Meta Tag keyword question

• homer simpson
  • Student
  • Student
  • homer simpson

Post 3+ Months Ago

How many keywords is too many?

I'm running a site that wil have several categories but I want to make the main category broad. Should I still only focus on a few keywords for the main page or is it ok to be broad for that page?
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• SpiderWeb
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • SpiderWeb
  • Loc: Quebec, Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

Keywords Meta Tag are not that important these days ..

why ? Because the "major" search engines are not using this anymore.

only few keep using these keywords.

I am not saying all meta tags are bad.. !! !no no no !

i am only saying that the keywords tag are not used anymore on almost every search engine. If your site code got meta tag keywords on it... just keep em there.. No need to spend time to remove em.

Keep your time into other meta tag like descriptions etc... this is way much useful for getting peeps into your new website.

hope it helps
  • john5269
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • john5269

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm not 100% sure, but I think most search engines pull the keywords from the actually page that its indexes itself and not from the metatags.
  • pompei
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • pompei

Post 3+ Months Ago

Overuse of keywords in meta-tags could also be considered spammy, so keep them to a minumum if you're going to use them. e.g., don't fire the keyword list full of "spam, spam spam, spams, spammers, heavy spam, light spam"...
  • john5269
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • john5269

Post 3+ Months Ago

I don't know if this is true or not, but I had noticed that I had missed putting the Keywords Meta Tag on a few pages of my site. Well these pages that has no Keyword Meta Tags seem to have a higher ranking and also seem to get more visitors from google than the pages that actually has the Keywords Meta tags inplace.

I have also gone to some sites that are listed high up in google and some of them also do not use the Keywords Meta Tag.

I have heard that some search engines don't use the Keywords Meta Tag to list sites anymore, but maybe it is best to not have it at all.

What do you all think?
  • rjmthezonenet
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: St. John's, Newfoundland, Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

Search engine companies are very secretive about what criteria is used for ranking. Most, however, have suggested that META keywords has been dropped. Not only because it was abused by spammers, but on the assumption that the page content is what is truly relevant. META description is sometimes used by search engines that don't create dynamic summaries. Recently, ALT and TITLE attributes have been giving higher importance. Whatever the case, everything is subject to change. Except....

...writing good pages. Focus on keeping relevant words towards to top of the page. You'll do even better if the words are in the same paragraph, line, and used in the same order and given to a search engine as keywords.

Don't forget word form variations!
  • Ashly
  • Loc: Indianapolis, Indiana

Post 3+ Months Ago

Its the content more then anything !!
  • john5269
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • john5269

Post 3+ Months Ago

The major search engines takes most of their information and keywords from your actual pages, but I would still use keywords within your metatags as some of the search engines still really on the keywords metatag.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

A great resource to learn from is http://searchenginewatch.com

It'll keep you current and tons of great tips there.
  • bob9999
  • bob9999

Post 3+ Months Ago

Inktomi is probably the only major search engine that still uses META keyword tags:

http://www.inktomi.com/products/web_sea ... cyfaq.html

A safe way to create these tags is to use phrases which appear on your pages. Here's a tool which lets your create keyword META tags from a keyword density report:

http://www.searchenginepromotionhelp.co ... dProcessor

I hope this helps,

Bob
  • SEO Guy
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Loc: Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

I dont think the original question referred to the actual meta keyword tag but to targeting of your page itself:

A rule that any good seo will tell you is that you should limit your onpage targeting of kw's to three speciic kw phrases per page and not repeat that same targeting on each page. Remember Google is a page to page engine that will only rank at best a max 2 listings for any keyword for 1 domain, thus its best to theme your pages based on the most appropriate kw's for that pages content. 100 page site makes 300 targeted kw's to rank for, now that is enough traffic to make anyone happy :-)

AS for the meta kw tag I suggest people start sitting up and taking note again. Inktomi still uses it and Yahoo has announced that within the first quarter it will be switching to Inktomi results, thus 30% of that Prescious Google traffic will now be considering the previously defunked tag.

A note however when using the kw tag in inktomi NEVER include keywords that have nothing to do with the page ie: dont place apples in there if your about oranges or you can actually do more harm then good and really whats the point of spamming the kw tag when quality gets you so much farther anyways.

Proper format for inktomi btw is kw1,kw2,kw3 etc note there is no space after each comma, you will of course use spaces for phrases within commas though such as kw phrase1,kw phrase2 etc

Cheers

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 11 posts