How To Start A Forum & Run It Successfully?

• joshua_snl
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • joshua_snl

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi guys,

I have just launched a new site - //link removed - the link is in your signature. That's all that's allowed. - and I have integrated a Forum into the website.

However, while I have built quite a fair bit of websites, starting up and managing a successful forum is pretty new to me. Does anyone here have the experience of starting up successful forums and would you be willing to share how it should be done? (i.e. the principles behind a successful forum?)

Thanks a lot for sharing,
Joshua
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

You'll do 85% of the posting yourself for the first six months to a year. Often you'll feel as if you are talking to yourself. Don't make a lot of simple basic one or two line posts or replies to other. Make quality posts with a lot of relevent content that the search engines will pick up on. Read every post and make an effort to respond to every member. Try to make it so there are no unanswered posts. Members won't hang around if they aren't made to feel part of your community. Start by inviting friends, family, co-workers, people you know or meet. You have to be a bit of a salesman, and get them interested enough to where, they'll invite others.

There's a whole lot more to it, But I can tell you for sure that's how OZZU got started.
  • joshua_snl
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • joshua_snl

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hmm.. This is bad. I have thought of doing that - talking to myself - but it seems like such a waste of time. LOL.

Now I understand why there are so many free web hosting services out there that gives away Web Hosting Space in return for "Posts". Man, this is crazy.

Is there any smarter way of doing this besides this "self-posting" approach?
  • lajocar
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: South Africa

Post 3+ Months Ago

I tried twice to launch a forum and both times I got frustrated with all the sex spam.

I deleted the forum database out of sheer frustration. It is difficult to build a successful forum. It is not impossible though. Just a lot of hard work.

:)
  • megri
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Loc: Chandigarh India

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think you must hire some moderator to make posts as for first year you will have to make the post and lot of time need to remove spam
  • web24pty
  • Born
  • Born
  • web24pty

Post 3+ Months Ago

There are some website's, who can help you in promoting your forum, they got content writers who can write the posts and reply back themselves, just search on the google and you will sure find it out.

See nothing is easy, it takes time and some smart advertising to promote your forums.
  • marblehost
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • marblehost

Post 3+ Months Ago

It's not a easy job.
The forum need good and lot of content.
And it's need good SEO to promoting it.
And need some poster to ads you website in other forum.
  • Americantruckbuyer
  • Student
  • Student
  • Americantruckbuyer

Post 3+ Months Ago

hi frd,

The thing which "ATNO/TW" said ... is boring but still u need to do so...

its not easy to make ur forum running well and bring visitors to it ... so u have to make all efforts without thinking of boring to do or any such things...

a lot of advertising, promoting ur forum, good seo and many things...

Puneet M
  • RedBMedia
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Another thing to think about is whether or not your subject is vertical or not. in other words single issue or single topic forums tend to be more successful because they cater to a niche audiance. The more spesific that you can get with your topic the easier it might be to start the forum. For example, a forum called "Joe's Forum" isn't going to do as well, as a forum called "Joe's American Science Fiction Readers Forum"
  • darkone
  • darkone
  • Loc: New Hampshire

Post 3+ Months Ago

I started my forum community about 7 months ago. And so far I am pretty pleased at how it is doing. I have done quite the bit of work and I have about 1050 posts that I have made. I have two moderators that post a good amount and spur conversation. The users are starting to come to the site now I average about 250-300 uniques a day which I think is pretty good.

Now its just getting people chatting and really getting it rocking! The forums cover a broad scope of topics so there is plenty for people to comment on. But content brings them in and be a good admin and answer people and help them. The best way to advertise is word of mouth. I am starting to get welcome posts that have they found the site from a friend. That's what ya want :)

I'm still growing the forums and hope to have 1k users by end of Dec. Think I might do it at 612 now and get about 5 day or so on avg.

Any tips on improving my site are welcomed :)

-D1-
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Relevant articles: information people would need. Try to answer questions. Advertise on other sites if possible. Invite friends, people you know, met... Design is good. Navigation is easy.

darkone = post your own thread for your forum.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 11 posts