So many small directory web sites... do they make money?

• Tim Otool
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Tim Otool

Post 3+ Months Ago

This is another question out of my curiosity.
I have noticed that there are so many small directory (search engine) kind of web site.
They seem like maybe they will get 10 visitors a day.

I would guess that they are trying to make money...
Do they make money?
What's the likelyhood of them making money?
Or
Do they do it mainly for fun?
  • Jess
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

My directory is purely for fun and I have spent way more money on promoting it than i've made from it.

I think people make them expecting to make money from them and then realise that unless their directory has something special - like an edge somehow - they are not profitable. As you say - too many of them around now.

However the phase will pass - I remember when every other site on the internet was a dating site, before that a reunion site....... and so on :)
  • bb99
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • bb99
  • Loc: Singapore

Post 3+ Months Ago

i belived its their hobby . Just like some people like fishing, is just that their hobby is building a directory which they think is great an useful.

I also wish i could have a directory. A directory which is build by me.
  • madmonk
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • madmonk
  • Loc: australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
I think people make them expecting to make money from them and then realise that unless their directory has something special - like an edge somehow - they are not profitable. As you say - too many of them around now.

I agree with you Jess. these people are just trying to make money out of it. how? my best guess is that they will link exchange for free at first and when they have good PR,, they will expect $$ for inclusion in their directories. Good directories will pay for advertisements and massive promotion to be popular. These small directories are just link exchanging and expecting massive traffic...

of cuz There are other reasons besides $$ as well. :-)

Till now, I didnt see any good and new directories that are worth mentioning.... and .... guys......Not every directory has good traffic!!!

ps. I think you have done your directory right Jess. heheh. you should be losing a fair bit of money if your serious about it...
just my 2 cents.
  • discountdomains
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • discountdomains
  • Loc: Telford UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

I make a reasonable amount of money each month from paid listing and advertising, directory promotion is time consuming (but fun!).

I am sure if I divided the hours of time by the income it would be disappointing.

Clare
  • djtheropy
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • djtheropy

Post 3+ Months Ago

ive even had my share of direcory making :P

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 6 posts