New Forum

• technovate
  • Born
  • Born
  • technovate

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi there! I have a new SEO/webmaster Forum I'm looking for some help with. For starters, what kind of fourm topics would interest you? ANd what would make you want to post on my forum? I was thinking of offering 5 non-reciprocal links for 50 posts. Let me know if this kind of offer would interest anyone. Thanks.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

It's not the offers that make a difference. First of all you can't expect to gain interest or traffic to your forum overnight. And you won't get it from gimick offers like that. Second to be offering SEO services and advice, it's totally inappropriate for you to not even optimize your own forum. Any of us that have been around for awhile that have any interest in SEO would not be interested in your forum or advice, simply based on that. That is not meant to be harsh, but it's the reality. You are currently running with an obviously new stock install of phpBB with a subSilver theme and no optimization.

The first thing you need to discover before trying to harvest visitors is how to optimize it, via mod_rewrite. You can search for that here on either search engine board or programming board to get more details. There's also an SEO hack you can find at phpBBhacks.com

Truthfully I think you have a long way to go before you really attract some interest.
  • technovate
  • Born
  • Born
  • technovate

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks for the advice. As I mentioned the forum is new and I'm fairly new to the forum game. The forum will be optimized, that is a certainty. Right now I'm on a fact finding mission more than anything to find out what sort of topics people would be interested in. And I know gimmicks aren't the best answer but you have to start somewhere and my offer is genuine. I know there are a lot of webmasters out there who would appreciate non-reciprocal links which is why I'm offering it.

ATNO/TW wrote:
It's not the offers that make a difference. First of all you can't expect to gain interest or traffic to your forum overnight. And you won't get it from gimick offers like that. Second to be offering SEO services and advice, it's totally inappropriate for you to not even optimize your own forum. Any of us that have been around for awhile that have any interest in SEO would not be interested in your forum or advice, simply based on that. That is not meant to be harsh, but it's the reality. You are currently running with an obviously new stock install of phpBB with a subSilver theme and no optimization.

The first thing you need to discover before trying to harvest visitors is how to optimize it, via mod_rewrite. You can search for that here on either search engine board or programming board to get more details. There's also an SEO hack you can find at phpBBhacks.com

Truthfully I think you have a long way to go before you really attract some interest.
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: Sub-level 28

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'll be real honest. The fact that you're asking how to promote your SEO/Webmaster forum really does not instill confidence regarding you or your site, and what it may offer to participants.

Plus, you say the forum will be optimized, but nothing has been done to it so far.

I'd work on getting the site's SEO done before attempting to attract an array of members.
  • technovate
  • Born
  • Born
  • technovate

Post 3+ Months Ago

What I mean by that is optimizing the site and getting it listed on the search engines is one thing. I'm not worried about that. But if they come to the site and see an empty forum it won't get people to sign up and post. Kind of like a catch 22. I've never marketed a forum before so this is new ground which is why I'm asking for some advice rather than try to take a stab at it in the dark I'd rather be more informed to save me some time.

Axe wrote:
I'll be real honest. The fact that you're asking how to promote your SEO/Webmaster forum really does not instill confidence regarding you or your site, and what it may offer to participants.

Plus, you say the forum will be optimized, but nothing has been done to it so far.

I'd work on getting the site's SEO done before attempting to attract an array of members.
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: Sub-level 28

Post 3+ Months Ago

Right, so optimize it and get it in the search engines.

You will get people coming in and making the odd post here and there, and that will help build you up.

Nuke some of those forums though. There's no point you having separate Google, Yahoo & MSN forums all sitting there empty. Just have a single "Search Engines" forum, and then split it up into Google, MSN, Yahoo, whatever-specific forums as the traffic justifies it.

When you have a new forum, you want to start with the minimum amount of forum areas as possible.
  • technovate
  • Born
  • Born
  • technovate

Post 3+ Months Ago

That actually is helpful. Thanks.

Axe wrote:
Right, so optimize it and get it in the search engines.

You will get people coming in and making the odd post here and there, and that will help build you up.

Nuke some of those forums though. There's no point you having separate Google, Yahoo & MSN forums all sitting there empty. Just have a single "Search Engines" forum, and then split it up into Google, MSN, Yahoo, whatever-specific forums as the traffic justifies it.

When you have a new forum, you want to start with the minimum amount of forum areas as possible.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Many of us who run forums spent many months making the bulk of the posts ourselves. The posts you make need to be content rich. One liners and links to new articles don't help you initially with the search engines. It's the content that will give you relevence with the engines.

It helps to have a partner or a couple friends to start with that are willing to keep some conversations going in the posts. It helps make your new board appear that people are taking an interest.
  • boohlick
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

technovate wrote:
Hi there! I have a new SEO/webmaster Forum I'm looking for some help with. For starters, what kind of fourm topics would interest you? ANd what would make you want to post on my forum? I was thinking of offering 5 non-reciprocal links for 50 posts. Let me know if this kind of offer would interest anyone. Thanks.

I think its a good start ..hehe.
What is the URL?

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 9 posts