A great link

• ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I did a search at OZZU for this and found 400 some-odd results, but didn't see where the following link was "actually" listed (I think the search was picking up on the dot-com part -- when I tried the search without it I got zero results).

For those who want to know as much as they can about search engines, I haven't found a better site yet than this:

http://searchenginewatch.com/
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin
  • Loc: Seattle, WA & Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yeah the search function that is incorporated into PHPBB kind of blows. I need to find a mod that actually makes the search area useful so you can find what you are looking for. Anyway that link you provided definetely has a bunch of good info.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Agreed...If you find the mod please post the link.

I did discover this....It's a bit more convenient when submitting to replies to not type in a subject. It's a bit redundant (and most overlook it anyway), but the thing I discovered is that the "search" function built into phpBB2 seems to key in on subject lines (including replies). So I have begun and will continue to add them to my replies to assist the functionality of search here. I hope others read this and join in.

As a side-note I have discovered in the last few weeks after doing Google searches for a few odds and ends problems that the "high" results actually displayed a link or two to one of my prior posts here at OZZU relative to the problem.

So I think this may be an important thing to note.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

I've been playing with the search here and it appears that if you use "And" and "Or" as they suggest it gives much better results.

As noted it could be much better. Just wanted to toss that out.
  • deadZ
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

hmmm ... maybe if you start a thread in the programming section, some of your readers will develop a new search feature
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Your idea is a good one for sure and would certainly be a challenge.

As some here know I'm in the midst of writing a mod to create an automated sports pool that works with the phpBB member's database. The code used here is pretty intense. I took a look at one of the pages I developed (one that displays the NFL schedule for the year) and realized between all the include files, the template files and the main page it's roughly close to 10,000 lines of code that makes the page display and work with all the phpBB features and security. That doesn't even take into consideration the data entry for the schedule into the database.

What some don't realize is the database here is pretty large. I know my backups currently run in the range of about 1.3 mb and I only have about 40 members. I'm sure this one far surpasses that. I've looked at the pages that make the search feature work, and also the database tables that are used.

Personally, I'll leave it up to the phpBB Group (now I know why it's a group *lol) to improve their search engine in future releases. It's way over my head! (It's also really a tough little problem to write new mods and not screw up the security features of the board. And that needs to be a primary concern of any developer)

OK -- I guess I rambled enough in this post! :D

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 6 posts