dmoz submission category

• ejastegall
  • ejastegall

Post 3+ Months Ago

I just submitted my site: Magnolia By Owner to this category Top: Regional: North America: United States: Mississippi: Business and Economy: Real Estate

Is this the correct category or should I be more specific on the locality?

Also do you think it will be accepted?
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• darksat
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: London (via the rest of the world)

Post 3+ Months Ago

That should do.
  • Buster
  • Student
  • Student
  • Buster

Post 3+ Months Ago

It was rejeted from Shopping/Classifieds/Real_Estate for lack of content.

I think that it mayhave to wait a while or listing as it is still a site that needs to grow by way of registered property etc.

http://www.magnoliabyowner.com/jsp?Comm ... OpenHouses is still blank and the property list is a bit thin.

I would suggest leaving the submission as is and concentrate in populating the site some more and preferably before the regional review takes place.

Good luck!
  • madmonk
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • madmonk
  • Loc: australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

hmm. I have wanting to be a dmoz editor.
but have no idea which category to go for so far...

Whats the requirements?
  • Buster
  • Student
  • Student
  • Buster

Post 3+ Months Ago

I would recommend that anyone considering to apply for editorship should start off by applying for their location (or a subcategory of) within the regional branch of the directory.

Of course you don't have to apply in the regional but wherever you apply try and pick a category which is unlikely to be a spam magnet and has about 50 odd sites. Remember also that what you see on the surface may not be a true picture of what lies underneath. For instance a category may only have 20 sites listed but may have 100 sites waiting to be reviewed. This would be considered to large an undertaking for an editor to start as there is a lot to learn.

Believe me when I say that waiting for submissions, looking at them and listing them (or not) is far from all that goes on. I cannot stress enough how them particular tasks can end up being the ones you do the least as you gain experience.

Now that I can edit in a large chunk of the directory I prefer finding mirrors, and other quality control issues. As a result I don't review that many sites of late (but that is 100% my own choice).

You can find some good reading at http://resource-zone.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1289 There is also some of the older newsletters on public view which may give a little insight http://dmoz.org/newsletter/
  • ejastegall
  • ejastegall

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks for the insite Buster. I guess I was so pumped about my site that I didn't even take into consideration that it is still very new and has only a few listings.
  • Buster
  • Student
  • Student
  • Buster

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
I guess I was so pumped

Something that comes naturally to all of us. When we get a present we 'need' to open it. Likewise when we have put a lot of work into achieving something we want others to see it.

A bit if a catch 22 but most people get there in the end. I am in the same boat with a site I have just started. I can even edit in the category it belongs bit needless to say I will not be listing it.

I am concentrating at the moment at trying to add at least 3 FULL pages of extra content per day, making the odd changes to existing pages and getting backlinks. On a hobby site I started 2 years ago this worked wonders and made google very very hungry and return visits where at least once per day. The site only that started off with about 30 pages. Now it is about 300 pages google seems to have moved in even thought I hardly maintain it these days (once per month at the most).
  • madmonk
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • madmonk
  • Loc: australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks for the feedback.
  • Marcus Anthony
  • Born
  • Born
  • Marcus Anthony
  • Loc: Blackpool, Lancashire, England, UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi this one;s for you Buster as you are in a privalaged poition as a DMOZ editer.

Could you take a look at a category for me, as it is in a poor state, and give me your comments. Bellow is a post that I wrote on resource-zone.

Hi ****
I was hoping you could clarify a couple of things for me. The reason for the first question is that I have just read one of your posts where you mention that all website's waiting review are not held in any date (submitted) order, in fact you refer to them as all being in a large pool, is this true? If it is then it leaves demos wide open to abuse as shown bellow.

I would also like you to look into, or pass on the following.

The state of the category I am trying to get listed in:

http://dmoz.org/Regional/Europe/Uni...ls/Consumables/

And the fact that there are several websites listed that don’to exist anymore, have dead links, or are obvious entrance pages, I have included examples bellow:

1\ Oink-Oink - Cartridge, paper and refill product information with online purchasing and contact addresses.

2\ Inkspeed Printer Consumables - Online sales of inkjet and laser office supplies. Details of product range and ordering details. Based in Cumbria.

3\ Inkjets-r-us - Epson Stylus compatible Inkjet ink cartridges and CD writer media

4\ Inkjetathome - Sales of inkjet consumables and printer paper.

5\ Design Media Supplies Ltd - Supplier of inkjet media and compatible cartridges

And because you mentioned entrance pages in one of your previous replies I thought I should bring these to your attention:

"Inkjet Online - Provider of inkjet cartridges and refills, paper, CD-ras and laser cartridges."

One of many entrance pages to this site that I have seen and a pretty obvious one I would of thought.

Here’s another one:

"Inkjet Cartridges UK - Inkjet and laser toner cartridges for most popular make and models of printers"

I SMELL A RAT. Its obvious to me we have one of our competitors editing this category.

I would be very interested in your comments as to why this category is in such a bad state and how can it be obviously abused so openly.

And if you get time could you please please take a look at http://www.inkmasters.co.uk/ which has been waiting to be reviewed for some time now.

Thanks
Marcus.
  • Buster
  • Student
  • Student
  • Buster

Post 3+ Months Ago

I am not sure what you want me to say but I just found and read a reply made by a fellow editor who I think sums it up pretty much as it is. Some industries seem to thrive on selling products via affilaite type stores and this seem to be one of them.

It is highly likely that a number of sites listed, eg Company A, have never touched an ink cartridge in their lives but instead the orders go directly to company X who send out the goods directly. We don't want to list company A when instead we could list company X and miss out all the middle men.

This looks like one of them areas where this behaviour happens a lot and, lke the editor mentioned, they can be hard to spot and each site probably needs a good 1/2 hour review and and a fair bit of investigation (yes we do a lot of investigating) to be sure it is bona-fide.

It looks like the problem listings you mention are being looked at and they appear to be being worked through to filter out any junk that appeared to have slipped through the net. I am not able to tell however how far down the list he/she is though but it looks like they are keeping the promise they made.

Good luck with the listing. I hope this answer your question but if not just shout.
  • Marcus Anthony
  • Born
  • Born
  • Marcus Anthony
  • Loc: Blackpool, Lancashire, England, UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks a lot buster, its nice to know there are DMOZ editers that care.

Marcus :)

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 11 posts