New Directory

• directorysearch
  • Born
  • Born
  • directorysearch

Post 3+ Months Ago

A new directory have just arrived: Directory Search, the professional business directory

http://www.directory-search.org

Directory Search is based on cross-referenced categories in order to facilitate the search of professionals, looking for them by theme and location.

The directory is still empty, but I invite you to add your professional web pages to fill it bit by bit.

Regards
  • Minne
  • Student
  • Student
  • Minne
  • Loc: Small Sports

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks, I suggested a catorgory for it :D
  • directorysearch
  • Born
  • Born
  • directorysearch

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm just writing to talk about an improvement we have accomplished in Directory Search.

Taking into account comments coming from different forum users, we have changed a bit the location thing. Many people were not totally satisfied with the way we managed the urls submitted (geographically).

Now the way of browsing the directory is a bit different. As we explain in the directory itself:

"By specifying a location you are only refining the entries shown in each category. Urls located in a specific location (for instance, Chicago) are also shown in more general ones (Illinois, United States, North America and "World")"

So you can even forget the location structure and browse "global" sites (and, although you must submit urls to a specific category, your web sites will appear as "global" for those not worried about locations).

We have changed the subject categories structure too. And many of you will note the PR increase as well ;)

Hope this makes the directory more useful.

Regards.
  • dr nick
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • dr nick
  • Loc: Frankfurt

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi,

directorysearch wrote:
And many of you will note the PR increase as well

A quick question in reference to PR: will getting a website into your directory actually transfer PR to the added website? One of my sites is in your directory (and only in your directory), and Google hasn't crawled by yet (its been a while).

If you structure your site so that it doesn't run entirely off scripts, you may see more people wanting to get in on the PR and thus grow quicker.
  • directorysearch
  • Born
  • Born
  • directorysearch

Post 3+ Months Ago

The links in Directory Search are plain text links, not javascript nor affiliate links, so they are spiderable.

Google has not been showing new indexed pages for a long time... (it's updating PR and backlinks right now) Moreover, the directory is quite large, and googlebot takes long time to spider it.
  • musik
  • Legend
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: up a tree

Post 3+ Months Ago

I am interested to know why you would create a new search engine when there are already so many out there, do you get the traffic to justify its funding?
  • directorysearch
  • Born
  • Born
  • directorysearch

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
I am interested to know why you would create a new search engine when there are already so many out there

DS is not a search engine (though we have included one), it's a directory. There are many directories over the internet, it's true, but DS is unique due to the cross reference structure. People can easily look for professionals geographically. Try to do the same in Yahoo or ODP, you'll find duplicated categories, cross categories, different tree branchs... Try to list your site, you will find many categories to submit for. In DS you submit to just one category, and a specific location. People will find you both if looking for global sites or looking for sites localized in your location.

Quote:
do you get the traffic to justify its funding?

DS has a considerable traffic, and it's growing up daily
  • musik
  • Legend
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: up a tree

Post 3+ Months Ago

well dang I think its a great idea, good for you. :wink:

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 8 posts