keyword density

• ZenSEO
  • Student
  • Student
  • ZenSEO

Post 3+ Months Ago

OK am doing a new site which I am trying to both optimize for the engines as well as not optimize for google ;) anyone know what the best keyword density is to stay at for your main keywords? I am having a hard time keeping it below 10% for my main keywords and i've seen other places that around 3% is best -- is that true? is there going to be a penalty for having a higher keyword density assuming i'm not just throwing a bunch of words together to try to get high rankings? trying to keep my site short and relevant unfortunately means high keyword densities esp. on main pages :)
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• john5269
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • john5269

Post 3+ Months Ago

I would also like to know what the best density percentage should be.

My sites were quite good within the search engines for some pages and once I optimized them with about a 8% density for my main keywords, I found that my sites ranking dropped slightly.

So to be truthful, I think that 8% may be a little to high.

I think it should probably be around 3% - 6%.

But I am not sure for certain so I would like to know from alot more people before I go with re-optimizing my sites with a lower keyword density.
  • ZenSEO
  • Student
  • Student
  • ZenSEO

Post 3+ Months Ago

I was just looking at the page that is #3 on my top keyword (#1 and #2 are naturals) and it has a keyword density around 20% for my one word keyword! i didn't see anything special about the page in terms of optimization they did pretty much the same things I do.. maybe even less as I didn't see much in terms of keyword bold/h1/italics/etc just lots of keyword repetition throughout the text with lots of ibls back and forth between its pages and a ton of links in google, most from blog spamming some from just good ol' link swapping.... some links i couldn't even pull up anymore so i'm thinking they're old and google just hasn't updated its backlinks on those yet...
  • john5269
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • john5269

Post 3+ Months Ago

That's why I made my link density about 8% as one of my main competitors seems to be at the top of Google for quite a few keywords. So I then used a density tool on his site to see what his density was for the keywords that I had typed into Google to search for his site and I then found that the density was roughtly 8%.

But the only problem with that is that his home page had rather alot of text. It had about 2000 words or so where as my page hasn't got much in a way of words. It is mainly an index of links and descriptions of them as it's a directory.
  • Jess
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Effective seo cannot be done by percentages IMO. If it was as easy as "have your keyword density at 8% or 10%" - we'd all be doing it.
  • ZenSEO
  • Student
  • Student
  • ZenSEO

Post 3+ Months Ago

The person's site w/ 20% keyword density also had a lot of text on the main page... he also had the keyword as a heading in tables on the main page as well... does the keyword in a table heading make any difference in ranking?

is a long amount of text w/ a relatively high keyword density what google wants?
  • phaugh
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

"Effective seo cannot be done by percentages IMO. If it was as easy as "have your keyword density at 8% or 10%" - we'd all be doing it." ...right on!

Any opinion on placement of keyphrases and the words that surround them....there were theroies on google using a dictionary to determine a site topic relevance...ie if I'm selling real estate then my page should conatin terms dealing with not only real estate but homes, condos, land, agents...etc.

"does the keyword in a table heading make any difference in ranking" ...yes I think so....any text that is formated different than plain text should get special consideration...how much I don't know
  • john5269
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • john5269

Post 3+ Months Ago

Jess wrote:
Effective seo cannot be done by percentages IMO. If it was as easy as "have your keyword density at 8% or 10%" - we'd all be doing it.

Keyword density is only a small percentage of what Google uses to rank sites. So what I do is keep my pages to about a 5% - 8% density so that I know that I have not got to little of my main keywords in the page and I also know that I am not keyword spamming the search engines by having two many keywords in my page.

I think a 15% plus density may be a little high.

As I said, keword density is only a very small percentage of what Google uses to rank a site just by getting your keyword density right won't make your site rank no. 1 in the search engines.

You also need to do alot of other SEO.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 8 posts