Dogpile.com search engine?

• Tom the Great
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: B.C., Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

My dad and I were having a conversation about google and dogpile, he thinks dogpile is the search engine god (even though it just uses search results from different search engines, including google) I disagree...

htttp://dogpile.com
Dogpile has changed a lot since the first time I used it (I guess for the better), now it's becoming more and more like google. It used to be pretty unique and would have a listing of popular searches related to your search (example: if you searched "ford car," in the listing it might have "ford mustang car")

So what do you think of dogpile.com? It would be better if you reviewed it byitself, and then reviewed it comparing with others, because I don't want to hear "that search engine sucks, yahoo.com for life."

BTW, does anybody have any information about google charging people for higher ranks and/or top spots in search results? My dad said you could buy your rank and pay money to google to be at the top spot for a search, and that you could find it through goggle's advertising options... But I couldn't find anything.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• vetofunk
  • A SEO GUY
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Chicago

Post 3+ Months Ago

that search engine sucks, yahoo.com for life!

JK

I havent used dogpile for a long time and usually stick with google to search. I do see that they have a metsearch and search for the different engines. I guess this can be useful to some people, just not something I look at, I guess seo has made me search a certain way.

As for paying for high rankings in the free serps, never has happened and never gonna happen. If he sees anything, its about paying more to get higher positioning in the paid advertisements, google adwords.
  • eCommando
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • eCommando
  • Loc: California, USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

These days, it's between Google and Yahoo. They are almost neck to neck. Most SEOs concentrate on Google though.

I think what you are talking about is AdWord; you have to pay to get your site listed. On Yahoo, Overture results show up on top as sponsored listing also.
  • disgust
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • disgust

Post 3+ Months Ago

your dad my have confused indirect placement guarantees, too.

ie SEO companies promising a certain spot.

I use google for everything usually, altavista if I can't find it on google (their image search really beats google's).
  • vetofunk
  • A SEO GUY
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Chicago

Post 3+ Months Ago

You know Altavista just shows Yahoo listings.
  • jlknauff
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

eCommando wrote:
These days, it's between Google and Yahoo. They are almost neck to neck. Most SEOs concentrate on Google though.

I think what you are talking about is AdWord; you have to pay to get your site listed. On Yahoo, Overture results show up on top as sponsored listing also.

True-39.4% of searches come through Google (plus another 15.5% for AOL which is powered by Google), and 30.4 through Yahoo. MSN gets a pretty big chunk of what's left over.
  • virtualwebc
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I am by far a true fan of Yahoo. To me and maybe only me Yahoo is by far the cleanest look. When searching Image files I like the lay out the best.

Here is another vote for YAHOO!
  • whidave
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • whidave

Post 3+ Months Ago

Speaking of DogPile i was just looking at Prices and man They Cost a LOT! Have a Look...

Step 1: Enter Web
Sites http://www.webhostsinfo.com $99.95
10 Sub-Addresses
1 year listing

Sub-Total $99.95

Step 2: Target
More
Searchers Guaranteed Listing on the
Search Partner Network. $49.98
Sub-Total $49.98

Step 3: Select Results Tracking $99.95
Reporting Titles and Descriptions $89.95
Options Advanced Reporting. $79.95
Sub-Total $269.85

Step 4: Checkout Declined 24 hour rapid
listing response. $0.00
Sub-Total $0.00

Tax $0.00

Total $419.78

Dave
  • mr_avril
  • Born
  • Born
  • mr_avril

Post 3+ Months Ago

Is anyone know Dogpile.com source code?

i want to build a web site that do the same as Dogpile.com (excluding the fancy features..)

so it would be helpful if anyone can show me the codings or links that shows the source code for such web site.

thanks
  • darksat
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: London (via the rest of the world)

Post 3+ Months Ago

I quite like the new breed of engines like killerinfo and icerocket.

dogpile is a pile of dog ????
yahoo is OK
Google is OK
MSN isnt that impressive
altavistas image/media searches are very good.

as for source code to a search engine, i would like that as well.
  • Jade456
  • Student
  • Student
  • Loc: Las Vegas

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yahoo sucks unless you love spam. For our market, the top twenty Yahoo results are full of black hat sites. Old school stuff too. Doorway pages, cloaked, hidden text, spammy tags, you name it, its there. I think MSN should concentrate on beating Yahoo, not google. They would have a better chance at getting a bigger market share that way.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 11 posts