Description and keyword question

• krynnmaliki
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • krynnmaliki

Post 3+ Months Ago

My question concerns length of description and keywords. It seems there is no length that is standard across search engines. Here is my question though. Say my description on page1 is 250 characters and the search engine wants only 200 what happends? Does it just show 200 of it? that is what I figured, but I also thought it could possibly just not index it if its too long. Same question basicly applys to keywords as well.

Thank you
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• freelancedailydotnet

Post 3+ Months Ago

I was taught to try to stay at 160 characters (including spaces) and that it should pick up my description. I did that and I noticed that Yahoo used the first part of MY description and then went down the page and just chose some other text to add to it. Urghh!

I would love to hear what others have to say on this subject. Thanks! Suzanne
  • Jaddy
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Jaddy

Post 3+ Months Ago

I had try havi`n a 100 to 150 characters only; then first three words were being generally searched by yahoo with supporting topics. Then you will have to select the topic of your choice. It is sometimes quite time consuming.

Quite good but maybe there are still procedures more effective for a yahoo search.

Thanks and we`ll have to wait for other ideas on this.
  • vetofunk
  • A SEO GUY
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Chicago

Post 3+ Months Ago

There really isn't any rule for the length of the description. I have used short descriptions and very long descriptions, just make sure each description describes that page and each page's description is unique.

Search engines are not going to always use your description in the serps. Depending on the search engine, they may use a snippet of text from your site, the DMOZ Directory description (and title in some cases) or with Yahoo, the Yahoo Directory description.
  • Rajesh8
  • Student
  • Student
  • Rajesh8

Post 3+ Months Ago

Dear krynnmaliki I never heard that search disclose their algorithm to anyone so do not think that search engine wants 200 chars.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 5 posts