Layers good for Search Engines?

• mr_darek
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

I would like to hear feedback on wether or not layers in an HTML document is considered OK by search engines when it comes to spidering the document.

As far as I am aware, it should be fine, however, I am not an SEO expert.

Would like to hear from those that are. :)
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• mr_darek
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

Bah, should have been more clear as to what I was getting at (sorry).

If most of the copy is within a layer in the HTML document...is THAT ok with Search Engines and spidering.
  • phaugh
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

Can you post the url?
  • phaugh
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

As long as the layer is visible....it should be ok
  • i_am_dhaval
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • i_am_dhaval
  • Loc: INDIA

Post 3+ Months Ago

u will never use layer in html
  • phaugh
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

"u will never use layer in html"...what? I do it all the time...show em, hide em, make em fly across the screen...they work great!
  • i_am_dhaval
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • i_am_dhaval
  • Loc: INDIA

Post 3+ Months Ago

what is the minig of layer?
give one exa,ple
plese
  • rtm223
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Uk

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well, the original meaning of layer would be:
Code: [ Select ]
<layer></layer>

whih I think was netscape only, and does not validate. Now the word "layer" generally refers to the div tag:
Code: [ Select ]
<div></div>

I use divs as the primary structure for my sites, and this is the future of html, just as soon as people get round to seeing how dumb tables are.

There is no reason why any SE would penalise for using them. It's valid html, and easilly parsed.
  • phaugh
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

right on rtm223...100% correct....I use divs for cool menu effects that normally would require unreadable java script.
  • Mr Smith
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Mr Smith
  • Loc: Birmingham, England

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
I use divs as the primary structure for my sites, and this is the future of html, just as soon as people get round to seeing how dumb tables are.

hi rtm223,

i too much prefer the use of div tags (less code to write for a start! 8) )
however, when designing some sites and templates i found that mozilla seemed to have a problem reading some of the div style properties (i.e, it would miss out part of a border, or do it in default color and stuff like that) and so now to save time i just use tables to be safe.

i agree though......tables are a right pain..... :evil:

Joe
  • rtm223
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Mr Smith wrote:
i found that mozilla seemed to have a problem reading some of the div style properties (i.e, it would miss out part of a border, or do it in default color and stuff like that)

Interesting, I've never come across problems like that :? Was it an older version of Mozilla? If not, did you ever try validating the CSS, IE tends to be much more lenient with invalid CSS, it can parse mistakes better than moz can.
  • Mr Smith
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Mr Smith
  • Loc: Birmingham, England

Post 3+ Months Ago

rtm223 wrote:
Mr Smith wrote:
i found that mozilla seemed to have a problem reading some of the div style properties (i.e, it would miss out part of a border, or do it in default color and stuff like that)

Interesting, I've never come across problems like that :? Was it an older version of Mozilla? If not, did you ever try validating the CSS, IE tends to be much more lenient with invalid CSS, it can parse mistakes better than moz can.

hm, i'll re look into that. what you say about IE explorer between lenient is probably right, sometimes you can make mistakes, read the code again and again and not be able to notice it. :(
  • rtm223
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Mr Smith wrote:
hm, i'll re look into that. what you say about IE explorer between lenient is probably right, sometimes you can make mistakes, read the code again and again and not be able to notice it. :(

Anytime I get an unexplainable error in mozilla I validate. It's so rare for there to be bugs in it, that it's generally me made a mistake, rather than them. IE bugs, however, they tend to be a different story

http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/
  • jlknauff
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
There is no reason why any SE would penalise for using them. It's valid html, and easilly parsed.

Correct. Even more so-there is less garbage for the SE to read (td & tr) so it is even better

Quote:
i too much prefer the use of div tags (less code to write for a start! )
however, when designing some sites and templates i found that mozilla seemed to have a problem reading some of the div style properties (i.e, it would miss out part of a border, or do it in default color and stuff like that) and so now to save time i just use tables to be safe.

Tables have their own problems and they don't always appear the same in browsers. The problem that you may be having with the divs is that you have to sometimes add two sets of code to accomplish the same thing in different browsers. Dig around W3Cs CSS tuts to get a better idea.
  • mobiustripper
  • Born
  • Born
  • mobiustripper

Post 3+ Months Ago

Check your order of your style properties. You must define the border size first, for example:

border: 1px;
border-style: solid;
border-color: #FFFFFF;
background-color: #000000;

I originally had my border-style first, which eliminated all the borders in mozilla, but not IE.

Hope it helps!

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 15 posts