META desc. and keyword tag questions for dynamic pages

• horkam
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Loc: Central, KY

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hey all,

I am working on an automotive accessories site that is based on perl/mysql . The site relies heavily on a search script for all of the search results and for the menu links as well. My question has to do with how to handle the META tags for SEO reasons. For instance, if you click on a product from the menu like 'fender flares' you will see a dynamically generated page that returns all of the results for the specific subproduct 'fender flares' in the database. The results page in this case lists 5 different fender flares and this is where I run into the problem. I have META keywords and descriptions stored in the database for the individual product pages, but for the search results page that lists all the different products, I don't know what to do.

It seems that I could collect all the keywords, strip duplicates and then insert those. But would this be considered spamming keywords since there could easily be 100 or so aggregated from the pages. Also what in the world can I do with the descriptions as they would make no sense if they were aggregated the same way.

Or am I just going to have to not include any META tags on this page because it just wont work like I need it to? Is it bad for SEO to not include any of these tags anymore or have search engine algorithms moved beyond even caring what is in the META tags...HELP!!!

Any info is greatly appreciated.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• ctrenks
  • Student
  • Student
  • ctrenks

Post 3+ Months Ago

I suggest using the search term as the keyword, also think about how a search engine wil get to that point, will it actually start a search?

Possibly link your products together with a "also see" then use that aas the keyword as mete tags have lost 99% of thier value now anyway.
  • horkam
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Loc: Central, KY

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks for the reply. As far as the search engine initiating a search, that is taken care of by the menu. We have a javascript menu with links to the dynamically created pages, so the "search" happens anytime someone clicks on a product subcategory. And yea, I have a css noscript styled menu also with all of the same liinks.

I have decided to keep keyword and descriptions in a table in the database and associate those with the subcategories that are in the menu as most search engines still use the META Description tag for their SERP's. As far as the other searching goes, I will do as you suggested and just use the search terms for the title and the Keywords.

Thanks again.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 3 posts