Keyword Tactics

• rtm223
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Uk

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm working on a project at the moment for a local charity. They work with young people in my area so we need the following keywords:

something to do with young people
Wellingborough (my town)
Northamptonshire and/or east northanmptonshire (the wider area)
the charity name

The problem is that they do so many different services (councelling, support, drop in, contraceptive and sex education, help with drugs, help for young mothers... the list goes on)

We are going to have a page for each service (or group of services).

Would it be worthwhile optimising different pages for different keywords, in the hope that someone looking for contraception will be sent directly to the contraception page?

Or should I just go with some general keywords across the entire site?

Also if I go for the first option, should I have a couple of site-wide keywords as well as the page-specific ones?

I want to get this right from the start rather than have to go through and change everything later.

Any help appreciated.

//BTW what is a good guide for number of keywords/keyphrases on a page?
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• eCommando
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • eCommando
  • Loc: California, USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Since they have different pages for different keywords, i would try to optimize for specific keywords for those pages.

Then probably general keywords for the main page. Have different anchor texts coming in to the front page.
  • vetofunk
  • A SEO GUY
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Chicago

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yes, optimize each page for a certain group of keywords. Use these keywords in the title, description, text, and any links. I would use the most important keywords on the homepage. With the links throughout the site, use links with the proper anchor text to point to each of the specific pages. Just make sure you use a keyword suggestion tool to see that is searched the most. The more specific terms you use, the easier your chances of getting positioned high are.
  • disgust
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • disgust

Post 3+ Months Ago

just one tip:

include the town (or maybe any larger/close-by cities) VERY often.

I know that when I'm searching for something locally, I'd always, always include that- and it looks like anyone that finds the page and isn't from around there won't be helped much anyway.
  • vetofunk
  • A SEO GUY
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Chicago

Post 3+ Months Ago

disgust wrote:
just one tip:

include the town (or maybe any larger/close-by cities) VERY often.

I know that when I'm searching for something locally, I'd always, always include that- and it looks like anyone that finds the page and isn't from around there won't be helped much anyway.

Great advice ^
  • rtm223
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Uk

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yeah it is pretty small-scale, I'd say that mostly just my town, although the total catchment area is mabe 10-15 miles and they go out to some of the outlying villages.

I'll keep that in mind - it's probably going to be a site-wide keyword used on every page if I can make it natural in the context of the page content.

Thanks for the help again guys.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 6 posts