Observed relationships between traffic and search rankings

• dr nick
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • dr nick
  • Loc: Frankfurt

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi,

I mentioned this in another post, I thought a new thread might be interesting, namely:

What kind of ratio do you observe between search results rankings in generating traffic?

For instance, I usually find that placed no. 10 gets more clicks than 5-9 probably because its closer to the next page buttons. I was wondering what kind of differences can be expected between a no. 1 placement vs no. 2, 3, etc.
  • b_heyer
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Maryland

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'll usually go through the first two or three links, then just scroll till I find something intersting. So your hypothesis seems correct that the tenth link would ge the third or forth most hits off of each search.
  • deadZ
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

I certainly have noticed huge increases in traffic (like 2 or 3 times) for some keywords when I got bumped up from 8th to 1st. I've also seen boosts like 1.5 times when going from 3rd to first if their was a competing relevant sites ahead of me.

I have often wondered about what the averages are, like what percent click on the 1st and so on, and how many surfers actually go to the second page. I haven't seen any such stats, but I would think that they would be fairly similar amoungst all major search engines. Somebody must have released this info somewhere.
  • UNFLUX
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: twitter.com/unflux

Post 3+ Months Ago

b_heyer wrote:
I'll usually go through the first two or three links, then just scroll till I find something intersting. So your hypothesis seems correct that the tenth link would ge the third or forth most hits off of each search.

that's also pretty much what i do as well. depending on the results of
course. this is definitely interesting.
  • JohnScott
  • JohnScott
  • Loc: Seattle/ Tokyo

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'd think that #1 through #3 are the most visible, but if the page titles and/or domain do not entice the user, you could get no traffic from those rankings.
http://www.internet-marketing-research. ... ng-ctr.php

In that article, I addressed some factors which determine SERP CTR's, such as descriptive file naming, and creating page titles that appeal to humans.

8)
  • dr nick
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • dr nick
  • Loc: Frankfurt

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks for that JohnScott, very interesting. I was wondering, what population size did you test on and to what degree were the results statistically significant? Also, did you focus on any particular age groups?
  • JohnScott
  • JohnScott
  • Loc: Seattle/ Tokyo

Post 3+ Months Ago

It was a very large survey done here in Vegas on the strip. We tried to get an accurate cross-section of the general population. The full results will be published here:
http://www.internet-marketing-research.net/survey.php

It included several tests which produced more interesting facts - such as page factors recall which showed that most users were not even seeing banners even when they were prominently placed.

It's just a huge amount of data which needs to be put into a format which is searchable by demographic group (age, income, ethnic, etc).
  • Marcus
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Loc: NYC

Post 3+ Months Ago

I always click on the bottom link on the first page of google, I never click on 1 through 5 no matter how enticing the link is when the topic is really broad and has a lot of hits.. :)

when the topic is very niche, then i go for the top links.
  • pompei
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • pompei

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think as long as you're on the 1st page, traffic is pretty decent. Of course, getting #1 is best, and although its hard to say for sure, my 'feeling' is that it'll get you a good 20-50% more hits than, say, position 5 or 6, but not double or triple. People really do read down the results when they are looking for something...so if yours looks best, chances are you'll get the click.
  • clifffrog
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • clifffrog

Post 3+ Months Ago

Getting on the first page is what counts, but getting no.1 will definately get you the most traffic.
  • phaugh
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think alot of this is based on what type of sites you are dealing with. If your shopping by price you may be tempted to click more links to get a better sample of the price range. How about the PCP ads on Google....I never seem drawn to the top two that sit above the unpaid results, but rather I shoot for the top ad in the right hand column....
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: Sub-level 28

Post 3+ Months Ago

Personally, if I find the info I'm looking for in the first 2 or 3 links, I'm done. If I don't find the info, I shift+click every other link on the page n' click next, heh.

Then as the next google page is loading, I flick through the windows to see what's on those pages.

So, yeah, unless I don't find what I want in the first 2 or 3 links of a search, I don't generally look beyond them. And even if I don't find what I want in the first 2 or 3 links, I may not loko at those further down the page, I may simply enter a new search phrase to get more accurate results.
  • phaugh
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

Shift+click ! very nice. Yet another reason to have quick loading pages.
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: Sub-level 28

Post 3+ Months Ago

And another reason to not use flash for links on a website ("Open in New Window" rules) ;)

Yeah, I know, OT for the thread, but I had to do it ;)
  • vetofunk
  • A SEO GUY
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Chicago

Post 3+ Months Ago

I wanted to add that when I look at the conversion rates on my site, I see that I get better results being listed 2-5th position than 1st.
  • clifffrog
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • clifffrog

Post 3+ Months Ago

That's pretty interesting. Do you have any percentages about how the traffic is distributed amongst the top 10 positions?

Strickjacke Schneidemaschinen

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 16 posts