links that redirect, are they bad?

• beann
  • beann

Post 3+ Months Ago

if somebody using a system that hides the actual url (like this): http://www.somesite.com/html/modules.ph ... link&cid=3

do the search engines consider these tyoes of links "Duplicate Content" and can you get penalized for having your link in directories like this?
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• phaugh
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

I don't think you can receive a penalty. Usually penalties can only be applied to thing that you have total control over. Otherwise we could wipe out the competition by giving them a penalty.

As for the usefulness or benefit of the link...I'd say pass. The link is really not a link to your site in the eyes of the se's. They see it as a link to another internal page in directory site and do not see the redirect on the linked to page pointing to your site.
  • beann
  • beann

Post 3+ Months Ago

thanks for your response :)
does the site linking TO your site gain anything? (such as a point for carrying whatever content your site holds)?
  • willthegeek
  • willthegeek

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think that the search engines ignore anything past the '?'. Many of my clients use links that contain tracking codes and there has been no problem, even in these turbulent times.

If they are 'good' or 'bad' depends on how they are used. If they are direct copies of affiliate sites, then they come under the 'duplicate content' penalty. But if they are used simply to make the link easier for the surfer to read, then there is no problem.

Remember that the SE just looks at links and content. It cannot judge the value of a link. If it finds that the content is the same as other pages, it will dump the entry from the directory.

Hope all that makes some sense.

Regards,

Will
  • phaugh
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

"Remember that the SE just looks at links and content. It cannot judge the value of a link." ..google is all about link analysis. It's one of the main parts of the algo. A search engines ability to "judge" links is very common. PR is a factor, although decreasing, in how a link is judged as well as the anchor text the link uses and the page and content it points to. A link is not just a link....and not all links are equal.

Links may also play a role in latent semantic indexing (http://citeseer.ist.psu.edu/deerwester90indexing.html). By linking to a resource that that complements your theme you can expand the theme of your own site.

IE. I have a real estate site in a ski town. I linked to an article from Ski Magazine...soon after I'm starting to show up for Ski Real Estate. I didn't initially optimize for that term. I did some additional on page SEO..no off page stuff and my position improved to #3.

This is really more a theory since I really can't attribute the ranking to the single link...but nothing else seems to explain it any better.
  • Bidera
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Bidera

Post 3+ Months Ago

All that I have read is that you have to be increasingly careful in your outbound links these days. If you link to too many questionable sites, you will get penalized.

I have heard that theory that linking to good sites will actually help you as well, but remain unconvinced that it does anything by itself. That is you have to do much more than just link to good sites. :)

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 6 posts