Links on images, can SE robots follow? +

• uknightuss
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • uknightuss
  • Loc: Los Angeles

Post 3+ Months Ago

If you use jpg or gif images as hyperlinks to other pages on your site, can the spiders/bots-etc.. follow those links to the other pages, or do the hyperlinks have to be regular text links? The menu of my personal site is all images floating in a table that expands to fit the screen and I want to find out if the image links work with SE's. If not then I will need to redesign my menu system, and I am already in the process of planning a new layout that doesn't use frames as well.

Thanks to Ozzu my site has now been indexed by Google because I have a link in my signature. I had not really anticipated this before putting the link in the sig. but have done a little reading up on it since I found out my site was indexed. I had only intended on getting visitors from Ozzu when placing the link in my sig, but now that I've been indexed by Google the heat is on to make my site into something more... complete? yeah, that's the one..

Here is an interesting thread that I found at another forum which talks about getting your site indexed through signature links on popular forums and some of the problems that are involved with spammers.

Don't get me wrong when I say
Quote:
Thanks to Ozzu my site has now been indexed by Google because I have a link in my signature.
I mean that in a good way, I'm happy to be on Google and am now even more inspired to do some updates!

Thank you to Ozzu for being here and to the members who have already been very helpful to me!
  • rajputkashyap
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well, I do think personally that Image link spiders, cuase its general link what I think personally, but i dont find alt text much more impactfull...

any suggestion..

kashyap
  • Jess
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
If you use jpg or gif images as hyperlinks to other pages on your site, can the spiders/bots-etc.. follow those links to the other pages, or do the hyperlinks have to be regular text links?

spiders follow image links yes - infact in what you wrote - you answered your own question :)

The sig links in ozzu are redirected through a script that is blocked via the spiders.txt file...... so your site didn't get indexed by google through the sig link.........

See the www. image link just below your sig - that link isn't redirected - its just a plain image link - thats what got your site indexed :)
  • uknightuss
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • uknightuss
  • Loc: Los Angeles

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thank you Jess for pointing out and reminding me of the WWW image link in my posts. I hadn't even considered that as being what got my site indexed!

Jess wrote:
The sig links in ozzu are redirected through a script that is blocked via the spiders.txt file...... so your site didn't get indexed by google through the sig link.........

Are you saying that Ozzu is one of the forums that have sig links blocked from spiders?

If so, then if I did not have a "website" link in my profile but still had a link in my signature I would not have been indexed by google?

Does that make sense?
  • Jess
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

ozzu's sig links are blocked through a spiders txt yes.

So no - the spider wouldn't have found your site purely from a sig link on ozzu.
  • rajputkashyap
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

ozzu's signatures do count on my backlinks... what do you say, does it not help in SERPs?

Please suggest...

kashyap
  • Jess
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

rajputkashyap wrote:
ozzu's signatures do count on my backlinks... what do you say, does it not help in SERPs?

Please suggest...

kashyap

Well seeing as you only added your sig a few mins ago - my guess is its the www image/link thats giving your your backlinks from ozzu
  • rajputkashyap
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

first of all! didnt understand
Quote:
www image/link
. Please explain.

Seconf, I searched on "ozami web directory" on google, No. 2 position shows link from ozzu..

My previous signature ie http://www.cybercom2000.com gave me good backlinking..., Yes i have updated my signature few minutes ago..

kashyap
  • monoheinz
  • Student
  • Student
  • Loc: Norway

Post 3+ Months Ago

rajputkashyap wrote:
Quote:
www image/link
. Please explain.

It's the little picture displaying "WWW" under every post.
  • Jess
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

Image - That one ;)
  • Jess
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

rajputkashyap wrote:
Quote:
www image/link
. Please explain.

Seconf, I searched on "ozami web directory" on google, No. 2 position shows link from ozzu..

My previous signature ie http://www.cybercom2000.com gave me good backlinking..., Yes i have updated my signature few minutes ago..

kashyap

Also your search for "ozami web directory" brings up a link from ozzu because them words are in the page content - not because its a backlink.
  • rajputkashyap
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

I mean what's the difference, after all it helps to find out our site, As for my case, my company site not coming under some keyword, but after posting in ozzu, a link appears in G,

So I think it helps

kashyap
  • Jess
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

do you know what a spiders.txt is kashyap?
  • rajputkashyap
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
do you know what a spiders.txt is kashyap?

Well :) It is used to instruct crawlers, robots, which files/directories to crawl or not crawl, is that what the file means to me...

kashyap
  • darksat
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: London (via the rest of the world)

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think you mean robots.txt
  • Jess
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

darksat wrote:
I think you mean robots.txt

lol yea thats the one. Just been putting a spiders.txt onto an oscommerce instalation - its on the brain lol.
  • m93rd
  • Born
  • Born
  • m93rd

Post 3+ Months Ago

So having www pic link, will help you get indexed from google?

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 17 posts