How often is too often to re-submit a url I want spidered?

• jfvb1225
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Ohio

Post 3+ Months Ago

Howdy All,
I submitted on 2/21 and again today. since I've made changes to be more search engine friendly. whats the frequency that will be considered spamming?
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: Sub-level 28

Post 3+ Months Ago

Submitted to whom? Google?

I've never submitted a URL to Google, and my sites always end up in there...

The best way to make sure you get listed, is to have sites that Google already knows about linking to you.
  • jfvb1225
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

I used a submission service and submitted to their list of sites, which includes google, inktomi, and yahoo. and waited a week before resubmitting.
  • jfvb1225
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

google has my site, and also a site Im on that links to mine. and vice versa.
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

If Google already knows about your site, then there's no need to submit it. Submitting a site won't update an existing site, it's simply for adding new sites to the queue.

If Google already knows your site exists, you'll probably be getting spidered at least once a month. How often do your pages change/get updated?

Google has learned that the main page on 2 of my sites are updated pretty much on a daily basis, so it updates them every couple of days or so. How often it updates really depends on how often your pages change. Google learns to adapt to update certain sites more often.
  • jfvb1225
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thats where Id like to reach, having google update every few days. at present, its been a week since it originally picked up my url. and Ive added better keywords, title and description meta tags, as well as moved to a completely different look to the site.
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

For Google to update you every few days, you'll need to be modifying your page every day or two - posting news, etc.

If your page rarely changes, then Google will rarely update.
  • jfvb1225
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

lol. well, then it shouldnt be a problem. the more I read and find out about getting results on google the more Im updating. like 2 or 3 times a day Id say. so it should have detected my changes by now I would think.
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well, it can still take a while for it to realise you are updating that often - especially if you've only recently started doing it.

One of my sites (Reptile Rooms), is different every time you load the page - whether it's the list of the most recent forum posts, or the random image displayed from the gallery, there's a certain % of content that changes, but it took Google a while to realise that it was being updated that often. It did take a few months before it realised that it was being updated regularly.
  • jfvb1225
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

crap. thats not good news. I have another domain name waiting to be hosted and soforth. this is quite a learning experience and i know what to do differently in the beginning now. I appreciate all your help.
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well, when it detects a new site that it's never seen before, it seems to check it every few days - at least to make sure it exists, even if not to update its index... So if you're making a new domain name that's updated regularly, Google should pick up on that fairly quickly.

If it's a pre-existing domain name that's been static & stagnant for a year, it can take a while for it to learn to change its habits when scanning the site.
  • jfvb1225
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

is there a reliable way to check what the status is once youve submitted your site? say to yahoo or inktomi. other than just the standard. "your page has been submitted" message?
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Not really, at least not that I know of.
  • jfvb1225
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well, thats okay. Ive learned a lot this past week or so. my main concern was not over submitting and getting myself locked out.
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Once you've submitted once, don't worry about it... Like I said, I've never submitted my sites, and I still don't worry about it, hehe. They'll find you eventually.
  • jfvb1225
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

eventually isnt a good thing though. I'm pushing it to get a business going, and the standard advertising methods just dont produce that well around here.
  • vetofunk
  • A SEO GUY
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Chicago

Post 3+ Months Ago

If you need to get your site spidered quickly, make sure to get links from as many places as possible. Axe may have said this, but I was only skimming. :wink:

You need to get your site into directories such as DMOZ, Joeant, Websavvy, Gimpsy, and others. These will help get your site spidered quickly. I have found that once I get into DMOZ, I am spidered very soon afterwards.

Also, if you need to get in quick, buy a url subscription to inktomi, you will be in MSN within a few days. Get a directory listing in Yahoo, it will get you in there directory within a few days and help you get into Yahoo search.

Other smaller engines such as Altavista and all-the-web now have free submission (takes up to 6 months) or you can pay for inclusion there also.

And about getting your site spidered often. Axe was right when he said have changing content. Make sure your site is always updated. But it also helps to have a high Pagerank. I am one site that is updates probably once a month, but gets spidered every few days because it has a Pagerank of 6.

Hope all this helps. Just my opinion.
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Eventually is your only option. Eventually might be 2 days, eventually might be a month. I don't own Google, this isn't my choice :)

Like vetofunk says, make sure you get links from as many places as possible. The more people link to you, the more popular you look, and the sooner Google may get you up there.

If that's not soon enough, as it's a business, you might be better paying for some actual ads on Google, while you wait for the listings to catch up.
  • vetofunk
  • A SEO GUY
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Axe brings up a great point. Every client I have, I always start out with pay-per-click advertising because I have them online immediately. You can be listed on Google in less than 15min using Google Adwords.
  • jfvb1225
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks much.your opinions are greatly appreciated. I am running google adwords presently, also I paid for most of the smaller engine submissions through go-daddy when I registered the domain. Google has me now, but they spidered it before I had the site meta tagged and soforth like it is now. I want them to re-spider it and get the updated stuff. I also went ahead and paid for the yearly inclusion into jeeves. Ive got two good link exchanges going right now.so all I can do is sit and wait. meanwhile I am advertising in print through a few newspapers to hit the crowd with no computer at all.
  • vetofunk
  • A SEO GUY
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Remember directories! Also, take a look at the thread I started on the big changes in Yahoo and Overture.
  • jfvb1225
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

I read it :wink:
  • nuclei
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: On a mountain

Post 3+ Months Ago

vetofunk wrote:
If you need to get your site spidered quickly, make sure to get links from as many places as possible. Axe may have said this, but I was only skimming. :wink:

You need to get your site into directories such as DMOZ, Joeant, Websavvy, Gimpsy, and others. These will help get your site spidered quickly. I have found that once I get into DMOZ, I am spidered very soon afterwards.

Also, if you need to get in quick, buy a url subscription to inktomi, you will be in MSN within a few days. Get a directory listing in Yahoo, it will get you in there directory within a few days and help you get into Yahoo search.

Other smaller engines such as Altavista and all-the-web now have free submission (takes up to 6 months) or you can pay for inclusion there also.

And about getting your site spidered often. Axe was right when he said have changing content. Make sure your site is always updated. But it also helps to have a high Pagerank. I am one site that is updates probably once a month, but gets spidered every few days because it has a Pagerank of 6.

Hope all this helps. Just my opinion.

there is a large list of places to get listed right here: http://enginemage.com

That alone can get you hundreds of links that get spidered daily.
  • vetofunk
  • A SEO GUY
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Great Find!
  • jfvb1225
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks much. all the advice and knowledge is greatly appreciated. I need to go ahead and hire one of you guys to handle all this for me. :D
  • nuclei
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: On a mountain

Post 3+ Months Ago

vetofunk wrote:
Great Find!

You mean "thanks for building it", I think :P
  • vetofunk
  • A SEO GUY
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ahhhh...nice, yeah I started my own which I now have about 100 directories/sites, but there are quite a few I have not seen, which are on yours.

Good Jerb!
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hey, how come when I do the popularity checker on my domain, Google comes back as being "0" - in fact, they all do except for AllTheWeb, which shows me as "1"

AllTheWeb shows 3,401 results linking to my site's homepage..

Yahoo (which shows as '0') shows 29,900 pages linking to my site's homepage.

So, how is this popularity rated? I would assume that a search engine having 29,900 links to my homepage would have a higher "popularity" rating than a search engine that shows 3,401 links to my homepage.

Google's PR (via google toolbar) shows me 6/10 on the same URL.
  • vetofunk
  • A SEO GUY
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

What tool are you using for this?
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

The lilpop checker on nuclei's site