Optimized page design

• wormser
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • wormser

Post 3+ Months Ago

Most sites seem to have their directories on the left side of the page, and this is nice to use, but I am wondering if you all think it would be better to put the directory on the right side so your text comes up first. Would this help from misleading bots about the pages content ? Can a header fix this in any way ?
What are your thoughts ?
Thanks
-Adam
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

English speaking countries (and others) read left to right.

Some languages read right to left.

For presentation I'd say go with your prefered target market preference.

For bots, I think they just read whatever they find first regardless of direction or placement. They read the code. Your users don't.
  • zero7
  • Born
  • Born
  • zero7
  • Loc: Australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

yeah its just for aesthetic reasons....watever your users will find more comfortable.
  • Big Bill
  • Loc: surrey, uk

Post 3+ Months Ago

wormser wrote:
Most sites seem to have their directories on the left side of the page, and this is nice to use, but I am wondering if you all think it would be better to put the directory on the right side so your text comes up first. Would this help from misleading bots about the pages content ? Can a header fix this in any way ?

Assuming you use a table layout, then jiggle with the table (colspan comes to mind here, IIRC) so that while the menu on the left appears first visually on the screen in the code it appears second, after all your keyword-rich content. I've got an example or two of this stashed on my HD somewhere if youwant to get in touch.

BB
  • Ifrit
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Portugal

Post 3+ Months Ago

It's called free mind, free your mind do what you feel like, wow the public.

Tho i once tried some weird stuff and people didnt react too well.
  • Johan007
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Aldershot, UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

SE are not stupid anymore and they know where the content is if you start the page with H1 tag. If you must have content first then do so and stick the navigation at the bottom of the HTML but using a layer and CSS show it at top, left or right for users!

Left navigation happened by mistake! The best place for navigation would be the Right because you read left and when you finish you look more to the right and your mouse is often to the right of the page to begin with.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 6 posts