How often should I ping my site?

• Basher
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Loc: uk

Post 3+ Months Ago

I've been advised I should ping my site I was planning to use "ping o matic" but it only lets you ping one page at a time so can I get in trouble with the engines if i ping say 5 separate pages a day on each of my sites? or whats a safe number i can ping and how often? also is there any software that will let me ping all my pages with just one submission?

thanks in advance :D
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007
  • Loc: NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

Who told you that you were supposed to ping your site and why? Web sites have only one IP address. How do you ping each page?
  • Basher
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Loc: uk

Post 3+ Months Ago

sorry i think ive got the wrong idea it was on another forum someone mentioned pinging their pages and even their sitemap to help get their new content listed. The reason I want to know is I have a wodrpress blog and when i make a post it gets listed o problem but I also have some html pages on the domain all linked to the blog with a sitemap but im having trouble getting all the pages listed I wasnt sure if i had to ping every separate page.

So when you ping a site you just ping the main domain like http://www.yourdomain.com ?
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007
  • Loc: NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

I don't know anything about wordpress. I'm sure someone else can help you with that.
  • zero_digit
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

Just ping your site whenever you have a new post.
  • raghhav
  • Born
  • Born
  • raghhav
  • Loc: Mumbai, India

Post 3+ Months Ago

Can you tell me the procedure to ping my website
Moderator Remark: url removed
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

If you are using Wordpress like the original poster it should ping the readers automatically when you post a new blog entry. The readers pick up on the ping and index your entry. At least that's the way it works with b2evolution. I assume wordpress has that built in as well. There's nothing you should have to do.
  • Vatson
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

i ping my site every week, but there is the difference?
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Vatson wrote:
i ping my site every week, but there is the difference?

Pinging your site every week is like posting to every thread in a forum. After awhile it annoys the search engines.
  • Vatson
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

thanks ATNO/TW for answer.

I placed the posts in each topic because I think that my answers will help the members of the forum. My posts not good enough? I try to share with my interlocutors, and at the same time - update the date in the topics, related to SEO in particular.

thanks again.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

I sent you a reply to your PM.
  • Jenie0109
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

I ping approved sites everyday.
Is there a penalty for over pinging?
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

I don't understand why you need to ping other than when you add a new blog article or update your blog. You should ping then, because it tells the news aggregators to come and index the change/s. News Aggregators are not like search engines that crawl automatically or periodically. They need to be "told" there are changes they need to index. That is what you are doing with your ping. The ping doesn't send any information about what the changes are. It's like a dinner bell that says, "Food is on the table, come and get it!" And ping is effective. New articles are often available on the feeds within minutes of your ping.

Pinging your aggregators when there are no changes is pretty pointless, if you ask me.

Here's a good article that gives a clearer understanding of ping
http://1389blog.com/2007/08/21/why-blog ... d-to-ping/
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
Pinging your aggregators when there are no changes is pretty pointless, if you ask me.

I have to agree. It's like having someone sitting in the front passenger seat of a car saying "We're there!" every time you get to a stoplight.
  • aikabeatrice
  • Loc: Las Vegas, Nevada

Post 3+ Months Ago

I only ping them everytime I had a new post. Yes, I think there is a penalty for over pinging.
  • cdt8874
  • Born
  • Born
  • cdt8874

Post 3+ Months Ago

aikabeatrice wrote:
I only ping them everytime I had a new post. Yes, I think there is a penalty for over pinging.

Sorry but you're wrong. I don't understand why people reply to blog posts and advise if they are not 100% sure what they're talking about. No disrespect but it only misleads people with the wrong advice.

There is absolutely no penalty for over-pinging. You will never get deleted from Google or penalised in any way because if that was the case then my competitiors would try to knock me off top spot for my chosen keyword. Google can't penalise in case compitiors are malicious with over-pinging and other malicious behaviour. However, if you do over ping then Google just ignores your website for a while. It's still indexed and un-penalised but by over-pinging you will b wasting your time. I hope that helps you more.
  • DataGenius
  • Born
  • Born
  • DataGenius
  • Loc: 1/11 Winchester Street, Merivale, Christchurch

Post 3+ Months Ago

I don’t think something like that would get you penalized. It might not be a lot of SEO benefits, but I do it for client sites all the time for added some resources because it definitely is helpful for their potential clients and the users. But this is when the theme is relevant for the two or three sites.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 17 posts