dynamic vs. static content (affecting search engines)

• frank_tudor
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Loc: Plattsmouth, NE

Post 3+ Months Ago

We have a list of links on our website. the list is like a directory that get our customers a lot of traffic.

The company asked me to add a randomization element to the page and I have done this with coldfusion.

So basically the list is all in a database and is queried and randomized to the page. Every time you refresh the page it changes up the list, but everyone is populated each time.

my boss had a concern that the site would lose out with the search engines because it is dynamic content.

Can anyone tell me if this will be the case?

Thanks,
Frank
  • BillW
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Loc: Redondo Beach, Ca.

Post 3+ Months Ago

I would think dynamic content would be viewed by the SE's as being fresh. I have read on this forum and others that they look favorably on fresh content and it should get your site visited more frequently.
  • Greatone
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Greatone

Post 3+ Months Ago

BillW wrote:
I would think dynamic content would be viewed by the SE's as being fresh. I have read on this forum and others that they look favorably on fresh content and it should get your site visited more frequently.

I agree but I think randomized content has also a bad side.

Imagine what will happen if http://www.domain.com/index.html is already ranked number one for the term “car” for example in google.com and the content and targeted keyword was revised to “engine” on the second visit of the google robot because of it’s randomizing capability. That will surely affect its current SE rank right?
  • BillW
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Loc: Redondo Beach, Ca.

Post 3+ Months Ago

This may be true where it affects on-page optimization factors, which don't seem to carry as much weight as off-page factors like inbound links.

Example: A search for "news" in Google returns FoxNews and CNN as the top two rusults. The content of those pages changes every day.

Allinanchor and Allintitle for "news" shows these two sites as being the top two as well.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 4 posts