Do Forum signature links really work?

• BradPitt
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • BradPitt

Post 3+ Months Ago

As I heard from beginning, signiture links in forums helps to improve link popularity...
I haven't added the link anywhere except on forum sign and when I searched for the links there have been no link results...
So I was wondering whether these links help or does it take time for them to appear?
  • zhouyi
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: China

Post 3+ Months Ago

Of course, it works. When you post links in powerful forums, and when you post valuable posts.
Better make good use of it,and take care of spamming.I'd like to do advertising for my site too.But really hate spammer,anyway.
Good luck,BradPitt.
  • Jenie0109
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hey it works for me too. Forum posting is one way of getting backlinks for your site.
  • blueray11
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • blueray11

Post 3+ Months Ago

Forums sig is really work in a way of improving of link popularity, it gives more backlink to your site.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

In some cases, forum owners add "nofollow" to the links, so spiders will not crawl them. OZZU is one such forum. Not all forums do that though. In those cases where "nofollow" is in place, you will not get backlinks so all the hogwash about link popularity is out the door on that one.

Even if they are "nofollow" forum signatures can be very beneficial. My signature is on over 20,000 posts here and even though it isn't indexed by the search engines, OZZU has long been my best referrer for both links in my signature.

When you are an active participant in a forum, friendly and helpful, people do notice you and visit your websites.
  • spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member
  • Loc: Seattle, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

ATNO/TW wrote:
When you are an active participant in a forum, friendly and helpful, people do notice you and visit your websites.

On the flip side, if all you do is make useless posts to increase your post count, no one feels compelled to visit the sites in your signature. Additionally, this behavior often raises a red flag to moderators and is likely to result in your signature being removed.
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

Here are the stats (via Google Analytics) for the Picksel link in my signature from January 1st 2009 to April 21st 2009. (111 days)

Code: [ Select ]
source: ozzu.com
page views: 559
unique page views: 525 (4.7 daily)
avg time on site: 00:02:36
bounce rate: 89.57%
exit %: 87.48%
  1. source: ozzu.com
  2. page views: 559
  3. unique page views: 525 (4.7 daily)
  4. avg time on site: 00:02:36
  5. bounce rate: 89.57%
  6. exit %: 87.48%

The signature is pretty targeted and the destination page is an intermediary page between here and the source code, so I expect the bounce rate to be high.

//Edit -- Better yet, here's the stats going back to August 8th 2008. (257 days)

Code: [ Select ]
source: ozzu.com
page views: 1,135
unique page views: 1,041 (4 daily)
avg time on site: 00:02:17
bounce rate: 87.57%
exit %: 84.23%
  1. source: ozzu.com
  2. page views: 1,135
  3. unique page views: 1,041 (4 daily)
  4. avg time on site: 00:02:17
  5. bounce rate: 87.57%
  6. exit %: 84.23%

I don't remember when I added the Picksel link to my signature, but I'm sure it wasn't the same day I wrote that post and in any event Ozzu still outpaces any other referer to that page by a ratio of roughly 10:1.
  • carazoo
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Loc: Bangalore, Karnataka, India

Post 3+ Months Ago

I believe even if there is a nofollow tag to your signature link, you should use signature links, becoz, the more you post, the more you get visible to others and thus many might get interested and click on your signature link. :-)
  • Himalayan
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: India

Post 3+ Months Ago

Forum signature are the good source of making one way links for the website. A good number of valuable post in forums are definitely helpful.
  • ajp76054
  • Born
  • Born
  • ajp76054

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yes they do work if the forum is sig link friendly. Most are not its a way of blocking spam.
  • karmadir
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • karmadir
  • Loc: India

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yes it works. It helps in increasing back links as well as traffic to your website.

Make Sure you participate in discussion in forums rather than marketing your website product or service.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

karmadir wrote:
Yes it works. It helps in increasing back links as well as traffic to your website.

Make Sure you participate in discussion in forums rather than marketing your website product or service.

Prove it. Did you read what I posted earlier? And lets say a forum doesn't have a nofollow in place and a user like me places 20,000 some odd posts on the forum, so are they going to get backlinked? Don't worry about answering that, because I can tell you before OZZU changed to nofollow, my links here were backlinked but Google changed that algorithm before that even happen and they dropped off the map.

I don't understand those of you that think forum backlinks do anything for you on PR. Can they help your traffic? Yes. for reasons I stated prior. But to think posting redundantly on a forum is going to help you to me is a complete mistake.

Why do you think there are moderators at forums? Moderators are there to stop the kind of spam that exists from people thinking that spamming their crappy sites is going to help them. Geez. Wake up people!
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think Google Webmaster Tools are misleading as far as links go. For instance GWT says I have thousands of "external links" from Ozzu, but if I look at that via "link:domain.com" those links are nowhere to be found.

Something similar happens with another forum I visit. Now, I know Ozzu applies nofollow, but this other forum does not. Same deal, hundereds of external links in GWT, but only a few dozen via "link:domain.com".

On the other hand, with a third forum, I know there isn't any nofollow applied, but links don't show up in GWT, "link:domain", or anywhere else I've ever looked.

Links are strange creatures, it seems impossible to tell for sure what they're going to do until it happens.

Not to mention, the rules are in a whole different book when it comes to search engines other than Google.
  • aikabeatrice
  • Loc: Las Vegas, Nevada

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yes it matters especially when you are posting on your targeted users and it is do-follow.
  • Doctor-tree
  • Doctor-tree

Post 3+ Months Ago

yea forum signatures really do well and can gain traffic too if the forum is very active. many webmaster even purchase sig links on active forums
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

OK so I have to ask the obvious question. How many of you are posting on OZZU to just to get traffic to your site from your signature? Be Honest...

My honest answer to that question is most days I forget I have a signature.
  • Jenie0109
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Honestly, I joined here to learn more about SEO and I got more than what I asked, and the people here are great! I also had fun taking part in discussions. The forum sig is just a bonus side-agenda for me.
  • BlackEyes
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

Forum links helps to generate backlinks and drive traffics for your site..But you must also apply the other link building techniques for your site, not just forum posting..
  • Rehana
  • Born
  • Born
  • Rehana

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yes it helps but be sure you make signature in quality forums websites.

It gets cached soon as well but we need to post quality content and replies.

Thanks
Rehana
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

I was looking through Google Analytics for the site I mentioned earlier and looked into the Adsense stats Analytics includes now.

The signature link I have here at Ozzu appears to be one of the most valuable single sources of traffic as far as Adsense goes. I'm guessing since both sites are technical sites, and someone looking at my signature link is generally going to do so out of curiosity, they're bound to get a highly relevant banner that interests them.

Just some food for thought. :)
  • bermuda
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • bermuda

Post 3+ Months Ago

The forums links could help from both SEO and traffic perspectives but you still are recommended consider using additional methods as well.

In other words more sources could be great instead of only focusing over a single way to drive traffic towards your web pages.
  • stephen186
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • stephen186

Post 3+ Months Ago

What is being said my many friends here is right, i dont see a forum signature just to have a link popularity towards my site. If i post on a high traffic forum , as long as i get my links seen by others , thats a good form of marketing for me. :)
  • peter0611
  • Born
  • Born
  • peter0611

Post 3+ Months Ago

It works for me also. Even it's "nofollow" link for some forums, it will depend upon your answers and the reputation you have on that forum. The reward on this is the chance to click your link.
  • mickeyy
  • Born
  • Born
  • mickeyy

Post 3+ Months Ago

According to me, Signature links are a poor source of links because:

1) The PR they pass is low (look at the sites in the sig links of some of the members here who have > 20,000 posts)
2) The content on the linking page is rarely relevant to your site
3) If you were a search engine and you were assessing a page that had links to debt consolidation sites, web hosting 'review' sites, meds sites - how much value would you give to each link? I'd give next to none.

Traffic is different. Your web stats will shape any opinion you have about that how much traffic sig links bring. They can be a good source of traffic, but they might not be. Among other things, it depends on how you write your sig link, the match between your content and the content in the thread, how click happy your audience is, and the quality of your post.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 24 posts