Dsl Problem

• Shocker12
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Shocker12

Post 3+ Months Ago

hey guys, do yall know why my dsl is strangely slow with my ibm t30 laptop i bought. my desktop seems to run just fine. i think its the router(d link 604 ) or the lappy. i hope its not the lappy.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Ted
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Ted
  • Loc: Victoria, BC, Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

The most probable cause of any single computer being slow it that the Half/Full-Duplex setting is wrong on the computer. There is a protocol that should allow cards to auto-configure, but it isn't that reliable and manual settings are often more successful.

The "Rules"
If your computer connects to a Switch, try forcing the network card in the computer to Full-Duplex at the highest speed for the switch (probably 100mb/s)

If your computer connects to a Hub, try forcing the network card in the computer to Half-duplex at the maximum speed of the hub.

Do not mix Hubs and Switches in a network because you end up with a half-full duplex problem between them and, unless you have commercial class switches, can't resolve it.

The Reasons
Still asking "huh??" ...?

A switch has a number of ports that feed into buffers, and packets come in one port, get shifted to one other port, and sent back out. So a switch makes a dynamic connection between two ports based one where data is coming in and going to. It operates in Full-duplex, so it can receive data that comes in port 1 that is going out port 2 (as an example) at the same time a data comes in port three that is sent out port 1.

A hub uses a bus; all the computers use the same bus to send and receive and there is nothing in the hub to sort it out; when data comes into port 1, it goes out at the same time on all the ports, including port 1. This means the computer connected to hub must do two things it does not need to do on a switch (and these define Half-Duplex):

1. While a computer is talking to a hub, it must wait until the network (what is coming out of the hub) is quiet before talking to avoid collisions. Port 1's computer can't talk to port 2's computer while port 3's computer is also talking to port 1 using a hub.

2. While a computer is talking to a hub, it must ignore data on the network -- it shouldn't be listening to itself, after all.

When Bad Duplex happens to Good Computers
If a computer is in full-duplex on a hub, it will tend to talk over top of everyone else on the network, this causes a lot of collisions and everyone gets slow.

If a computer is half-duplex on a switch, it will tend to ignore other computers that talk while it is talking and/or assume that being interrupted by someone else talking means there was a collision and it should resend the data. Either way, the one computer will be slow.

Ted
  • Shocker12
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Shocker12

Post 3+ Months Ago

so how do i force my laptop to do that thing? i am running a wired router
  • Shocker12
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Shocker12

Post 3+ Months Ago

how do i change to full/ half duplex?
  • Shocker12
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Shocker12

Post 3+ Months Ago

i changed it to full duplex 100mbps. its faster but not what it should be at. im useing a wired d link 604
  • Ted
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Ted
  • Loc: Victoria, BC, Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

Shocker12 wrote:
i changed it to full duplex 100mbps. its faster but not what it should be at. im useing a wired d link 604

Check which computer actually has better speed using a "large file download" of, for example, a file that takes about 2 mins for the fastest computer to get -- this is a sustained load and should give you a reasonable idea of how long it takes and resported bandwidth.

Can you put a PCMCIA card into the laptop and see if it performs better than the built in ont -- IBM cards have, in my experience, pretty sad performance on 100MB networks.

can you change which ports on the router your computers are plugged into? Somtimes the hardware has a preference to whcih ports you use.

Try turning your computers down to 10Mb/s and see how they do. You may be overloading the Router switch since it was really designed to do just 1-5Mb/s.

Can you put a second switch in your network so that internal traffic is across one, and the router only handles a single wire going out to the net.

Ted
  • wobseek
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • wobseek

Post 3+ Months Ago

maybe spywares slowing down ur pc
install spybot or adaware to clean ur system

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 7 posts