Optimising a forum

• Fitness4Living
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Belfast, Ireland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hello there.

Before you say it, yes I have extensively searched Ozzu today and I have not found exactly what I am looking for.

I have a recently launched forum. It has not been edited or modded in any way. I would like some helpful person to give me a list of the things that I need to do in order to help it get indexed and a better PR and all that. I know about mod_rewrite and sitemaps but I don't have a clue about to do either! I am a total beginner in forums and phpbb.

So, can someone give me a step by step beginner guide on how to mod rewrite, make a sitemap and do any other modding that will help in the optimisation of my forum for search engines.

Thanks for your help.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Fitness4Living
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

ok, after 8 hours of trying to do a mod rewrite im giving up. I would be very grateful if someone could send me a mod rewritten .htaccess file if i send them my original. I really am stuck, if i wasnt i wouldnt be asking such a thing.
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: Sub-level 28

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well, how the .htaccess file looks depends on which mod_rewrite modification you setup on the forum.

If you've edited phpBB's files (which really you'd need to), you could've told it to output anything..

For example, on here, forums are forum#.html, on one of my forums, I use photo-forum#.html, on other forums I've seen various other filenames used.

With regard to a phpBB sitemap, I just wrote a phpBB sitemap generator a few days ago. It's GPL, so feel free to download and give it a whirl :)

http://www.gotaxe.com/phpbb-sitemap.php
  • Fitness4Living
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

thanks axe
  • etechsupport
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

You need to think about the topics that are covered and the purpose of your forum. Contents are most important to your forums that keep visitors and customers coming back again and again. It is also equally important to discover Your Keywords and Phrases which is most relevant.
  • MISC/A++
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: UnderGround

Post 3+ Months Ago

mod rewrite:
http://www.phpbbhacks.com/download/2207

able2know has a very good Search Engine Optimization mod + a mod_rewrite you, should try it:
http://www.able2know.com/forums/about15132.html

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 6 posts