Newbie Help

• Gnome_101
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hey all,

I just started getting into SEO, and had a few questions.

1) I am listed in DMOZ and if you do a search on google for Hobbyspeed we come up, how do I acquire page rank? How long does that take?

2) Are my frames hurting my placement/PR?

3) I saw in the server logs that Google Bot and MSN bot spidered me, but what exactly does that do for my placement/link populatiry?

4) I have been working a lot lately on getting back link, and adding them to my web-site, do these link need to be spidered before they will appear when I do a link:http://www.hobbyspeed.com?

5) I also had a previous domain and now have it pointing to my current domain, is that going to have a negative effect on my SEO attemps? the previous domain was http://www.slotspeed.com and when you go there it directly point to hobbyspeed.com

Current domain : http://www.hobbyspeed.com

Thanks a lot for all your help

Kris
  • Buster
  • Student
  • Student
  • Buster

Post 3+ Months Ago

I am no expert on SEO at all (infact I know nothing about it) but I notice that you are using frames.... and your <no frames> tag is empty.

From how I understand it google is not frames compatible and thus it will be unable to crawl your site in its entirity. There may also be other search engines which have similar drawback. As it stands all google will see is a blank page (check out the cache of your site on google).

I am sure that someone will be only to happy to point out ways around it and perhaps help with a snippet of code.
  • vetofunk
  • A SEO GUY
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Chicago

Post 3+ Months Ago

How do you aquire pagerank?
You need to get as many sites pointing to your site as possible. Try to have these site's be in your same business area...meaning do not exchange links with everybody. Make sure they all point to http://www.domain.com, not domain.com and domain.com/index.html or anything like that. Keep them all pointing to the main page. The dmoz listing should give you some PR. Also, pages within your site pointing to your homepage will increase your overall PR.

Google only visually updates PR once every 3 -5 weeks.

Are frames hurting me?
Possibly, frames are never a good thing. You might want to lose them.

Bots and PR
Nothing if you do not have other sites pointing to you. It does tell you that you are in the index so that is a start.

Backlink Work
Yes, there has to be a PR update for you to actually see your backlinks. You can also use the google toolbar to see backlinks.

Last Question
It should't hurt it, but I would eventually drop the other domain.

Tip-
Title tag should always have the name of your site at the end. The first text in the title is the most important to put your keywords first!
  • Gnome_101
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

thanks for your help, Buster and vetofunk. I had read here about the frames being a negative. I saw that google had gone past the frames and was actually looking into the pages of the site. I need to change the site to PHP/SQL but I am slowly learning how to do that as well so....thanks again!
  • Buster
  • Student
  • Student
  • Buster

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
I saw that google had gone past the frames and was actually looking into the pages of the site.

You may indeed be very correct. I am afraid I am actually going back to the days when you would look in google and endlessly see the no frames tag as the description. One would hope that they have moved forward since then :lol:
  • Gnome_101
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

I was impressed, google, yahoo, and MSN Bots went further than the hope page. Still though a site map would insure they get to everything.
:?
  • discountdomains
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • discountdomains
  • Loc: Telford UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi,

Try reading a few of the search engine articles on my site.

Clare

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 7 posts