Is my page layout going to put me in SE oblivion?

• BaDD CoDeR
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi,

I am in the process of SLOWLY coding a large site of about 60+ pages. I had only done a couple of websites years ago & everything has changed since then. So I am really having to figure it out as I go. But I was thinking of SE ranking the whole time.

Today I woke up realizing I may have made a big mistake. I have one layout I'm using on every page that has links to almost every other page on the site. BUT...... I put a bunch of the links along the left side. So, u get a tiny bit of text at the top, then a TABLE with only links to other pages on the left, then CONTENT in the middle of the table, then a third column with more links.

I just remembered that having the content so far down the page may mess up the ranking. Is that still true? What are my options? (i can tweak individual pages a bit if I need to, to adjust them for specific search engines. But I would prefer not to have to take off the main layout becuase I liked the consistency and the ease of getting anywhere on the site.)

I will really hate it if I have to make a new layout design. I didnt use a lot of graphics but just relied on the layout and color to create the whole branding and feel of the site.

Will my rankings be OK or do I need to change it?
Thanks,
BaDD CoDeR
  • phaugh
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

Is the site live...can you post the url?
  • BaDD CoDeR
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

It's not live yet. I'm super slow at getting it together.

But I suddenly realized today I may have made a bad mistake .

Basically, it's ...

related key words
then a table w/3 columns
column 1 = links around site
column 2 = main content text
column 3 = more links to site & then some links to items off site

When it's done I was going to post it at some time. But before getting I keep putting it together I thought I should do a quick check on the layout. Hope that is enough info to give you some idea.
THANKS for the help!
BaDD (and very slow) CoDeR
  • phaugh
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

It sounds ok to me...but I would have to see the html to understand more. My suggestion is that if your unsure of how it will be viewed by search spiders don't let them in...you can do that by restricting access to the site in the robots.txt file on your server.....this way you can get some feedback from forum members before you let the spiders look at it.....it can be hard to recover from some penalties if you unknowingly do something wrong.

You can read more about the robots.txt file here: http://www.ozzu.com/other-google-information-and-resources/google-and-robots-txt-t22542.html

Also check out the site review section when you get the site posted: http://www.ozzu.com/forum39.html
  • phaugh
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

related key words
then a table w/3 columns
column 1 = links around site
column 2 = main content text
column 3 = more links to site & then some links to items off site
So it looks like this?
My dashed and dotted links didn't look the same as they do in the post window...try this graphic: http://www.mvcomputers.com/stuff/layout1.jpg
  • BaDD CoDeR
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi Phaugh

Yes! It looks exactly like your sample WITH THE ADDITION of some top text, i.e., . . .

key phrase, key phrase, key phrase, key phrase, key phrase
LARGE-PRINT-NAME-OF-SITE

and then the table you created ...

THANKS!
BaDD CoDeR :)
  • phaugh
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

That should be fine...just make sure you don't have a bunch of java script at the beginning of the html that will cause the spiders to have to read stuff they can't index...if you need JS...use a <script> tag to include a seperate JS file...looks like you on the right track!
  • BaDD CoDeR
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks Phaugh!

I will try to avoid the extra javascript.

Based on what you said I have one more question though. I'm afraid it's the "dumbest of the dumb questions," but I don't know what to do but ask . . . :D

Here is the page header. I have not yet written meta tags and was going to add that at the end. But so far I have

<html>
<head>
<title>Page Title</title>
<style type="text/css">
<!--
A:link { text-decoration: underline; color: #00009C; }
A:hover { color: #00CDCD }
A:nav:visited { color: #008B45 }
A:nav:visited:hover { color: #00CDCD }
-->
</style>

</head>

I'm not sure if those CCS are actually javascript. For some reason I suspect they are. Is that code OK? Or is that going to bother the spiders?

Also, after I wrote everything I was planning on checking it in different browsers and maybe adding some additional code if needed to keep the look consistant.
THANK YA SO MUCH FOR THE ADVICE!!! BaDD CoDeR
  • phaugh
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

The code looks fine...the spiders will have no trouble reading it...or avoiding it....it's standard css...only change I would make is to put it inside a seperate file...then replace your current code with this.

<link rel="stylesheet" href="css/mystyle.css" type="text/css">

this assumes you've created a folder from the root of your site called css and that you created a .css file called mystyle.css in that folder...you can use notepad to create the file just make sure it has the .css extension.

This will do two things...1. allow you to make one change in the .css file that will affect all the pages that use that file for formatting.....2. It will make your code more compact and easier to read...for you and the spiders.
  • BaDD CoDeR
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Wow-how-How!
The separate css file was one great bit of advice. I just did it! Thank you so much!!!!!

It's so much cleaner and easier now! 8)
  • phaugh
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

glad to hear it!
  • Petebadger
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Petebadger
  • Loc: Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

It is a time consuming way of coding but I would suggest that you divide your sites content by way of using div classes and div layers.

U can replicate all tables on the page this way and reduce the actual code read by the spider, you can also ensure that the spider reads the meta tags first (of course) and then the content, it may be displayed much further down the page but you can place the content code layer first within the body.

If you are only using a simple table set up, I would suggest that you convert your tables to layers using the dreamweaver option (if applicable) this will start you off and would problably make my explanation clearer.
  • Petebadger
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Petebadger
  • Loc: Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

As an addition it should be noted that this REALLY works and will help greatly with optimisation, I have personally reduced an index page containing many diffferent tables and fonts from 1300 lines of code to under 100. with the main content the first part of the body read by the spider.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 13 posts