E-commerce software & SEO

• MJ
  • Born
  • Born
  • MJ

Post 3+ Months Ago

Does anyone know how e-commerce software can inhibit proper SEO? I'm particularly concerned with AbleCommerce and X-Cart.

Thanks!
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• phaugh
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

The only thing that comes to mind would be the way the urls are constructed...they're usually dynamic urls which the spiders don't like or they may have session id's which don't work very either....each engine is different in regards to these items.

You could build some static pages and a site map to combat these issues....lots of links will help too.
  • Redcell
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Loveland, Colorado

Post 3+ Months Ago

We built our site with Ablecommerce, and besides the fact that it does create dynamic pages the software is surprisingly optimised. As far as features go Ablecommerce is by far the best bang for the buck! You can do almost anything with the software and its relatively easy to use. The only issue we have had has been with their customer service but thats getting better too.

Ian
  • phaugh
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

Is your whole site built using this product...or just the shopping cart. Here's what the search engines are picking up as urls from your site:

"www.redcellpaintball.com/Goggles-Safety-C9.aspx?UserID=31084&SessionID=qz8QA1M1kJb9y4LDAaie"

"www.redcellpaintball.com/Guns-Markers-C44.aspx?UserID=30646&SessionID=kNVWuLWxUHtZcAh016hk"

There's thousands of pages like this.

Search google for: -aspx? site:www.redcellpaintball.com

This will return all the pages that don't end in aspx?

There's only one.
  • phaugh
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

This is an excerpt from Ablecommerce's website:
http://www.ablecommerce.com/SEO-FAQ-3-B ... 78C76.aspx

....issues that might cause the search engines not to crawl or index you website. Such as excessive use of JavaScript, linked images and ‘?’ (Question marks) in your URL’s......Research URL re-writing tools such as Apache mod_rewrite and for Windows 200x servers ISAPI_Rewrite by Helicon Technologies is an excellent tool. ISAPI_Rewrite is incorporated deeply into the IIS 5.0/6.0 layer. It’s possible to use these tools create more search engine friendly page names. For example the following rule and some modifications to your shopping cart pages your stores URL’s could be dramatically improved.

They are now offering a rwite component for the shopping cart but you have to have a server that allows com installs if you're on Windows and you have to use their database.
  • phaugh
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

If you go here and enter your url

http://www.webconfs.com/search-engine-s ... ulator.php

you can see what the spiders see...mostly dynamic urls with session id's and other parameters. It's going to difficult to pass any PR around the site with this type of setup. Which means the interior pages will not rank well.
  • phaugh
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

One other thing that's effecting your PR is that you have links all through your site that point to :
http://www.redcellpaintball.com/index.aspx

That page has a PR2 and you domain has PR3
These are viewed by the SEs as different pages...you might get to PR4 if you change all the internal links to just the domain name without index.aspx
  • Redcell
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Loveland, Colorado

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks for the Tip I created a whole new post for this one!
  • Jess
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

In reply to the original question -

Most establish commerce packages have been designed to be eo friendly (or at least there is a mod for them to make them that way)

I usually use oscommerce (just my preference) and we get great results for all products.
  • expressweb
  • expressweb
  • Loc: Bhopal

Post 3+ Months Ago

Every Ecommerce software with Search Engine friendly url will work on SEO
  • kruss
  • Born
  • Born
  • kruss
  • Loc: mobile, al

Post 3+ Months Ago

jess if you use osc, have you ever consider using zen-cart, its a fork of osc and a lot better, i have used both and have ported all my sites to zen-cart
it's free, gpl, and all the fresh fried goodness, this goes to all in this forum as well, lots of mods, sefu as well, i don't work for them just thought it would help
2 cents an all
thx

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 11 posts