How often is too often to re-submit a url I want spidered?

• nuclei
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: On a mountain

Post 3+ Months Ago

Axe wrote:
The lilpop checker on nuclei's site

http://enginemage.com/linkpop.html

first off that checker has not been updated in 6 months, and probably needs it in a bad way.

secondly google only shows PR4+ links publicly in their link: search, so they will always show less.
  • vetofunk
  • A SEO GUY
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Chicago

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ohhhhh...yeah, he'll have to answer that one.
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: Sub-level 28

Post 3+ Months Ago

nuclei wrote:
Axe wrote:
secondly google only shows PR4+ links publicly in their link: search, so they will always show less.

Yeah, but when I go to Google, it shows about 500 links to my page (so all of those pages are gonna be PR4+)...

If it's not been updated in 6 months, then it's understandable. 6 months ago, Google wasn't my best friend, lol.
  • vetofunk
  • A SEO GUY
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

when you do the "link:" command it will show you all site that link to you. When you use the backlink tool in the Google toolbar, you will only see sites that have at least a PR of 4 linking to you.

Is this what your asking?
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

No no, I was asking why Nuclei's tool didn't seem to reflect what search engines thought of me...

In his popularity checker...

AllTheWeb : Pop Rank 1 : 4,301 backlinks listed on their site
Yahoo : Pop Rank 0 : 29,900 backlinks listed on their site

I was wondering why Yahoo showed me as having 29,900 backlinks, yet his popularity checker shows me having 0 popularity there (lower rating than another search engine that only has 4,301 links back to me). Then when he said he hasn't updated it in 6 months, it made sense.

6 Months ago, search engines didn't know much about my site :)
  • nuclei
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: On a mountain

Post 3+ Months Ago

vetofunk wrote:
when you do the "link:" command it will show you all site that link to you. When you use the backlink tool in the Google toolbar, you will only see sites that have at least a PR of 4 linking to you.

Is this what your asking?

I was not asking anything. I stated that using the link: search the results shown are ONLY the sites with PR4 or better. Period. Google does not publicly show any sites under PR4 in the link: search.
  • jfvb1225
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Ohio

Post 3+ Months Ago

you lost me :shock: I think it sucks you pay money to expedite to the search engines, and then they take their sweet time anyway. They certainly charged it to my visa fast enough :evil:
  • vetofunk
  • A SEO GUY
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Nuclei,

That was a question to Axe.

jfvb1225,
Usually when you do pay to get into a search engine, they get your site in their index in less than a week. Which engine are you talking about that is taking a while?
  • jfvb1225
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ask Jeeves / Teoma. $30 paid on 2/27.

Plus I paid for go-daddy to do the submission through several different sites and the results have been marginal.
  • vetofunk
  • A SEO GUY
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

As long as your in the engine. You will not get very good results from those engines has they do not get very much traffic. I track all my incoming traffic and I get very little from each of those.
  • jfvb1225
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

Im only showing up in google, and not very well. Thats my fault for submitting the page before I knew enough to have the title, keyword, and description tags the way they should be. It would be nice if you could get the engines to re-look at your site when you want them to. Ive got ad-word running on google as well, and have seen no calls or emails from it. So Im sending money to newspapers at the moment for advertising space, which I intended to do anyway to reach potential customers with no computer or no internet access. I guess some people do still read the paper to find out the news. :wink: Theres not a lot of competition here in Youngstown for computer services. So Im really only competing with a few other businesses. It appears to me that people who operate the search engines work just like the government, theyll take your cash faster than lightning, but provide the service you paid for at a snails pace. :lol:

*edited 3/20 to take out the x-tra periods I have a bad habit of using. :oops: *
  • vetofunk
  • A SEO GUY
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

You know Google Adwords has a regional targeting service. All you have to do is set it up for your area and your ads will only show up there.

I have had a little success with it. The nice thing is that you save money because you wont have people on the other side of the country clicking on your ads.

Google also has a free tracking service. I do not use because we have inhouse software. This could help you with why you are not seeing any leads from your ads.

Also, Webtrends is a good product to find out if there is a specifc term people are using to find you or if there is a certain page people are leaving, then you can fix that page to better suit your visitors.
  • vetofunk
  • A SEO GUY
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

If you want to keep tracking of your ranking for different keywords, http://www.digitalpoint.com/tools/keywords/ has a great free Google tracking report.

This way you can see where your positioning is and how often it increases or decreases.
  • jfvb1225
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'll try that, thanks. Ive got my google adword setup down to about 10 keywords that have been running strong for days. And I do have it set up regionally for my area. Some good tracking data does seem like the logical place for answers. Thanks for the links.

edited 3/20 to take out the x-tra periods I have a bad habit of using. :oops:
  • jfvb1225
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

Does it ever end? Now I found another submission site for Aeiwi. And this one wants all keywords seperated by a comma or it wont accept the url. :shock: it would be nice if there was some kind of standards.

*edited 3/20 to take out x-tra periods I have a bad habit of typing. :oops:
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Personally, I don't feel that any search engine that can't find you all by itself is worth submitting to. I've not submitted a site to search engines in about 5 years.

Paying for ads is a lil different, but just for regular listings, nah.
  • jfvb1225
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

I believe you. Im not paying for another one. enginemage.com has shown me a few things about what my competitor who has himself listed so well is doing. hes got tons of other sites linking back to him. so Im working on that.
  • vetofunk
  • A SEO GUY
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Are you talking about http://aeiwi.com/. I wouldnt even worry about that site, I have never heard of it, plus it doesnt even have any PR.
  • jfvb1225
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yep thats the one. got onto jayde too. Hey things are looking up today, google revisited my site and got my new keywords. so now Im cruising up where I want to be for my search terms. I just need to put some effort into refining the keywords.
  • jfvb1225
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

Does the way you position the keywords in the meta tag make a difference? ie. should I put repair, sales, service together or could they be anywhere in the list? Also, is it necessary to seperate each keyword with commas?
  • jfvb1225
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

I dont believe this, somehow between this morning and now, the cache of my website on google has reverted back to what it originally was. Within 12 hours I went from where I wanted to be right back to where I started. This sucks. :evil:
  • vetofunk
  • A SEO GUY
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Do you have a DMOZ listing yet? That is very important. If you have submitted it to a cateogry in the past, you can check its status at resource-zone.com
  • jfvb1225
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

I submitted to it, I had read in some other post that you are an editor there and was going to ask you about checking the status on that.

Whoa, I checked it out. Theres like 227 pages of other posts wanting to know the same thing about their sites. I dont want to bother anyone.

What I did was find where my closest competition is listed in there, and submitted my url to the same directory.

(I know its been over a week ago I did that, so after writing this, I submitted it again).
  • vetofunk
  • A SEO GUY
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

You can ask the progress of your submission, that is what it is there for and they usually find out by the next day. Just make sure you read the guideleines or they will not answer your question.

But remember, you should have submitted it over a month ago before you start asking.
  • jfvb1225
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks, I give up on it. Sooner or later the search engines will have my updated site cached, Im not paying any of them anymore as it doesnt seem to make a difference. Ive run my site through meta tag checking sites, poodle predictor, linked and gotten back links every where I can think of that might be a good source of relevant content. Last night I went ahead and hosted the other domain name I bought, so now Im going to work on getting a good CSS style sheet site going there. I like using frontpage, which was what made my current site, but Im disappointed that it doesnt even mention to you the importance of meta tags content when youre starting from a template. Ive got dreamweaver, but its not as easy to use as frontpage.
  • vetofunk
  • A SEO GUY
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

About the cache, I just saw that one my sites also reverted back to past cache and lost alot of its rankings. I am guessing this is only temporary.

As far as meta tags, they are very easy to create, you should have no prob doing them.
  • jfvb1225
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

Oh Ive got it pretty much down to a science now, meta tags that is.
Im salty about google reverting my cache, but theres nothing I can do but wait too.
Meanwhile, on a good note, someone in another post informed me earlier that my site has made the dmoz directory. :D
  • jasper
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Loc: Surrey, UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

Axe wrote:
One of my sites (Reptile Rooms), is different every time you load the page - whether it's the list of the most recent forum posts, or the random image displayed from the gallery, there's a certain % of content that changes, but it took Google a while to realise that it was being updated that often.

I have a web site that links to a forum. How would I get the most recent forum posts to appear on my homepage? Your site looks cool and I like the way elements of it appear very current.

I would like to emulate this but would like the content to self update rather than having to post manually every day.

many thanks

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 58 posts