pay per click is very powerful for the correct product but its not a way to promote a content site.
  • CazpianXI
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

:oops:

Sorry for the misunderstanding.

I get your point.
  • jfvb1225
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Ohio

Post 3+ Months Ago

vetofunk wrote:
Pay Per Clicks are always good in the beginning when you have no web presence.

Thats what I meant when I suggested ad-words.
  • stickfigure
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • stickfigure

Post 3+ Months Ago

1. exchange links with similar sites
2. search for link free for alls (these wont help your search engine rating but you will get hits from them if you are on the right target sites)
3. banner exchanges
4. there are search engines (MUCH smaller than yahoo or google) that are strictly for target audiences.
5. paid advertising. many have been successful WITOUT paid advertising, but you must have a lot of time on your hands and dedication to promoting your site (without spamming!)

for instance, most of my websites are music related. i generally type in "music search engine" and sit there for hours adding my links

slap your link up ANYWHERE you can! (without invading peoples' space) if people consistantly see a name or url they may not click it the first time but theyll remember the name. theyll feel safer on your site if they decide into the future, because youll have as strong web presence. this is especially important if you are selling products.

persistance pays off.
  • vetofunk
  • A SEO GUY
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

You forgot directories....not only do DMOZ, Yahoo, Joeant, and others bring in PR and what I have seen, better and quicker rankings, but they also bring in sales.
  • TheNotoriousMogg
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • TheNotoriousMogg

Post 3+ Months Ago

Do you guys have any example places that promote gaming sites? I have found a few, but not many :(

Thanks again :D
  • eCommando
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • eCommando
  • Loc: California, USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

You should try to optimize the site and do a lot of link exchange with other sites in the field. Go to discussion boards in related field and post messages there with your signature.
  • vetofunk
  • A SEO GUY
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

If your having trouble finding other sites like yours, do searches on directories (can anyone tell i like directories ;-))

Try DMOZ, Yahoo Directory, ZEAL, or JoeAnt.
  • Johan007
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

TheNotoriousMogg I will add you to Zeal cos you are promoting my bro's site.
  • vetofunk
  • A SEO GUY
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Johan007 wrote:

Ahh, another Zeal Editor. Nice...
  • TheNotoriousMogg
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • TheNotoriousMogg

Post 3+ Months Ago

Johan007 wrote:

Thank you...but what is Zeal?
  • vetofunk
  • A SEO GUY
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

It is a directory of non-commercial sites, part of Looksmart.

http://www.zeal.com
  • Tom the Great
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: B.C., Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

Like what CazpianXI said, about the submitting articles. Maybe submit articles related to gaming to other console/gamming sites. I'm sure you can find sites out there that let users submit articles, or even reviews and stuff like that. And just make sure you add your link to the bottom of the article or wherever it's supposed to go.

It's harder when a site is just a forum, and in my honest opinion a forum should be a side thing, or have the forum 'bundeled' with other content like game reviews, previews, information, etc.(even if it's just a forum portal) but it doesn't have to be like that, take a look at ozzu for example. ;)
  • SEO Guy
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Loc: Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

I know in the gaming market affilliate relationships are HUGE! I am the SEO For http://www.gamezone.com and traffic is driven and given to and from us all the time VIA affiliates. Submitting articles and reviews (That are actually decent and thought out) will attract both links from other sites and traffic from people reading the articles on sites like gamezone.
  • TheNotoriousMogg
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • TheNotoriousMogg

Post 3+ Months Ago

I added a banner for that site and sent an e-mail.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 30 posts