Does dmoz, yahoo listing really help

• amitoverseas40
  • Born
  • Born
  • amitoverseas40

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hello Everyone,

Just wanted to ask if DMOZ or yahoo directory listing really helps in ranking or links are sufficient?

thanks
  • Puneet Thakkar
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yes offcourse....DMOZ and Yahoo directory listing really helps in ranking, links and get more visitors too from it..

but its very difficult to get listed in those directories...

Regards
Puneet M
  • vetofunk
  • A SEO GUY
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Chicago

Post 3+ Months Ago

Do a search for my numerous threads/posts on how helpful they really are. Must be a few dozen ;-)
  • vetofunk
  • A SEO GUY
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Puneet Thakkar wrote:
Yes offcourse....DMOZ and Yahoo directory listing really helps in ranking, links and get more visitors too from it..

but its very difficult to get listed in those directories...

Regards
Puneet M

DMOZ can be difficult. The Yahoo Directory is easy...just fork over the $299.00 and your included within a few days.
  • BenS
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • BenS

Post 3+ Months Ago

Submitting your site to directories such as DMOZ & Yahoo! do help. For instance backlinks - search engines index your site depending on the backlinks you have. So submitting to those directories (and even small directories) help.
  • poshgirl
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • poshgirl
  • Loc: calif

Post 3+ Months Ago

I can tell you from experience DMOZ does not matter at all. Forget them altogether. I'm #1 for all of my VERY competitive key words and DMOZ would not list my site. My experience with them was terrible. They are abusive & totally unprofessional. I understand getting jaded & a bit tired of dealing with the public but they're just ridiculous.

I learned about SEO from this forum a few years ago when I was not even listed in any search engine. Now I'm on all of them on the top and not on DMOZ. A friend of mine had the same experience. eolivia.com, not in DMOZ but on top for her keywords. Traffic is the only thing that matters. 90% of my traffic goes to my dresses section so the keywords "Dresses" or "dress" got me listed on top because my tags had those keywords in them. I don't even trade links anymore. Waist of time for me.

I am in Yahoo and it is worth it to pay the $300 to get in the directory until you get established. Also, advertising traditionally is key.
  • lajocar
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: South Africa

Post 3+ Months Ago

Off course DMOZ and Yahoo will boost your traffic plus you will get quality links back.

Like Vetofunk said that it is very difficult to get into DMOZ. It can take anywhere from a few weeks to years.

Yahoo you will just need to pay a annual fee of $299

I also agree with poshgirl that with SEO you can also get good results without being listed in the search engines.

:)
  • butternyk
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • butternyk

Post 3+ Months Ago

they boost ur ranks --but u need to do basic things as well.
  • webcosmo
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Loc: Boston, USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Lot of companies uses the directory list from DMOZ, or Yahoo. You can get listed on Yahoo easily since its paid. Getting listed on yahoo helps getting traffic from google too as its said, since google sees it your site as "reviewed by trustworthy source".
Getting listed on DMoz is almost impossible. If you know somebody, or if you can become a moderator, you can probably list your site yourself. And it does pay off of course.
  • Artifexus
  • Artifexus

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
Just wanted to ask if DMOZ or yahoo directory listing really helps in ranking or links are sufficient?

I have been reading more and more, usually from forum posters, that DMOZ has become largely irrelevant. I think at this point it's a large directory that is extremely hard to get in to and so it is probably time better spent working on other backlinks. As mentioned, if you know someone who can get you in, great, but otherwise follow one of these two rules I see mentioned frequently:

Submit & Forget

Forget to Submit

You certainly don't need it to rank well, but all links help.

Also, you might be interested in a recent post at shoemoney: http://www.shoemoney.com/2007/08/26/dmoz-extortion
  • vetofunk
  • A SEO GUY
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well I still think DMOZ is very important. Google still uses it for their directory (dir.google.com) and they even say in their guidelines to get listed there (http://www.google.com/support/webmaster ... swer=35769).

As for submit it and forget it, your correct. But, do some research before submitting and forgetting.

- Find out what categories your competitors are listed in.
- Does the category have an editor?
- When was the last time the category was updated?

These are all things you can easily find out to help you make your final decision on where to submit your site to.
  • Artifexus
  • Artifexus

Post 3+ Months Ago

Vetofunk,

RE: Google using it as their directory

I thought I read that google's mirror of DMOZ isn't being updated anymore.

In other words, they've stopped trusting it (unless I'm wrong).

And why oh why would google use a mirror of anything?

It's mind bottling.
  • vetofunk
  • A SEO GUY
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Artifexus wrote:
Vetofunk,

RE: Google using it as their directory

I thought I read that google's mirror of DMOZ isn't being updated anymore.

In other words, they've stopped trusting it (unless I'm wrong).

And why oh why would google use a mirror of anything?

It's mind bottling.

For a while, yes Google didn't mirror it, but I think it was because the big server issue DMOZ had at the end of last year. Supposely, they just mirrored it though very recently.

And why they do it?...I think it helps google categorize sites as well as helping it find reputable sites vs. spamming sites.
  • aira
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • aira

Post 3+ Months Ago

amitoverseas40 wrote:

Being listed at these two major directory is a way of getting good rankings and traffic but... it really takes time to get into it..
  • codesecret
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • codesecret

Post 3+ Months Ago

yes I have also used DMOZ listing...Its really very useful...You get the sites alphabetically as well as numerically...its really very gud source of gathering information..
  • Artifexus
  • Artifexus

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
For a while, yes Google didn't mirror it, but I think it was because the big server issue DMOZ had at the end of last year. Supposely, they just mirrored it though very recently.

Ok, good to know, thanks.

Quote:
And why they do it?...I think it helps google categorize sites as well as helping it find reputable sites vs. spamming sites.

They could do that without mirroring it. I just find it a little interesting that duplicate content is 'penalized' by Google...unless you're Google.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=directory
  • x3mario
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • x3mario

Post 3+ Months Ago

DMOZ and Yahoo really helps in your site traffic but the question is, how soon is your site will be listed on that directory.
  • weblaunchphxx
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

Getting listed in DMOZ is really helpful.
  • zhaira
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • zhaira

Post 3+ Months Ago

dmoz and yahoo listing is very useful for a site if it is approved. it is not easy to be listed in dmoz and takes a months before it was approved. It help improved ranking for your site.
  • Steven D
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Steven D

Post 3+ Months Ago

that shoe money post is absolutely classic. pay me or gtfo.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 20 posts