Good Google Ranking bad in Yahoo and MSN

• beefcakejcc
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • beefcakejcc
  • Loc: Atlanta,GA

Post 3+ Months Ago

For the search phrase "violin lessons" my page http://www.cvls.com/products/VP.html is ranked #4.

When I put the same search into Yahoo and MSN I can't find that page anywhere.

On yahoo when I search for cvls.com and then get the option to click on "more pages from this site" the VP.html page is the 35th of my pages listed. However when I try to search for something that would bring up that page it never does. Just related pages from my site. Does this mean that this one specific page has been banned? Does it mean that it's not indexed even though it's listed as another page from my site?

Any ideas on how to raise one's results in Yahoo or MSN to match where they are in Google in general?
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• vetofunk
  • A SEO GUY
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Chicago

Post 3+ Months Ago

I found the page in Yahoo.
http://search.yahoo.com/search?p=www.cv ... p=mss&tab=

Remember that Yahoo and Google do not have the same algorythms. Do you have a Yahoo Directory listing? I have found that this helps me with Yahoo.

A great tool to use to compare your positioning between different engines is:
http://ranking.thumbshots.com/
  • beefcakejcc
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • beefcakejcc
  • Loc: Atlanta,GA

Post 3+ Months Ago

yeah our site has been listed in Yahoo's directory for four or five years. I was just wondering if their is some basic thing that maybe yahoo or MSN look for that Google doesn't?
  • jlknauff
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

Can anyone tell me why my site won't show up in Yahoo or MSN when I am number 1 in Google?
  • Shawn
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Shawn

Post 3+ Months Ago

My Opinions...

First your keywords are as follows:

Code: [ Select ]
bluegrass, fiddles, fiddle, fiddle tabs, fiddle tablature, fiddle tab, fiddle scales, fiddle instructions, beginning, instruction, fiddle videos, bluegrass videos, lessons, videos, books, tabs, tablature, method, techniques, learning, DVDs

Yet nowhere in there does the exact phrase violin lessons appear. Secondly, Yahoo pays much more attention to on page factors than google does, therefore, I would increase your density for that term on your page.

Also, I have noticed on my sites, yahoo hates 100% density in the titles, so you're probably getting hit by a filter on that...maybe something like:

Violin Lessons - Book with audio CD on Violin Lessons

Or something like that. Overall, your targeting two opposite engines, in my opinion, one listens more to anchor text and backlicks and one listens to more on page optimization. Try to find the balance of both to rank high on both :)

PS, Im far from an expert on this subject, it's just my findings.

Shawn
  • vetofunk
  • A SEO GUY
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

I do not think Yahoo or any other major search engine really even looks at the keyword tag anymore. They have been over abused over the years and are pretty useless.

I have some sites that do the same as your experiencing and some that do the opposite, but most do very well in both. I would caution making to many changes as your positioning in Google could fall. If you really looking to position well in Yahoo, you could use their site match program for the page you are looking for better positioning in. This way you can make changes, then 48 hours later see your results, and then try again, till you have increased your positioning to the place you would like to be. I have been getting alot of top listings from my Yahoo directory listing (i repeat this alot) and I noticed you do not have violin lessons in your description. I would try to request a change to your Yahoo directory listing and tell them you provide this now.
http://add.yahoo.com/fast/change
  • Shawn
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Shawn

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yeah...seems Vetofunk knows more than me..take his advice: )

On that same note.. Vetofunk:

What do you think about the 100% density in title tags with yahoo?
  • vetofunk
  • A SEO GUY
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well I do not have any sites that have a density of 100% in the title. In this im guessing you mean only having your keyword phrase in the title? If so, I would always stay away from that.
  • weburge
  • weburge

Post 3+ Months Ago

I know what you mean.

One of my sites is listing in the top 10 for several keywords in yahoo, but none of those keywords are even in the top 50 on google :?
  • eCommando
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • eCommando
  • Loc: California, USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

How can I get a lot of backlinks to show up on Yahoo? When I ran the link popularity checker from marketleap, i don't see a lot of links from yahoo or msn. On most of my sites, I always see more backlinks show up on Google than from alltheweb or Yahoo.

But I see a lot of other sites with many more links in Yahoo and MSN than on Google.
I have seen some places where you can give feeds to Yahoo search engine. Is that how they are doing it?
  • joker
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • joker

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
bluegrass, fiddles, fiddle, fiddle tabs, fiddle tablature, fiddle tab, fiddle scales, fiddle instructions, beginning, instruction, fiddle videos, bluegrass videos, lessons, videos, books, tabs, tablature, method, techniques, learning, DVDs

Yahoo doesn't take into consideration meta keywords, IMO. You should pay more attention to your internal factors ;)
  • vetofunk
  • A SEO GUY
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yahoo does accept feeds through their Site Match program. I have two clients in which I do this for. This guarantees me that I will have all the pages in the site indexed. It does however cost $0.25 per click, but I do get some good reporting.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 12 posts