Llinks to internal pages and popularity

• lauren
  • lauren
  • Loc: French West Indies

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi,

I apologize for my English, I am French.

My husband and I have created a destination website for the (French) island we live on, since 1996. We do have a pretty good ranking, I think. (PR6)

My job, now, is to keep it or even improve it.

Ruthless competitors have shown up 2 years ago, they started by using our name and write to all our customers. (our name cannot be protected because "our mark describe our services").

Most of you think Alexa is *plum*, and I do agree, but it seems to work. I have seen their ranking go from 3 Millions to 40 000 in 3 months, when they were only listed on page 20 of google, then you could find them on page 2 of Google. ( I bet you, they installed a booster of some kind !!!!)

We only use MAC computer, may be I should buy a PC and do the same !!!

Today, I see their popularity dramatically increased, with for example a link count of 580 links in Google, but most of them are from their own websites.

How did they do that ?

My own link count on Google shows 80 links, but none are my own pages.

Thanks for your help.

Lauren

:D
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Thermit
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

Alexa means nothing to rankings in the SERPs.

Backlinks are good. Get more backlinks with your keywords in the anchor text from other websites, this is the best way to outrank your competitors.
  • alpha
  • Student
  • Student
  • Loc: Philippines

Post 3+ Months Ago

yes get as much as posible backlinks with related contect to your site.
  • DodgeCroft
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

Seeming that you know the island well why not write some articles and submit them to ezines and so on. Obviously with links pointing to pages of interest on your site.

And more backlinks. Having a PR of 6 means that you should only get sites with the same or higher avoid lower. Many people will happily link to you.
  • alpha
  • Student
  • Student
  • Loc: Philippines

Post 3+ Months Ago

you can even earn extra buck by exchange links if your sites have a high PR
  • DodgeCroft
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

From the help I have received from this forum, I am only happy to pass on what I have learnt.
  • madmonk
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • madmonk
  • Loc: australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
From the help I have received from this forum, I am only happy to pass on what I have learnt.

keep up the good will. :)
  • DodgeCroft
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

What's a bet that next time Lauren needs help, She'll be back here! Because of me obviously.

Finally one of my peers thinks I did something right!!!
  • lauren
  • lauren

Post 3+ Months Ago

Submitting articles to the ezines (PR6 or Higher, of course) is a great idea ...

Extra bucks is not bad either, except, I do not want to sent my readers away from my website.
And long term advertising sells might decrease, if I loose readership.
  • DodgeCroft
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yeah sure that is a problem but with SEO you might be sending some people to other sites but in the same breathe you should expect more visitors to your site. At the end of the day it's a balance I think.
  • lauren
  • lauren

Post 3+ Months Ago

May be.
But I do beleive links to external sites lower your rankings.
  • DodgeCroft
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

In an ideal world your website shouldn't have any links to other sites. All the information that a visitor could possibly want should be available. All the other sites relating to your search term include a link to your site. Inbound links. But instead of linking to you others just copy your information for the use on their site making one way links very scarce. Hence we all exchange links!
  • MidwestMerchant
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: TX

Post 3+ Months Ago

lauren wrote:
May be.
But I do beleive links to external sites lower your rankings.

I am sorry but I have never heard of this to be true. It is actually good to exchange a few links with good/high pr sites related to your field. If your website is selling blue widgets..it might be a good idea to have a link exchange with a high PR site that sells blue widget covers another item that relates to blue widgets. This way your exchanging links that target consumers in your field but not really competitors. From what I know this seems to work great and can help with your PR

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 13 posts