example pages - allow indexing or not?

• rtm223
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Uk

Post 3+ Months Ago

On my site I have example pages to go with my tutorials. These examples are just stripped down layouts with some lorem ipsum on them, there is no content and no linkage on them. For example:

http://www.caffeinefuelled.net/examples/01/05.htm
http://www.caffeinefuelled.net/examples/yinyang/

At the moment I have them dissallowed using robots.txt (the entire /examples/ folder is disallowed), because I don't really want them getting indexed. But I was wondering if there would be some benefit in allowing SE's to visit and then adding links from these pages back to the tutorials and/or back to the site home? If I were to do this, would I need to add some real writing/title tags etc on the pages to give them some relevancy as backlinks?

Or should I just leave it all as it is, with the disallow rule.

FYI, I've got about 35 of these example pages at the moment, and for each tutorial I add, I'm adding between 3-6 eg pages. Would adding this many essentially useless pages do me any harm?

Any comments welcomed.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• phaugh
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

I don't think it will hurt you...but the effort to set them up may not benefit you all that much. How far from the site entrance are the pages located...this would be my determining factor. If they are close they will get good PR which in turn will make any relevant links woth the effort.
  • rtm223
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Uk

Post 3+ Months Ago

phaugh wrote:
I don't think it will hurt you...but the effort to set them up may not benefit you all that much.

That was the main reason for not not bothering lol.

Quote:
How far from the site entrance are the pages located...this would be my determining factor.

Um, some are two clicks, others are three. In the future, some of them might be four, but that would not be many.

Would it make any difference if I left them with lipsum, because just adding the links wouldn't be too bad, it's the modification of content, so that it is relevant to users as well as SE's, that seems like the hard work.
  • Johan007
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Aldershot, UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

rtm223 wrote:
it's the modification of content, so that it is relevant to users as well as SE's, that seems like the hard work.

Design on page elements and link structure for users. I would disallow thoughs pages you dont want shown and I would disallow that Greek text.

...though I know in the end you would have done all this without me saying so :wink:

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 4 posts