No Index,No Follow for affiliate links possible?

• ctrenks
  • Student
  • Student
  • ctrenks

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have a click counter from my site, as well as counting I want to stop search engines from following the links as with over 300 affiliates I don't want to have that many non-returned links going out. I tried the following:

Code: [ Select ]
<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN">
<html>
<head>
<meta name="robots" content="noindex,nofollow">
<?
..Counting code..

header("Location: $clickurl");
?>
</head>
</html>
  1. <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN">
  2. <html>
  3. <head>
  4. <meta name="robots" content="noindex,nofollow">
  5. <?
  6. ..Counting code..
  7.   header("Location: $clickurl");
  8. ?>
  9. </head>
  10. </html>

is this possible with php?
  • ctrenks
  • Student
  • Student
  • ctrenks

Post 3+ Months Ago

I forgot to mention the important part! When i set to nofollow the browser does not follow as well!
  • phaugh
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

"<meta name="robots" content="noindex,nofollow">"

This line will also cause your page not to be indexed. Is that what you want? Or do you only want the external links to be ignored. If your looking to supress the links use "rel=nofollow" in the anchor tag for each link.

Does anyone know if this "rel=nofollow" can be done for a whole class/style using css?
  • phaugh
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

"I forgot to mention the important part! When i set to nofollow the browser does not follow as well!" ..what? :shock:

The link should still work for visitors to your site...the nofollow is only for the robots.
  • ctrenks
  • Student
  • Student
  • ctrenks

Post 3+ Months Ago

phaugh wrote:
"<meta name="robots" content="noindex,nofollow">"

This line will also cause your page not to be indexed. Is that what you want? Or do you only want the external links to be ignored. If your looking to supress the links use "rel=nofollow" in the anchor tag for each link.

Does anyone know if this "rel=nofollow" can be done for a whole class/style using css?

I thought I saw before the rel=nofollow was a blackhgat type thing to google, I don't want to cause myself more trouble than this is causing!

Thanks for your help!
  • ctrenks
  • Student
  • Student
  • ctrenks

Post 3+ Months Ago

Anyone have a link to a good cgi script to re-direct, keep following dead links all over the place lol..

Thanks!
  • phaugh
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

The rel=nofollow" attribute of the anchor tag was created recently to stop spammers from taking advantage of linking from all the public blogs...here's an article from google that explains it all:
"From now on, when Google sees the attribute (rel="nofollow") on hyperlinks, those links won't get any credit when we rank websites in our search results. This isn't a negative vote for the site... it's just a way to make sure that spammers get no benefit from abusing public areas like blog comments, trackbacks, and referrer lists. "

Complete Article:
http://www.google.com/googleblog/2005/0 ... -spam.html
  • ctrenks
  • Student
  • Student
  • ctrenks

Post 3+ Months Ago

thanks a lot, that will help and resolve my issue of 600+ outgoing links :)
  • rajputkashyap
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

phaugh wrote:
The rel=nofollow" attribute of the anchor tag was created recently to stop spammers from taking advantage of linking from all the public blogs...here's an article from google that explains it all:
"From now on, when Google sees the attribute (rel="nofollow") on hyperlinks, those links won't get any credit when we rank websites in our search results. This isn't a negative vote for the site... it's just a way to make sure that spammers get no benefit from abusing public areas like blog comments, trackbacks, and referrer lists. "

Complete Article:
http://www.google.com/googleblog/2005/0 ... -spam.html

thanx a lot!

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 9 posts