DMOZ...how long until I get accepted?

• homer simpson
  • Student
  • Student
  • homer simpson

Post 3+ Months Ago

How long, on average, does it take to get accepted on DMOZ?
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• musik
  • Legend
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: up a tree

Post 3+ Months Ago

I dont know for sure, I submitted sites to them ages ago and still they don't show up, same as Yahoo....
  • RichB
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Boston

Post 3+ Months Ago

Since DMOZ uses volunteers to edit its categories and different people edit different categories the overall average would probably be about as useful as a statistic like "the average couple has 1.6 children." An overall average might be useful to the people who run DMOZ, but it wouldn't be very helpful in determining how long a particular submission will take.

It all depends on the particular category you've submitted to and how often the editor has time to review sites for inclusion, so although there may be an overall average it wouldn't tell you much about how long you would have to wait. I would just submit and then forget about it.

DMOZ is really just one potential link among many. Some of the category pages have good Page Ranks on Google, so it's worth a try at submitting, but I wouldn't be too concerned about it. I didn't notice any great jump in page rank or traffic on my own site after I got in.
  • UNFLUX
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: twitter.com/unflux

Post 3+ Months Ago

If you lived in Washington area, Bigwebmaster could add you himself ;)
  • Thanol
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Thanol

Post 3+ Months Ago

It can take a day to a year it depends how often the editors visit your neck of the woods. If you've been waiting for over a month or 2 then try going to http://www.resource-zone.com to ask to see the status of your submission. It won't get your site listed faster if you ask, though.
  • pompei
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • pompei

Post 3+ Months Ago

Wow, thanks for the link to resource-zone.com, I didn't realize they had a forum up! How long has that been available? That's incredibly useful, thanks!
  • Marcus
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Loc: NYC

Post 3+ Months Ago

Before one could submits to a specific topic, one needs to know what topic to submit it to.

my questions are...

1. What if the category doesnt have an editor?

2. Where would one put or list a domain if that domain didn't really have a clear place to put it.

for instance, snuka.com is a broad webmaster directory and search engine, so where would be the best place to list something like that?

when I put webmaster directory in dmoz.org looking for a place to submit a webmaster directory I get the following....

Computers: Internet: Web Design and Development: Authoring: Webmaster Resources (12 matches)

Computers: Internet: Web Design and Development: Authoring: Directories: W (6)

Computers: Programming: Internet: Directories (3)

Computers: Internet: Web Design and Development: Hosted Components and Services (3)

Recreation: Humor: Directories

None of these seem to be a clear or good place to list the new webmaster directory? so what would u recommend?

I know this is SLIGHTLY off topic, but the focus of this discussion is how long it takes, and I am asking an even more focused question about how long does it take?

How long does it take to have a new category created? How long does it take to get listed in a category that already exists and HAS NO editor listed??

if dmoz.org is an importan root of google.com than inquiring minds want to know!!

:)

:P :D 8) :lol: :!: :bigsmurf: :rabbit: :greenmonster:
  • Bompa
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Philippine Islands

Post 3+ Months Ago

Marcus wrote:
I know this is SLIGHTLY off topic, but the focus of this discussion is how long it takes, and I am asking an even more focused question about how long does it take?

How long does it take to have a new category created? How long does it take to get listed in a category that already exists and HAS NO editor listed??

if dmoz.org is an importan root of google.com than inquiring minds want to know!!

I think your question is valid here.

I think if a category has no editor, it's actually the editor one level up
that would handle it.

The overall answer is months and months because the volunteer
editors are mostly a bunch of lazy, dirty rotten scou.... Ooops,
sorry Big.

I don't think dmoz is an "important root" of Google, in fact, as I've
stated before, over 80% of the sites in the top 100 for my keyword
phrase are not listed in dmoz.

For the keywords "health insurance", 60% of the top 100 are not listed in dmoz.

You can check your own keywords just by looking at the search results.
If the description has a "Category:" line near the bottom of it such as:

Category: Business > Financial Services > ... > Specialty > Animal...

Then is is listed in dmoz.

If everyone on this forum would take the 15 minutes to investigate this,
instead of blindly believing what they read, and post their findings
here, we could compile the results and have some real facts which
would end this damn rumor!
:evil:

Bompa
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin
  • Loc: Seattle, WA & Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

Bompa wrote:
that would handle it.

Yes that is true, I can confirm that. If a category does not have an editor, any editors belonging to a level above that category would have the rights to add/edit/delete sites from that category. Even in my category every now and then a higher level editor will make edits or additions in the ones I run.

Bompa wrote:
The overall answer is months and months because the volunteer
editors are mostly a bunch of lazy, dirty rotten scou.... Ooops,
sorry Big.

:rofl: It is true there are many editors who are lazy and are way behind in their categories. Just so you know, I am completely caught up in my category and when anybody submits to mine I usually get them added within a few days if I approve of it. I do get junk submissions every now and then, or submissions of sites which already belong in another category in DMOZ. Those sites will always be most likely be deleted.

Bompa wrote:
I don't think dmoz is an "important root" of Google, in fact, as I've
stated before, over 80% of the sites in the top 100 for my keyword
phrase are not listed in dmoz.

I would agree with you Bompa. I think Google treats DMOZ like any other site with a PageRank. It may appear to some people that they get listed faster or better if they are in DMOZ, but the fact is that Google probably visits DMOZ often because usually higher PR sites get indexed faster. With this in mind it would make sense that Google might find your link faster. In my opinion being listed in DMOZ would just count as another backlink, and depending on the PR of the page linking to you from DMOZ, it could affect some sites better than others.
  • CazpianXI
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

I tried submitting my site about half a year ago, and it hasn't been listed yet. Then, I heard that your chances of being listed are increased if you become an editor, so I applied to become an editor... but same story: they never got back to me.

Does Dmoz take ages to do anything?
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin
  • Loc: Seattle, WA & Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

It simply depends CWP. Some editors only update their links once every few months while others are right on it. Getting accepted as an editor in DMOZ isn't the easiest thing, you just have to stay focussed and determined. My recommendation to you if you want to become an editor in DMOZ is to submit an application to become an editor of your city you live in which is located in the Regional category. Chances are if you live in a small city, there will not be an editor. You will have high chances to become an editor if you submit an application in a very low category. Once you are accepted then you can prove yourself to other DMOZ editors how good you edit, add, and remove sites, and how well you stick to DMOZ policies and rules. Once you have proven yourself here then you could start applying for other categories and work yourself up the chain. If you submit to become an editor of a large category right away, there is about a 99.9% chance you will be rejected.
  • Bompa
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Philippine Islands

Post 3+ Months Ago

Bigwebmaster wrote:
If you submit to become an editor of a large category right away, there is about a 99.9% chance you will be rejected.

Are dmoz editors allowed to put ummm... "dmoz editor" in their
forum signatures and other such things?

Also, do dmoz editors ever recommend people for editor postions?
  • paulk
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • paulk
  • Loc: Boston

Post 3+ Months Ago

had no luck getting listed in dmoz
  • john5269
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • john5269

Post 3+ Months Ago

I added my site to Dmoz about 1 & 1/2 years ago and I'm still not listed yet.

In fact, when I first added a listing, I waited for about 3 months, I did not get listed so I added another listing just incase I did the first listing wrong.

I then asked someone in another forum why I haven't been listed and he told me that you added two listings to Dmoz which I already new. He then said that one has been deleted and the other has been moved to another category within Dmoz. He also mentioned that the listing is still in the list of sites to be approved under that category.

So I guess I will have to just wait. How long, I don't know, but it wouldn't be surprized if it would be another year or two.
  • Buster
  • Student
  • Student
  • Buster

Post 3+ Months Ago

I know this topic has sort of died a death :twisted: but it is worth mentioning this for future users:

Quote:
that would handle it.

Yes that is true, I can confirm that. If a category does not have an editor, any editors belonging to a level above that category would have the rights to add/edit/delete sites from that category. Even in my category every now and then a higher level editor will make edits or additions in the ones I run.

Although editors in the higher up level can edit below them it is worth mentioning that they are NOT necessarily the ones who will actually process the submission. There are 'loads' of editors who can edit anywhere in the directory and who take great pleasure in dealing with backlogged categories. So, they can wake up one morning, see a cat needing some work, and dive right in!

So yes, although it is possible that an editor 'just above' may process the submission, it is also just as likely that they wont be the ones.
  • jfvb1225
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Ohio

Post 3+ Months Ago

That was my huge worry in another post. Getting rejected completely for submitting too much. Maybe the new forum will help solve that problem, but I have to think giving editors who are already backlogged something else to do isnt in my best interest. I submitted to the directory where my closest business competitor is located, wrote that path down so Ill remember, and Im not touching it again.
  • Buster
  • Student
  • Student
  • Buster

Post 3+ Months Ago

jfvb1225 wrote:
Maybe the new forum will help solve that problem, but I have to think giving editors who are already backlogged something else to do isnt in my best interest.

If only more webmasters thought this logically. The more people submit - the more editors have to 'dig' though to get to the 'real' sites. Often by the time they have sorted through all the duplicates they have used up all the time they was going to put in for the day.

The forum allows submitters to check on a monthly basis on the status of their submission but please do read the forum guidelines within the Submission Status section so that the request is formatted in a way that an editor has all the info to check. It is also worth remembering that certain parts of the directory are spam magnets and sometimes 3 months between checks would be sensible.

If you did not already know the site in your signature was recently added within http://dmoz.org/Regional/North_America/ ... d_Economy/ I take it that is good news for you??
  • jfvb1225
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Ohio

Post 3+ Months Ago

No *plum* really? I didnt know that. Dude, you just made my day! :D

Thank you very kindly, Mr. or Ms. DMOZ editor. I hope I didnt bother you too much, please excuse all my previous ranting and muttering. :)
  • vietgamer
  • Born
  • Born
  • vietgamer

Post 3+ Months Ago

I hope I will get list in DMOZ anytime soon, but the problem is that I submitted twice to two different categories.. I hope I didn't cost any trouble to get rejected. Do you get any confirmations from DMOZ after you get listed?
  • Buster
  • Student
  • Student
  • Buster

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
but the problem is that I submitted twice to two different categories.. I hope I didn't cost any trouble to get rejected.

Don't worry. A few misplaced submissions are not going to cause any sort of rejection. Sites are not assessed on the basis of 'Let look for a silly reason to turn this site down'. The worst that is likely to happen is that it takes longer for a review while the submission gets pushed to the correct category.

As for confirmation I am afraid that no onfirmation is sent concerning acceptal or rejection. The only way at check is at http://www.resource-zone.com Be sure to post in the Submission Status thread and remember to read the post with the forum guidelines as it explains how to format a status request.
  • madmonk
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • madmonk
  • Loc: australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

any guess on how long its gonna take for a travel site to be added... ? lol.
  • vetofunk
  • A SEO GUY
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Chicago

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
The forum allows submitters to check on a monthly basis on the status of their submission but please do read the forum guidelines within the Submission Status section so that the request is formatted in a way that an editor has all the info to check.

I thought it was every 6 months now?
  • Buster
  • Student
  • Student
  • Buster

Post 3+ Months Ago

Indeed.

It is anytime after a month following the last submission and then at 6 monthly intervals.

Don't know what I was thinking when I wrote that :oops:

<added> I know.... that was posted before the rules changed :) </added>

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 23 posts