How do i get a higher ranking?

• spiderbike
  • Born
  • Born
  • spiderbike

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have been working a website builder, check out the free version at

http://www.mywebpro.co.uk

does anyone know, where i can find similar sites, to link exchange with.

Also any ideas on improving the service would be very helpfull.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• vetofunk
  • A SEO GUY
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Chicago

Post 3+ Months Ago

You could by not spamming please.
  • philgill
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

i agree, be honest and put the work in like the rest of us. If you read a few good articles here you can learn enough to put yourself up near the top of the pile. We're here to help buddy.
Phil
  • spiderbike
  • Born
  • Born
  • spiderbike

Post 3+ Months Ago

Is there a method to getting near the top, without paying SEO companies lots of money?
  • darksat
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: London (via the rest of the world)

Post 3+ Months Ago

Learn SEO
Or else I charge a very cheap consultant fee just to tell you what you need to do and let you do it yourself.
  • vetofunk
  • A SEO GUY
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Chicago

Post 3+ Months Ago

Anything dealing with websites will be a tough job. The whole area is very optimized. The best thing would be to research on this forum. It will give you the steps in optimizing your site. If your consistent and patient, you can become successful in this industry.
  • john5269
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • john5269

Post 3+ Months Ago

spiderbike wrote:
Is there a method to getting near the top, without paying SEO companies lots of money?

Anybody can get to the top if they worked on it.
  • madmonk
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • madmonk
  • Loc: australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

looking at web design and seo, there are simply too many around. Too competitive and you are pitting yrself against many guys other.

sofar, people who are successful in web design companies are the people who started when websites are born. Its smooth crusing for them right now cuz they have established themselves.
both online as well as offline...

the other guys are just struggling against the cheaper rates, competitors and more competition to come...
  • samspoon
  • Born
  • Born
  • samspoon

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi,
Im new to this site but have been a webdesigner for 10 years now. Optimization is an art in its self, you could spend most of your time trying to keep up with the changes in search engine techniques. I find its best to stick with one search engine, say google, and try to get high in that one. There are many tools out there to help you. Tools that update themselves with the lastes techniques are the best. I've been using searchenginecloaker.com for a while now and have found this to do everything I need. I can get on with site design and let someone else sort out the ranking system. Do a search on website optimization I'm sure you will find plenty info
  • Jess
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

To be honest - im quite supprised with the advice that is given on this forum.

Quote:
learn seo.....

Well thats exactly what he's trying to do by asking for advice.

spiderbike - the first thing you need to do is determine what keywords you want to appear in the search engines for.

use a tool like overture

http://inventory.overture.com/d/searchi ... uggestion/

to determine whether or not your targeted keywords are actually being searched for. No point targeteing keywords that nobody search's for :)

So now you determined your keywords, you need to interweave them into your web site.

title
descriptions
keywords
h1/h2 tags
alt tags
and obviously the main text on your web site.

Now the engines work in different ways. Yahoo/msn/ etc are probably the easiest to target. They work on keyword density. i.e the more times you have your targted keywords interweaved throughout your pages, the chances are you will do better.

The kwy is to write good sales copy though - so the text on your page includes your keywords, but reads well to human beings as well :)

Both yahoo and google use backlinks and the anchor text in the backlinks to determine how popular a site is and what the site is about.

If your targeting a site with the keywords widgets. Make sure the links that you have pointing at your site use the anchor text widgets.l

SEO isn't difficult, it isn't something only a select few can do. It ios common sense.

If you have a site targeting widgets, it makes sense that having the word widgets in your meta tags, titles, page copy and incoming links will rank better than a site that doesnt mention widgets at all.

Currently in google your site only registers 2 backlinks - you should work on this - submit to directories/blogs/forums.

At the end of the day a human being made the search engine - you just have to think what type of features they would have incorporated into their engine to rank sites.
  • Johan007
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Aldershot, UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

john5269 wrote:
Anybody can get to the top if they worked on it.

It totally depends on your competition for a particular key word. You cant beet a site if they are spending hundreds of pounds on aggressive link building like the sites on the footer links of this forum, or if your fighting against big well established companies with loads of pages.

Jess wrote:
The kwy is to write good sales copy though - so the text on your page includes your keywords, but reads well to human beings as well

I dont write copy for SEO at all. You should write copy for people only IMO. Just focus on header tags and keyword rich inbound links for SEO.
  • Jess
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

Johan007 wrote:

Jess wrote:
The kwy is to write good sales copy though - so the text on your page includes your keywords, but reads well to human beings as well

I dont write copy for SEO at all. You should write copy for people only IMO. Just focus on header tags and keyword rich inbound links for SEO.

Sometimes the best way to do it. Common sense says that writing purely for humans your text will contain your keywords. However I've worked with a lot of talented copywriters over the last few years and i'd thoroughly reccomend reading up on the subject. It does help with seo rankings for keyword density search engines.
  • Johan007
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Aldershot, UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

Sure if you want to spend valuable time on low hanging fruit but for anything remotely competitive it has no effect. Jessica you have valuable points in your post and my gripe is just personal opinion.

Addition to my above post: its a good idea to include keyword rich internal links instead of "read more..." type buttons. Meta tags are also pointless for ranking unless you want Google to use it as an option to display results.
  • madmonk
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • madmonk

Post 3+ Months Ago

so far, the best way to do optmisation for google is to read webmaster guidelines. then from there.
http://www.google.com.au/webmasters/

from there, you can read more stuffs from seo articles and then move on to forums. keep up to date with seo forums and you will find your improving as you go along..
  • madmonk
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • madmonk

Post 3+ Months Ago

I also agree with Jess about some of the comments we are getting in here. Not useful and one-liners.

it is quite different when i first joined ozzu.

also, to spiderbike: take a pinch of salt in forums

great resource which I have been keeping track *no matter what* is searchenginewatch.com
- lots of news and tips
Still not sick of it yet, and just waiting for more articles and readings :-)
  • Jess
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

Johan007 wrote:
Sure if you want to spend valuable time on low hanging fruit but for anything remotely competitive it has no effect. Jessica you have valuable points in your post and my gripe is just personal opinion.

Addition to my above post: its a good idea to include keyword rich internal links instead of "read more..." type buttons. Meta tags are also pointless for ranking unless you want Google to use it as an option to display results.

Absolutely - our opinions arwe purely our opinions - at the end of the day, we all want the best results and thats why we talk about how to achieve them :)

I'd like to give you an example.

not so long ago we were targeting a phrase.

Now i achieved number 1 for this phrase in a matter of weeks. (it wasn't very competitive so no big deal)

The problem was, the visits over sales ratio was very poor.

i.e - we had heaps of visits, but no1 was buying.
So we consulted a copywriter (reccomended from some of the best seo's i know)

He re-wrote everything, and i mean everything. And lieterally about 2 weeks or so lat5er, sales for the site increased around 24% ...

From that day I pledged to understand the practice of copywriting. Still now i pay people to do it for me as it is their profession and i cannot write the way they do.

My simple question would be - have you ever paid a copywriter to write your content and compaired you ROI against not paying one? Because if you havn't its very hard to compare your work against what im talking about.
  • madmonk
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • madmonk

Post 3+ Months Ago

hey there, can you show us an example of a good copywriter or writing? cuz I have never paid for any before and you have a point in saying that.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 17 posts