best way to get known?

• tommya
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • tommya
  • Loc: United Kingdom

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi,

I'm after advice on what kind of things I need to code into my pages in order to make the most of search engines.
I have been told its something to do with META tags, is this correct?

Can anyone give me any points on how best to set up my pages so that the little robots can do their thing and scan the site
  • vetofunk
  • A SEO GUY
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Chicago

Post 3+ Months Ago

Meta tags are a very small part of it. I actually would spend very little time on the keyword tag...but anyway, I would research these threads where you will find more than enough information to start seeing some progress with your site.

As far as Meta Tags:

Description Tag - Important to MSN and Yahoo. Less important in Google unless you have no text on your page. Make it keyword rich and 1-3 sentences long.
Keyword Tag - Almost useless currently. Use for misspellings or rare, unique words.
Title Tag (not exactly a meta tag) - Very very important to every search engine out there. Make this tag keyword rich (not stuffing) and about 60 characters (my own opinion) long.
  • GSlinger
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Ohio

Post 3+ Months Ago

i agree with all the above. but also try to link to other sites and have them link to you. put your link in your sig here too. increases chances of getting crawled and helps PR some too.
  • Jess
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Don't forget the power of links.

Make sure you get a ton of links pointing your way. This is always going to help with your rankings.
  • meman
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: London Town , Apples and pears and all that crap

Post 3+ Months Ago

Putting a link in your sig here wont help GSlinger because of the exit.cgi ozzu uses, and a link in your profile dosnt help because bots are dissallowed from spidering profiles.
Code: [ Select ]
Disallow: /profile.php

The best thing to do is have content that people want to tell thier friends about.
  • GSlinger
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

i know that. but it does read them. it just dosnt follow. search google. it will show my posts and my link. the spider just doenst follow it. thats what i was tryin to say.
look
the link shows up in my google search.
http://www.google.com/search?q=twmsdude.freeprohost&hl=en&lr=&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official_s&filter=0
so it reads them. i know it cant do anything with them because of the exit script.
  • Jess
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

GSlinger wrote:
i know that. but it does read them. it just dosnt follow. search google. it will show my posts and my link. the spider just doenst follow it. thats what i was tryin to say.
look
the link shows up in my google search.
http://www.google.com/search?q=twmsdude.freeprohost&hl=en&lr=&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official_s&filter=0
so it reads them. i know it cant do anything with them because of the exit script.

I do not see why this is significant? So it reads the text, but it doesn't help in any way with seo so it has no use....
  • GSlinger
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

im retarted. forget it.
im just gonna keep posting in general discussion.
  • meman
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

you can find which sites link to yours using the googe syntax
link:www.yoursite.com

http://www.google.com/search?q=link%3Awww.ozzu.com
  • SSH-Raj
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

best way to get know i have found is to paint your site on your chest and goto a huge sporting event (the superbowl or the final match of the us open are good ones to use). then just take off your clothes and run around on the field and try to stay out there as long as possible without getting captured. works every time :)
  • meman
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

I sometimes email radio shows and try to trick them into reading my url out by disguising it lol.
  • discountdomains
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • discountdomains
  • Loc: Telford UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

I run an article site, that has a lot of helpful articles on this very subject, try http://www.articlealley.com

Clare
  • piksites
  • piksites

Post 3+ Months Ago

You could use my free link exchange progarm to get backlinks :-)

http://linkexchange.piksites.com

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 13 posts